Looking for some Vangelis transcriptions for guitar

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
laukejas

Looking for some Vangelis transcriptions for guitar

Post by laukejas » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi guys,

I am a big-time Vangelis fan (he's a Greek composer, originally known as Evangelos Odysseas Papathanassiou). I am wondering if there are any pieces of his that are transcribed for guitar. Namely, these three pieces:

Hymne
La Petite Fille De La Mer
Chariots of Fire

Now, I did google around for a few days, and I'm only asking this out of desperation, because I found nothing. Well, there were a few transcriptions, but they were horrible - barren, primitive, or very uncomfortable. I am wondering if maybe any of you had done any transcriptions yourselves, or if you found some gems that don't appear on the first 10 pages of google search. I would greatly appreciate it. Worst case scenario, I'll transcribe these pieces myself, but I'm not that good at it, so. :)

Thank you in advance. Looking forward to any kind of replies.

sxedio

Re: Looking for some Vangelis transcriptions for guitar

Post by sxedio » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:03 pm

Hi laukejas. Vangelis is quite fun. What I've done with chariots of fire is get the sheet music in a piano edition. It's in D flat. I ignore all the flats, and imagine there is a D major key signature instead, tune the guitar's 6th string to D and play from the score. The piano left hand in the score I have does little than a low D bass note or occasionally an A, both playable as open strings on the guitar. You play the right hand on the treble strings at pitch, melody mostly on the 1st E string, going up to the 10th fret D. It mostly works, worst case you shift something by an octave to make it playable. With the first opportunity I'll record a 30 second mp3 for the works in progress sub forum. I never created a guitar score, maybe I should.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:59 pm

30s recording of my playing in the work in progress forum
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:34 pm

"Finger-picking Movie Music", published by Hal Leonard, has a guitar arrangement of "Chariots of Fire". I can't speak about the quality, though, since I've only seen the beginning at an online retailer.

laukejas

Post by laukejas » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks, sxedio, the method you described is quite playable. I'll try to write that down properly for my students.

Altophile, is that transcription any good? I couldn't find it online, and I don't want to buy a cat in a bag :/

What about the Hymne? Have you seen any proper transcriptions of that one? I found one on Youtube in D major, but it's very barren, and yet still difficult to play.

What about the famous Conquest of Paradise? Has anyone seen it for guitar?

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”