Mysterious barricades

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
rburns

Mysterious barricades

Post by rburns » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:12 pm

I'm looking for additional versions of Mysterious Barricades, especially the Parkening arrangement. Is it available? - Rick

Altophile

Re: Mysterious barricades

Post by Altophile » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:42 pm

From Hal Leonard's site:

Parkening and the Guitar – Volume 2

Guitar Solo
Series: Guitar Collection
Publisher: Hal Leonard
Artist: Christopher Parkening
Author: Christopher Parkening

Nine more selections for the advanced guitarist: Clair de Lune (Debussy) • Giga (Visée) • The Girl with the Flaxen Hair (Debussy) • Gymnopedie Nos. I-III (Satie) • The Little Shepherd (Debussy) • The Mysterious Barricades (Couperin) • Sarabande (Debussy).

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:29 pm

The David Russell transcription of that piece is easily obtainable online to print out from the publisher for a very reasonable price. I find his transcription very beautiful.

If you go to David's website it has it listed with a link to the publisher. That sheet music comes with a couple other nice pieces too. Les Sylvains is a great piece by Couperin.

MArtin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:36 pm

许理和·海牙·荷兰 Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:02 am

Does anyone know whether John Williams's arrangement has ever been published? He plays it slower and in a different key with a drop D or drop C tuning (if memory serves) and it works well, IMO.

You can hear his performance of it on his Baroque Guitar CD, which, unfortunately, is the only CD he ever dedicated to the Baroque period.

bergmann

Post by bergmann » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:40 pm

Swedish guitarist Stefan Wester has done a nice arrangement of this Couperin piece too. If you search "the mysterious stefan wester" you should get a link :-)

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 pm

I saw Ben Verdery perform this piece on YouTube, which makes me wonder whether he did his own arrangement?

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:28 pm

Hello,
Here is a transcription in A major, with the 3rd string tuned to F# : http://www.tabazar.de/partituren/index. ... g=1&page=1

In my opinion, it sounds better than the usual C major while being easier to play.
regards,
Gilles

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:56 am

Richard Yates offers a this tune in Tab, here:

http://yatesguitar.com/pdfs/lute-Couperin-MystBarr.pdf

I hate tab, but if you can deal with it, then this may be a nice alternative.

Yates comments about the arrangement as follows:

"This is well-known to guitarists but transcriptions often attempt to duplicate the four voice texture of the original. This is not necessary as the natural tendency of guitarists playing this kind of texture is to allow notes to ring over anyway. A tablature version illustrates this idea. The version here is well within the reach of intermediate guitarists yet will sound nearly identical to the version played by Christopher Parkening. [2 pages, 129KB]"

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”