Bach - BWV 1012 - Prelude - Cello Suite No 6 in D

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Polifemo de Oro

Re: Bach - BWV 1012 - Prelude - Cello Suite No 6 in D

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Mon May 11, 2015 7:06 pm

I love this entire suite and I play it. I resorted to making my own transcription and one of these years, when I have the time and inclination, I suppose I will sit down write it out using MuseScore or something like that.

The Yates transcription has a lot of really good ideas in it, so I certainly don't discount it at all; but I also agree that it sounds a bit thin in places and not cello-like enough overall. He does change some of the melodic lines; but this is a transcription, after all, and even Bach himself, had he scored it for guitar as well as cello might have made a few changes. So, I don't agree with this particular criticism of Yates' otherwise good work on these suites.

The Lorimer transcription works well enough.

I play it with E tuning. I can certainly understand the attraction of D tuning, though. I just felt that after all is said and done, D tuning does not really buy you all that much and that certain passages work much better in the normal scordatura.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Tue May 12, 2015 1:37 am

I play it with E tuning. I can certainly understand the attraction of D tuning, though. I just felt that after all is said and done, D tuning does not really buy you all that much and that certain passages work much better in the normal scordatura.
I'm glad to hear your opinion about this. I have not learned this yet, but checked out a few scores and concluded the 6=E appeared to offer the best fingerings.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Tue May 12, 2015 3:17 am

Here is Jonathan Leathwood playing the full suite:
https://youtu.be/P6PvZlJaXxo
I don't know whos transcription it is; it is likely it is his own.

Jonathan studied with Richard Wright, and Wright's transcriptions were quite "lean", very few added frills. It is possible this is Wright's transcription...? but he only published suites 1-4 as far as i know.
Last edited by Dirck Nagy on Tue May 12, 2015 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Tue May 12, 2015 3:19 am

And this one is my favorite: Xavier Coll playing the prelude:
https://youtu.be/V6tgkcBS9to
He says this is his own transcription, and it has not been published.

cheers!
dirck
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:56 pm

Here's someone playing Stanley Yates' version. Always nice to hear what it sounds like before committing to learning a long piece.

https://youtu.be/MP2VwUqrYWU

And here's someone playing Walter Despalj's version.

https://youtu.be/UY8rk-XI4Oo

wongsteven51

Post by wongsteven51 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:56 pm

The great thing about this piece is that D is the lowest note, so if you'd like you can just tune down and play directly from the cello score. I would recommend using that as your basis and then looking at others transcriptions or listening to recordings and adding bass notes wherever you like them. That's essentially what I did to make the transcription that I posted on this forum. Feel free to check it out!

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:18 pm

wongsteven51 wrote:The great thing about this piece is that D is the lowest note, so if you'd like you can just tune down and play directly from the cello score. I would recommend using that as your basis and then looking at others transcriptions or listening to recordings and adding bass notes wherever you like them. That's essentially what I did to make the transcription that I posted on this forum. Feel free to check it out!
I did check it out (and commented). Really good job. Here's the link to that thread in case others want to listen to it.

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=102306&p=1183326#p1183326

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”