searching for women composers especially for guitar music

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
singvomblatt

searching for women composers especially for guitar music

Post by singvomblatt » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:54 am

hello everybody,

lately I was looking for sheet music especially written by women composers and I could not find many. Considering the 20es century the Modern Period: Maria Linnemann comes to mind with her lovely compositions of "Desiree" "Melancholy", "Chanson du Montmartre" "Antonino" and her lovely rhythmical dances of Rumba, Round dances etc. all published by Ricordi. I just wonder if anybody out there is interessted in this topic too and has some ideas and suggestions.
I am looking also for Duetts and Trios!!!

Manny Thanks in advance: singvomblatt

Erik Zurcher

Re: searching for women composers especially for guitar music

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:14 pm

Luise Walker, Maria Luisa Anido, Dale Kavanagh are three that I can think of right away. All three were/are guitarist as well as composer.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

sniggl

Post by sniggl » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:21 pm

Hello Heidi,

Felicitas Kuckuck has composed some pieces for guitar .
http://www.felicitaskukuck.de/

On the website of Elizabeth Parcells you can listen to some songs of Felicitas Kuckuck for guitar and voice.

http://www.elizabethparcells.com/Music. ... &%20Guitar

Best wishes

Stefan
Guitar: Sebastian Stenzel (2008)

"Es ist schon alles gesagt, nur noch nicht von allen." ( Karl Valentin)

Sean

Post by Sean » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:23 pm

Just to add to the composers Erik has mentioned, there is Annette Kruisbrink, who is a fabulous composer in the modern style.

Several composers who don't actually play the guitar have written for the instrument, including Gwyneth Walker, Errolyn Wallen, and Deirdre Gribbin; the latter duo are fabulous composers in a large variety of media. And Matilde Salvador, the widow of Vincente Ascencio, wrote a wonderful set of three pieces for the instrument.

Vera

Post by Vera » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:48 am

Mauro Guilianis daughter Emilia also composed for the guitar, you find it here:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emilia_Giuliani-Guglielmi

All the best,
Vera

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:51 am

Nadia Borislova and Annette Kruisbrink are both guitarist/composers you really should check into. I have a few CDs from both of them and like a lot of their work. Both of them have also written chamber works for guitar and clarinet(s) (Borislova) and for guitar and double bass (Kruisbrink).

A chamber work for flute and guitar that might interest you is Snow Dreams by Joan Tower.

avoz

Post by avoz » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:30 am

Ida Presti was also a fine composer of solo and duo pieces and a guitarist-composer roster would include Irina Kircher, Mary Criswick, Rose Andressier(?), Betty Roe, Ruth Nunn.
Other ladies who have composed for guitar: Phyllis Tate, Jana Obrovska, Janet Beat, Joyce Barrell, Edith Canat de Chizy, Joanna Simmonds.

Brock

Post by Brock » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:24 am

19th century: Mme. Pratten www.classicalguitar.nl/pratten_sidney.aspx
21st century: Hayley Savage www.hayleysavage.co.uk/

singvomblatt

Post by singvomblatt » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:16 pm

thank you all so much for all your great input. Isn't it amazing how many women composer there are ?

Thank you all
singvomblatt

John O

Post by John O » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:55 pm

For guitar, add Fernande Peyrot (1881-1978). She has a nice Theme and Variations published by Berben.
For orchestra and chamber music, try Sofia Gubaidulina and Lera Auerbach.

singvomblatt

Post by singvomblatt » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:32 pm

Hello anybody suggested "Clocks" by Joan Tower, she is a contamporary US-amercan componist. Obviously she dedicated this piece of music to Sharon Isbin, who is of course a great classical guitar player, as you all may know. Anybody know this piece of music? how does it sound like?
Little by little I find more information, but why is it so hard ? Sometimes I just wonder if all this great men in the past and present have or had no gifted sister, mother with equal talents as they have/ had ?
take care: svb.

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:15 am

Not aware of Clocks but I do know Snow Dreams. But my favorite Joan Tower piece is Incandescence that she wrote for the Emerson string quartet which, alas, has never been recorded that I know of.

Sean Eric Howard

Re: searching for women composers especially for guitar musi

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:44 pm

John O wrote:For guitar, add Fernande Peyrot (1881-1978). She has a nice Theme and Variations published by Berben.
For orchestra and chamber music, try Sofia Gubaidulina and Lera Auerbach.
Peyrot also penned some prelues for the guitar, but I cannot recall the publisher.
"Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up." - Eliot Fisk

Hilary Field
Concert performers

Post by Hilary Field » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:23 am

Clarice Assad! There is free music on her web site, clariceassad dot com.
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent” (Victor Hugo)

Kenbobpdx

Post by Kenbobpdx » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:06 am

An old acquaintance of mine, Janna Macauslen of Musica Femina Portland, has published an annotated catalog of guitar music by women titled " Guitar Music by Women Composers". It covers from the renaissance to contemporary composers. She and her long time duo partner have commissioned and performed many new works by contemporary women composers. Worth a look.

BTW, she owns the sister to my guitar. We both studied with James Kline and she played my guitar right after Cyndy Burton built it and promptly commissioned her guitar. Both of the guitars had tops from the same piece of Engelmann spruce which has quite distinctive lined figuring.
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”