Bach - BWV 1012 - Prelude - Cello Suite No 6 in D

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
jimmyblues

Bach - BWV 1012 - Prelude - Cello Suite No 6 in D

Post by jimmyblues » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:17 am

Bach, good ol bach, that boodiful rocknroll crazy blighter that he is...!

right, hokay maybe this should be in the 'Search of Sheet Music' section...but....

does anyone know of any decent CG transcriptions for this piece? Or whether any recorded CG version exists? it a beautiful piece of music, fantastic, lively, and well well well ahead of its time...

i have found a version on a nawty tab site (obviously i wont mention it here...) which seems to be a note for note transcription of the cello score..just wondering if anyone had transcribed it more professionally for the guitar, adding more basses, chord tones etc.

ANy other discussion concerning this piece is welcome too...love it? hate it? dont know it?

cheers all, keep typing and twinging

:D jdc
Autumn.

Martin

Re: BACH - BWV 1012 - Prelude - Cello Suite No 6 in D

Post by Martin » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:41 pm

I have an edition of the entire suite arranged by Michael Lorimer, published by Charles Hansen, New York 1976. I believe John W. Duarte also published an edition.

I don't know of a CD recording (although I'm sure one exists) but Yamashita plays it on youtube here:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdRB5QGCDFU

Martin
If all else fails, try reading the instructions...

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:53 pm

jimmyblues wrote:
right, hokay maybe this should be in the 'Search of Sheet Music' section...but....
Hey Jimmy,

You're right. This does need to be in the "Search of Sheet Music" sub-forum so that's where you'll find it.

Respectfully,

Vito :bye:
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

jimmyblues

Post by jimmyblues » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:45 pm

Martin wrote:I have an edition of the entire suite arranged by Michael Lorimer, published by Charles Hansen, New York 1976. I believe John W. Duarte also published an edition.

I don't know of a CD recording (although I'm sure one exists) but Yamashita plays it on youtube here:-

Martin
Thanks for that Martin,

Ill have a look at Yamashita's performance when I get a chance, that should be what Im after.

Autumn.

jimmyblues

Post by jimmyblues » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:49 pm

Simplicio wrote:
jimmyblues wrote:
Hey Jimmy,

You're right. This does need to be in the "Search of Sheet Music" sub-forum so that's where you'll find it.

Respectfully,

Vito :bye:
you the boss sir!!

but i didnt put it in here initially just cos i wanted some more discussion/opinions on the piece, rather than just the location of the music.

But i abide by your decision cptn!

cheers

jdc
Autumn.

Brad Little

Post by Brad Little » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:06 pm

Martin wrote:I have an edition of the entire suite arranged by Michael Lorimer, published by Charles Hansen, New York 1976.

Martin
Lorimer also has an edition of the six preludes only. The prelude from the first 'cello suite has been one of my favorite pieces for years, I'll have to dig it out and play it some.
Brad Little

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:48 pm

Martin wrote:Yamashita plays it on youtube here:-
Just wow!

Tanamá

Post by Tanamá » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:59 pm

I found another interpretation of this piece. It has some noises, but the performance is simply exquisite. The full Suite VI is available by Lagudin. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bZ6BUzOvlE

EGP

mike

Post by mike » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:27 am

I love this prelude too. You can get a great interpretations by listening to the cello play it on youtube. It's supposed to be really difficult on the cello where he does all of the sixth intervals beginning with the "A" chord on the tenth fret. I always really loved the sort of "question answer" part there towards the end and I try to sustain each phrase as long as possible to get that 'two instrument sound'. It looks like really a stretch for the cello. I too came here looking for a version since I lost the Lorimer version I had years ago. Luckily I still have it memorized except for a couple notes but I wanted to see if there was a version here so that I could get it right.

Rocket88

Post by Rocket88 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:36 pm

I like Stanly Yates's transcriptions of the Cello suites.

john connor

Re: Bach - BWV 1012 - Prelude - Cello Suite No 6 in D

Post by john connor » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:24 pm

I agree with Rocket88 - Stanley Yates' transcriptions of all the cello suites are excellent - I've heard some comments to the effect that they're too simple and, in particular, that he doesn't do enough to bring out the implicit chordal structure to make the pieces more "guitaristic", ie, by adding in a load of bass notes.

However, I can't agree - to my mind, Yates' versions are by far the best for the guitar - with the faster sections especially the arrangement style allows you to play at high speeds as if they were originally written for the guitar.

Easy to come by too, as they're published by Mel Bay - there may be a few freebies available on Stanley Yates' website - certainly worth trying out.

Whooper

Post by Whooper » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:56 am

Dear Bach fans,

For youre reference, in Japan before Yamashita, Kojiro KOBUNE's transcription was a defacto standard.

Title: Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suite
Publisher: Zen On Music
ISBN-10: 4112385102
ISBN-13: 978-4112385101
Reprinted: 1998/12/10

Used one is available in a net bookstore at Yen 5,000. I had a copy of old edition but donated to a guitar club.

Regards :bye:
Whooper

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Mon May 11, 2015 5:55 pm

I found this free pdf of Cello Suite 6 yesterday.

http://imslp.nl/imglnks/usimg/9/9c/IMSL ... V_1012.pdf

wongsteven51

Post by wongsteven51 » Mon May 11, 2015 6:20 pm

I absolutely would not go with Yates for cello suite 6. You'll find that you may not like some bass note additions in certain arrangements, BUT YATES CHANGES THE MELODY!!!

Lorimer's is pretty good. I prefer it in dropped tuning though.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Mon May 11, 2015 6:44 pm

wongsteven51 wrote:I absolutely would not go with Yates for cello suite 6. You'll find that you may not like some bass note additions in certain arrangements, BUT YATES CHANGES THE MELODY!!!

Lorimer's is pretty good. I prefer it in dropped tuning though.
I watched a bit of a YT video of someone playing Yates Cello 6 Prelude. After a few measures I was turned off. He raises entire sections an octave and it just doesn't sound good. But there are other Yates Cello stuff that I do like, so you have to take each on its own merit. I'm not against redoing or changing if it works, but in the case of cello 6 Prelude it didn't IMO.

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”