Bach 1006a - recommended version

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
richardm

Bach 1006a - recommended version

Post by richardm » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:54 pm

Firstly let me apologise if I am committing some kind of sin of etiquette. This is my first post, other than my intro. Please point me in the right direction if I am doing something wrong !

Can anyone recommend a transcription of the Bach's Lute Suite in E maj BWV 1006a ?

I have noticed there are some which use standard tuning, and others which drop the third string to f#. Does anyone have any experience of playing these? Which works best ? I have noticed that Williams uses standard tuning. Is there an edition which closely matches his version ?

Thanks for your help.
Richard.

Aryeh

Re: Bach 1006a - recommended version

Post by Aryeh » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:29 pm

richardm wrote:Firstly let me apologise if I am committing some kind of sin of etiquette. This is my first post, other than my intro. Please point me in the right direction if I am doing something wrong !

Can anyone recommend a transcription of the Bach's Lute Suite in E maj BWV 1006a ?

I have noticed there are some which use standard tuning, and others which drop the third string to f#. Does anyone have any experience of playing these? Which works best ? I have noticed that Williams uses standard tuning. Is there an edition which closely matches his version ?

Thanks for your help.
Richard.

For the Lutes Suites I like Frank Koonce's edition, it comes in a nice spiral binding, it's easy to read and while the fingerings are sometimes not to my liking it's all around the best edition out there, no doubt some people will disagree.

Of course John Williams has a superior edition of this Prelude (unfortunately not published) but what sets his apart is not the NOTES which are basically the same as all the others, it's where he places the SLURS (hammer-one and pull-offs) in the melodic line and his personal FINGERING that make it probably the most effective version I've heard.

I can't think of any printed edition that's even close to Williams so I suggest you listen closely to his recording and copy his slurs and study his video ( on YouTube and also on The Seville Concert DVD) of how he fingers this piece you can start with any version (there's a free version here on Delcamp) and make corrections as you go along. I know, not as easy as it sounds but worth the work :D

Aryeh

avoz

Post by avoz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:39 pm

On first hearing the John Williams recording of the 'Partita' it seemed to me that he had used the edition by Anton Stingl ('J.S. Bach: Lautenmusik', publisher Veb Friedrich Hofmeister, Leipzig, 1957) which also comprised the third cello suite. Julian Bream's edition, my own favourite recording, is also virtually identical to the Stingl edition but has not been published either. I have not seen the editions by Oscar Ghiglia, Konrad Ragossnig, Turibio Santos, Hans Teuchert or Karl Scheit but the version by Frank Koonce is admirable.

pmiklitz

Post by pmiklitz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:51 pm

Buy the sheet music edited by Karl Scheit (Universal Edition, Wien). They all come with a facsimile of Bach's autograph, so you can create your own arrangement :D .

Cheers,

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

toneslave

Post by toneslave » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:59 pm

Aryeh wrote:
richardm wrote:Firstly let me apologise if I am committing some kind of sin of etiquette. This is my first post, other than my intro. Please point me in the right direction if I am doing something wrong !

Thanks for your help.
Richard.

For the Lutes Suites I like Frank Koonce's edition, it comes in a nice spiral binding, it's easy to read and while the fingerings are sometimes not to my liking it's all around the best edition out there, no doubt some people will disagree.

Of course John Williams has a superior edition of this Prelude (unfortunately not published) but what sets his apart is not the NOTES which are basically the same as all the others, it's where he places the SLURS (hammer-one and pull-offs) in the melodic line and his personal FINGERING that make it probably the most effective version I've heard.

I can't think of any printed edition that's even close to Williams so I suggest you listen closely to his recording and copy his slurs and study his video ( on YouTube and also on The Seville Concert DVD) of how he fingers this piece you can start with any version (there's a free version here on Delcamp) and make corrections as you go along. I know, not as easy as it sounds but worth the work :D

Aryeh
This is almost exactly what I have done. I started with the Koonce transcipts and tinkered for a year or so then bought the Seville Concert and attempted to extrapolate the fingerings and slurs, etc from the vid. The Koonce fingerings didn't work well for me so I'd refer to the vid and in quite a few places I was able to find better fingerings. Still JW makes it all look so easy, but the transitions just make sense.

Darryl
Last edited by toneslave on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richardm

Post by richardm » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:50 am

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I will check out the Koonce edition. Does he use standard tuning for 1006a ?

A couple of people have mentioned the JW Seville Concert DVD. I having been looking for this for a while, but I cannot find in the UK, except as a US import in NTSC format, which is no good for me. Does anyone know if the DVD is available in the UK?

Richard.

toneslave

Post by toneslave » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:56 pm

richardm wrote:Thanks for your suggestions. I think I will check out the Koonce edition. Does he use standard tuning for 1006a ?

A couple of people have mentioned the JW Seville Concert DVD. I having been looking for this for a while, but I cannot find in the UK, except as a US import in NTSC format, which is no good for me. Does anyone know if the DVD is available in the UK?

Richard.
Yes, the Koonce editions are in standard tuning except the Prelude, Fugue and Allegro - BMV 998 which requires a low D tuning. The DVD is for sale through Amazon, but should be a staple of any self-respecting CG store.

Darryl

kyleherbert

Post by kyleherbert » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:32 pm

may i recomend the viktor vidovic transcription of the piece if your are looking for standard tuning it has standard tuning and it uses some easier chords than in the orriginal sergovia edition

Moderato

Post by Moderato » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:26 am

I like JW's version on the Seville concert also. I've done just what Aryeh suggested, I got all my editions together and compared each measure and then also with the JW DVD. I do that often and typically I usually make some of my own changes and mix and match. With JW's transcriptions, I find that I often agree with his solutions. I wish he would publish more transcriptions, his website hasn't been updated since the first day it started.
03 Ramirez 1a CD/BR
06 Baroque Lute - 13 Course w/Bass Rider

elvisbarrios

Post by elvisbarrios » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:58 am

kyleherbert wrote:may i recomend the viktor vidovic transcription of the piece if your are looking for standard tuning it has standard tuning and it uses some easier chords than in the orriginal sergovia edition
Viktor Vidovic, brother of Ana Vidovic? Where can I find his transcription? Did Ana play his version?

UncleJoe

Post by UncleJoe » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:05 pm

toneslave wrote:Yes, the Koonce editions are in standard tuning except the Prelude, Fugue and Allegro - BMV 998 which requires a low D tuning. The DVD is for sale through *** The forum is entirely free and free of advertising, commercial online sites are boycotted ***, but should be a staple of any self-respecting CG store.

Darryl
A version of the BWV 996 Prelude with low D tuning is also included, as well as one with standard tuning, though a lot of changes from the original have to be made in the second version.

guitarclassique

Post by guitarclassique » Wed May 16, 2012 4:58 pm

Does anyone know which version she is playing in this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRqKn0vJhNQ

thebluesbutcher

Post by thebluesbutcher » Mon May 15, 2017 9:50 pm

All very helpful. Thanks to all.
“Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart.”

— Andres Segovia

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”