Beethoven Pathetique "Adagio"--arrangement

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Rognvald

Beethoven Pathetique "Adagio"--arrangement

Post by Rognvald » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:13 am

Is anyone aware of another transcription of "Pathetique" for CG other than Tarrega's? I have been re-working many of his voicings/fingerings and thought, perhaps, there is a different arrangement available. Thanks. Playing again(and writing) . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

soltirefa

Re: Beethoven Pathetique "Adagio"--arrangement

Post by soltirefa » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:20 am

Rognvald wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:13 am
Is anyone aware of another transcription of "Pathetique" for CG other than Tarrega's? I have been re-working many of his voicings/fingerings and thought, perhaps, there is a different arrangement available. Thanks. Playing again(and writing) . . . Rognvald
This one says by Tarrega but revised. So maybe it'll have some ideas you can use.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... EJaalVLc2M

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:29 pm

Wow! Thanks, Solti. I just looked at the first PDF and it is quite different from my edition(Union Musical Ediciones S.L.-- UMG18108). I'm going to print them today and do some revisions. Thanks for the help! Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:10 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:13 am
There are probably many others, but there are excellent arrangements of this piece in the following anthologies:

1. Bella: The Incomparable Artistry Of Angel Romero, published by Hal Leonard
2. The Classical Guitar Compendium: Classical Masterpieces Arranged for Solo Guitar, by Bridget Mermikides, published by Hal Leonard
3. Meet Liona Boyd at the Classical Guitar, published by Alfred Music

All three of these anthologies also include other fine arrangements.

The Bella book has Angel's arrangements of all tunes that appear on his Bella CD, which is my all-time favorite:-)

The Classical Guitar Compendium includes technical studies by Sor, Tarrega, Giuliani, Carcassi, and Aguado, along with arrangements of music by Bach (Air on a G String; Joy of Man's Desiring; Prelude from Cello Suite No. 1), Beethovan (Adagio from Pathetique Sonata; Fur Elise; Moonlight Sonata), Brahms (Lullaby), Chopin (Nocturne Opus 9 No. 2; Prelude Opus 28 No. 4; Prelude Opus 28 No. 20), Debussy (Clair de Lune; La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin), Dilibes (Flower Duet from Lakme), Faure (Pavane), Grieg (Hall of the Mountain King; Morning Mood from Peer Gynt), Massenet (Meditation from Thias), Mozart (Clarinet Concerto 2nd Mvt; Piano Concerto No. 21 Andante; Rondo alla Tarca), Pachelbel (Canon), Puccini (Nessum Dorma), Ravel (Bolero), Satie (Bnossienne No. 1; Symnopedie No. 1; Gymnopedia No. 3), Schupert (Traumerei), Tchaikovsky (Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy), Verdi (La Forza del Destino), and Wagner (Ride of the Valkeries), all for under $20 with access to download her performances of the pieces!

Linoa's book has many fine pieces as well, including her arrangement of Malaguena (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3FlG2uJgY8), a nice solo guitar arrangement of a popular movement from one of Vivaldi's concertos, etc. This volume is out of print, but you can still find it used online.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:54 pm

Thanks, Alto,
I'm currently editing my original copy in relation to Solti's edition and have just finished the first 16 bars. In section 1(bars 1-8), I've retained a few of the richer voicings of the original transcription while simplifying specific fingerings in bar 8 in the second edition creating, for me, a much richer and better-flowing result. In bars 9-16 employing octave harmonics, I like the original voicings but have used the new edition's octave harmonics which were, overall, more sensible and easier to execute at proper tempo. As an example, in measures 10,11, 12, and 14, the original edition uses the octave harmonic E in 5th position second string when an open E 1st string provides easier execution and, to me, better clarity. And, so it goes. When I finish this madness, I'm also going to look at your further suggestions to tweak it to a final version. Thanks again for the reply. Playing again and writing . . . Rognvald

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:17 am

Rognvald wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:54 pm
Thanks, Alto,
I'm currently editing my original copy in relation to Solti's edition and have just finished the first 16 bars. In section 1(bars 1-8), I've retained a few of the richer voicings of the original transcription while simplifying specific fingerings in bar 8 in the second edition creating, for me, a much richer and better-flowing result. In bars 9-16 employing octave harmonics, I like the original voicings but have used the new edition's octave harmonics which were, overall, more sensible and easier to execute at proper tempo. As an example, in measures 10,11, 12, and 14, the original edition uses the octave harmonic E in 5th position second string when an open E 1st string provides easier execution and, to me, better clarity. And, so it goes. When I finish this madness, I'm also going to look at your further suggestions to tweak it to a final version. Thanks again for the reply. Playing again and writing . . . Rognvald
All I can say is: Wow! You work fast:-)

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:10 pm

All I can say is: Wow! You work fast:-)
Altophile

Well, Alto,
I have played this piece for a considerable time and it would be similar to touching up scratches on your car . . . . you know where they are and you just have to fix them. Playing again . . .Rognvald P.S. I finished p.1 of 3 last night. I hope to finish it this week.

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:01 pm

Fred Nachbaur published his own fully fingered arrangement (Adagio from Piano Sonata #8) in 2002 with a note: "Free circulation permitted and encouraged". There is also an earlier version from 1998.
Send me PM is you can't find it on the Net.
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”