Request for duets; for one part open strings only

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Request for duets; for one part open strings only

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:40 pm

Here's a thought, one I have across in a different context, but I'd be interested to see what we can make of it here. I have now two people who for a while will need something to play using only opem strings (one has a broken arm, the other a trapped nerve). I'd be very interested to know if anybody has any suggestions for existing material (preferably freely available online), or whether anybody would like to have a go at writing something. I will write something and will post it here (or probably in the right place somewhere else!) but would welcome any suggestions or contributions.
There's quite a range of standard, the arm is a post grade 8 and the nerve is a pre grade 1, but since the main thing is just to have something to play I doubt complexity for the open strings would be a very big deal. Don't make me work too hard! :oops:
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

muirtan

Re: Request for duets; for one part open strings only

Post by muirtan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Do you want different pieces for each? I was thinking for the post grade 8 a tricky rhythm against a slow solo piece maybe.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:37 pm

muirtan wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:10 pm
Do you want different pieces for each? I was thinking for the post grade 8 a tricky rhythm against a slow solo piece maybe.
On reflection some differences would probably be good, there being rhythms one wouldn't ask the less experienced to read, even if perhaps fairly easy to play - all part of the balance to strike when thinking about these things.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:51 pm

For the beginner: If memory serves there's a duet in one of Debbie Cracknell's "Enjoy Playing Guitar" volumes which uses a simple open string arpeggio sequence for one part and Noad book one has some accompanied open string execises.

For the post grade 8 -something using natural harmonics at III, IV, V, VII, IX and XII for the one player and artificial ones for the other could work and Villa-Lobos' "Distribuiçao de Flores" should be fairly easy to rework for two guitars.

Also (as it happens I broke my left shoulder just about two years ago) I devised a piece for my own amusement which included right-handed tapping/ligado patterns and thumb-slapped basses combined with harmonics and percussion. I'm not prepared to go public with it as I might work it up into a full blown composition at some point but the concept works ... I'm sure that you could knock something up in no time Stephen. Not exactly classical in style but fun.

N.B. You do need short nails for that sort of thing.

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”