Krick Collection

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Brock

Krick Collection

Postby Brock » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:18 pm

classicalcomp has drawn our attention to The Krick Collection in another thread. The Krick Collection includes many scores by Mertz, including all the Opern-Revue and Bardenklange. There's also plenty of William Foden's early Ameican, CG which includes arrangements of folk and popular tunes. PLus some other composers. A great resource so I've made this a sticky.

The catalogue doesn't seem easy to search unfortunately.

Anthony Campanella

Postby Anthony Campanella » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:25 pm

:bravo:
From the WU Website http://library.wustl.edu/units/music/spec/krick.html
"George C. Krick, 1872-April 2, 1962, concert guitarist and teacher of classical guitar. He was born in Germany and came to St. Louis at the age of 16 where he studied with William Foden. Later, he joined Foden on the New York concert stage as well as concertized independantly and directed the George C. Krick Music Studios in Germantown, Philadelphia before he returned here at age 70. After his death the 21 volumes of solo guitar music that he had had bound were given to this university by his family in 1963. They include works by Albeniz, Coste, Foden, Giuliani, Legnani, Mertz, Regondi, Sors, Tarrega, Terzi and Zani de Ferranti. The collection was indexed in 1974 by Alan Rosenkoetter, Guitar Instructor in the Music Department.

There is an index available
http://library.wustl.edu/units/music/spec/krick.html#index
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brock

Postby Brock » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:13 pm

Thanks Classitar.
Incidentally I see the Krick collection was divided and 'half' is at Colorado University but I don't think that's digitised and free to the web (there's quite a lot of music that's still copyright in their holding).

farhad

Postby farhad » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:12 pm

Thanks for the link.As you said not easy to search.but there are many nice scores out there.

phantomlimb

Postby phantomlimb » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:52 am

thanks for posting

MickeyD

Postby MickeyD » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:11 pm

Dear Brock:

Thanks a lot. This is a gold mine.

Claus

Postby Claus » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:46 am

A gold mine - but the gold is har earned. Unfortunally quality of the scans is 'so-so'. But already found a few nuggets as well :D

shuoshuowang

Postby shuoshuowang » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:53 am

Good resource! Thank you!

classicalcomp

Postby classicalcomp » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:22 pm

A special note on the quality of the pdf's. The whole collection was placed in microfiche back in the 80's I believe and that is where the scans are coming from. So the recent advances in technology are certainly not there. That being said, there are a lot of good pieces in the collection and maybe one day, we can get a group of us together to redo the manuscripts in Finale or Sibelius. That being said, I'm glad I could help contribute some findings.

Best Wishes,
Benjamin.
“(I was) my own teacher and pupil, and thanks to the efforts of both, they were not discontented with each other.”
- Andres Segovia

nico cojo

Re:

Postby nico cojo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:05 pm

Claus wrote:Unfortunally quality of the scans is 'so-so'.

That doesn't bother.
Thank you for this interesting link :)

Anthony Campanella

Re: Krick Collection

Postby Anthony Campanella » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:19 pm

"JOHANN KASPAR MERTZ, the renowned guitar virtuoso and composer was born in Pressburg, Hungary, August 17,1806 and died in Vienna, October 14, 1856...............

And so begins the Biography of Johann Kaspar Mertz by George Krick in ETUDE Magazine, September 1940, Volume LVIII, Number 9, page 637, 648

Read the Full Article at http://www.icoldwell.com/robert/music/etude/LVIII_09.html

"The Etude was a U.S. magazine dedicated to music, which was founded by Theodore Presser (1848-1925) at Lynchburg, Virginia, and first published in October 1883. In 1884, Presser moved his publishing headquarters to Philadelphia, and his Theodore Presser Company continued the magazine until 1957."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Etude

Brock

Postby Brock » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:46 pm

Thanks for this link. This explains well why there is so much Mertz in the Krick Collection.

Incidentally I see that the Krick collection of guitar scores is split between Washington University St Louis (linked in the first post) and Boulder University Colorado. As far as I can see the Boulder portion isn't available on line.

ggubooo

Postby ggubooo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:39 pm

Thank you for this link.
:bravo:

havardrt

Postby havardrt » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:59 am

Hey

thanks for posting the link

boboca