O'Carolan's Farewell

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
mmapag

O'Carolan's Farewell

Post by mmapag » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:18 pm

I tried a search but came up empty. Does anyone know of a good and accessible score of this piece? I've heard several and one I really like is John Feeley's version.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

simonm
Amateur luthier

Re: O'Carolan's Farewell

Post by simonm » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:11 pm

If you liked that, have your listen to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap-Gvqaq80I The lady playing uses O'Carolan arrangements by Keith Hinchliffe. You can get them fairly easily. She plays a number of tunes.

Benjamin Verdery has a great arrangement of "Blind Mary". Easy to find on youtube. He has four O'Carolan pieces in the book but that one alone makes the book worth the money in my view.

You can find all of Carolan's music on the net easily enough but many arrangements are very poor.

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Thanks Simon. I was struggling to come up with a good arrangement on the net.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:42 pm

This site is a good starting point for O'Carolans music for guitar. http://docsworkshop.co.uk/carolanindex.htm Mike Lydiat (The Doc) has arranged 200 plus O'Carolan tunes and has links to the "original" collections (2) which just have the melodies. (O'Neill and Sullivan).

I can't judge the arrangements as there are so overwhelmingly many that I never know where to start. :-)

Well worth a look.

Pat Hargan

Post by Pat Hargan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:28 am

'Carolan's Farewell' is in 'Celtic Harp Music of Carolan and others for Solo Guitar' by Glenn Weiser. The arrangements in this book are straightforward and mostly in standard tuning, with a few in drop-D.
Raimundo 660E - D'Addario Pro Arté EJ45 Normal Tension

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:08 am

Pat Hargan wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:28 am
'Carolan's Farewell' is in 'Celtic Harp Music of Carolan and others for Solo Guitar' by Glenn Weiser. The arrangements in this book are straightforward and mostly in standard tuning, with a few in drop-D.
I am not a fan. I had the book at one stage and got rid of it.

Pat Hargan

Post by Pat Hargan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:47 pm

simonm wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:08 am
I am not a fan. I had the book at one stage and got rid of it.
I like the fact that the arrangements stick pretty closely to standard tuning. I had a look at Mike Lydiat's site that you linked above: a great resource, no doubt, but the tunes are arranged in over a dozen non-standard tunings! The Weiser book is much more practical, if you need a couple of pieces to play at a wedding or other event.
Raimundo 660E - D'Addario Pro Arté EJ45 Normal Tension

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”