PUBLIC DOMAIN (definitions)

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

PUBLIC DOMAIN (definitions)

Postby Jean-François Delcamp » Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:28 am

PUBLIC DOMAIN refers to works that are not protected by copyrights.

Concerning the exchange of sheet music :

-If it is work in the public domain that you have personally written on paper, or if it is one of your own compositions, we encourage you to give a copy to anyone you choose, since the work is in the public domain, or is your personal property.

- In contrast, you will be in violation of the site rules if you exchange a photocopy of a copyrighted published print version of a work, even if the work itself is in the public domain, because in this case you are robbing the editor/publisher of his/her just compensation. If you give away a photocopy of the work of a living composer’s printed work, you are robbing two people... the composer and the publisher.

To take a concrete example:
-If you have a facsimile of an original Bach prelude that you have copied by hand or by computer... no problem... you are not harming Bach who died more than 70 years ago, or a publisher.

-In contrast, if you purchase a printed version of the same Bach prelude and give away a photocopy to someone, you are stealing from the publisher, who is entitled to remuneration for his/her efforts...

We encourage the following:
- Purchase the sheet music with others.
- Lend, exchange or resell the original copy of your sheet music.
- Donate your sheet music to a library or other publicly shared archive.
:( + ♫ = :)

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

The rules of exchange of music sheet of this forum

Postby Jean-François Delcamp » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:47 am

The rules of exchange of music sheet of this forum
Which items are protected by copyright?

Works whose author or arranger is still alive, or who died less than 70 years ago, are protected. For example, the works of Villa-Lobos, Piazzolla, Rodrigo and Brouwer are protected by copyright. Arrangements by Segovia, Yepes, and Bream are also protected, even if they are arrangements of authors in the public domain like Bach or Albeniz. Messages offering copies or links to to sites that offer works that violate the copyrights of an author will be removed by the moderators of the forum.

Jean-François Delcamp
:( + ♫ = :)

HoustonSy

Re: PUBLIC DOMAIN (definitions)

Postby HoustonSy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:36 pm

Perhaps this is a dumb question for which I apologize in advance:
If a performer/composer creates a new arrangement of a copyrighted composition, does this circimvent the copyright of the original copyrighted composition?
Sy

Azalais

Postby Azalais » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:48 pm

If the original work is still copyrighted... you can't post a subsequent arrangement of it. (You can't do an arrangement of a Beatles song for example)

If it's an OLD piece, already in the public domain, you CAN do a new arrangement and YOU can copyright the arrangement (if it's different) This is why some pieces like Segovia's, Llobet's and Yepes' arrangements of early works are also not permitted... the arrangements are copyrighted.

Vesuvio

Postby Vesuvio » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:10 pm

Hello Sy,

I think this answers your question:

Arrangement of works
To take a specific example: 'Isaac Albeniz (1860-1909)' is in the public domain, but 'Isaac Albeniz arranged by Andres Segovia (1893-1987)' is not, Segovia being dead less than 75 years.
If the composer or arranger is still alive or died less than 75 years ago then the work is still protected by copyright.This applies also to sound reproduction.

It is from the general rules of the forum in section III of viewtopic.php?t=1550 .

Best wishes, V

EDIT Hello Azalais, I had not realised you were posting as well, I did not get the usual alert to say another message had been added.
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Azalais

Postby Azalais » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:44 pm

Thanks V...

HoustonSy

Postby HoustonSy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:27 pm

Thank you—the Forum rules are clear.

During my internet search for Alvaro Dalmar classical guitar compositions, this excerpt from a description of the contents of a Carlos Barbosa-Lima CD has me confused:
“ Colombian composer and guitarist Alvaro Dalmar (1923 '" 1999) went to Hollywood where he worked on film scores and taught guitar. His extensive output comprises some 2000 folk-influenced works. Barbosa-Lima has arranged a number of Dalmar’s works from manuscript and brought the neglected music of this talented composer back into circulation, including Soy (“I am”) and Poema de Amor (“Love Poem”).”

This precipitated my original question.
Sy

Azalais

Postby Azalais » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:05 pm

It's always possible that he (or the record label) obtained permission from the copyright owner... (There are also some works that do directly into the public domain if there are no heirs)

sxedio

Re: The rules of exchange of music sheet of this forum

Postby sxedio » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:21 am

Jean-François Delcamp wrote:The rules of exchange of music sheet of this forum
Which items are protected by copyright?

Works whose author or arranger is still alive, or who died less than 75 years ago, are protected.

However, in the rules elsewhere it says : Works by anonymous composers and those where the composer or arranger has been dead more than 70 years belong to the public domain.

Is it 70 or 75?
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

owl

Re: The rules of exchange of music sheet of this forum

Postby owl » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:51 am

sxedio wrote:
Is it 70 or 75?

French law states 75 years... as this site comes out of France then it is covered by French law... so it's 75 years

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

sxedio

Postby sxedio » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:22 pm

Well, can the moderators please update the How To Participate in the Forum part of the rules? Also, my uploading of Limehouse blues violates copyright, as Philip Braham died in 1934.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Brock

Postby Brock » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:58 pm

French copyright is 70 years. There are some exceptions to take account of war years (typically 75 years) and also for those who died in active service(100 years), but I think those exceptions only apply to French composers.

sxedio, if your mp3 had not respected droits d'auteurs it would have been removed a long time ago.

Let's end this fruitless discussion and follow the rules M. Delcamp sets to abide by the law of his country, which is where his website is based.

owl

Postby owl » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:03 pm

Brock wrote:French copyright is 70 years.

I stand corrected!

This might explain it a little more for you sxedio

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

SrDedosRapidos

Postby SrDedosRapidos » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:18 pm

What about the performance of an artists work that you have purchased an arrangement of? I.E. Some of Torroba's work; It isnt in the public domain, but am i in volation of law for playing in in a public place for no gain of profit?

A lot of my best pieces are Torroba's, and im looking to hit the cafe's soon, and ive got a lot of work ahead of me if i cant play a good deal of my repertoire :shock:

estrasino

Postby estrasino » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:20 pm

Here is a discussion about this subject... perhaps you will find some useful information:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15268&hilit=club+owner

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”