Alexandre Tansman : publishers and/or source manuscripts?

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Dirck Nagy

Alexandre Tansman : publishers and/or source manuscripts?

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi musicologists!

I'm looking for Published versions and Manuscript Sources, if available, of guitar music by Alexandre Tansman which are NOT Segovia editions. (i.e. not Schott or Eschig)

I'd especially like to find other editions of:
  • Cavatina (including Danza Pomposa)
  • Suite in Modo Polonico
Any ideas where these might be?

cheers!
dirck
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

Dirck Nagy

Re: Alexandre Tansman : publishers and/or source manuscripts?

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:47 pm

Anybody...?
2015 John H. Dick
1952 Vincente Tatay

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:59 pm

The version I have of the Suite in Modo Polonico is published by Escher, but it was "revised and edited" by Frederic Zigante, it is in a 2012 edition. I don't know if that is the same as the Segovia editions, it doesn't say what he might have changed. It does list the 1968 Segovia edition as source material so perhaps it is identical with only changes to the fingering.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:37 pm

There is an interesting publication in the Berben Andres Segovia Archive series entitled Alexandre Tansman, Posthumous Works, edited by Frederic Zigante. These are works from the Segovia archive (never actually played or even edited by Segovia) that Zigante has edited for publication (mostly by fingering the pieces, but in one case transposing the key and in others altering the metrical notation).

The volume includes facsimiles of Tansman's manuscripts, a catalogue of Tansman's guitar works and their publication history and some biographical information about Tansman and his collaboration with Segovia. It seems that Tansman's musical style in composing for the guitar was influenced by Segovia's requirements and that his non-guitar works are generally somewhat different in style - Segovia steered him towards a neo-classical style (as is clearly indicated by the Suite in Modo Polonico).

A snippet of information about Tansman I had been unaware of was that he was taken to a concert by the Belgian violinist Eugène Ysaÿe when he was six years old where he heard the Bach Chaconne for the first time and was so moved that he there and then resolved to become a composer.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:23 am

pogmoor wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:37 pm
There is an interesting publication in the Berben Andres Segovia Archive series entitled Alexandre Tansman, Posthumous Works, edited by Frederic Zigante. These are works from the Segovia archive (never actually played or even edited by Segovia) that Zigante has edited for publication (mostly by fingering the pieces, but in one case transposing the key and in others altering the metrical notation).

The volume includes facsimiles of Tansman's manuscripts, a catalogue of Tansman's guitar works and their publication history and some biographical information about Tansman and his collaboration with Segovia. ...
Do you know if Zigante has done an edition of the more famous pieces, or is it just the "Posthumous Works"? Which pieces are included in facsimile?

I would absolutely LOVE to see any manuscript / clean copy / pre-publication scores for Cavatina or in Modo Polonico!

cheers!

dirck
2015 John H. Dick
1952 Vincente Tatay

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:24 am

astro64 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:59 pm
The version I have of the Suite in Modo Polonico is published by Escher, but it was "revised and edited" by Frederic Zigante, it is in a 2012 edition. I don't know if that is the same as the Segovia editions, it doesn't say what he might have changed. It does list the 1968 Segovia edition as source material so perhaps it is identical with only changes to the fingering.

Has anyone here compared Zigante's edition with older editions?
2015 John H. Dick
1952 Vincente Tatay

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”