Bach violin sonatas transcription by Nicolas Goluses

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Luis_Br

Bach violin sonatas transcription by Nicolas Goluses

Post by Luis_Br » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:35 pm

I liked his transcriptions he recorded for Naxos. Specially the first sonata in G with the scordatura. Does anyone know if he had published them and where to buy them?
I've searched over the internet but I couldn't find any publication. I've found his website and sent an e-mail to him, but I haven't received an answer...

cheers,
Luis

Aryeh

Re: Bach violin sonatas transcription by Nicolas Goluses

Post by Aryeh » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:50 pm

His arr.'s are unpublished, the only copy of them for public use is in the Manhattan School Of Music Library in NYC and it's in the reference section so they probably won't lend it out for an inter-library loan. The 3 Bach Sonatas were done as part of his DMA thesis.

There were a couple of movements from the Bach Sonatas printed in Guitar Review probably about 20 years back - forget which issue(s) but at any rate it wasn't the whole sonata(s). It seems that Guitar Review has gone the way of the dinosaur because their website which used to sell subscriptions and back issues has vanished from the internet.

I would try to get in contact with Dr. Goluses via his email at The Eastman School of Music where he teaches or maybe Facebook(?), he must have a copy he can share with you.

Let us know how you do! :D

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:27 pm

According to the cd booklet "Performing editions by Nicholas Goluses are published by Tuscany editions, Temple Terrace, Florida USA". Not clear if that includes the violin sonatas
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:46 pm

Thanks for the comments.

I've emailed him but haven't received an answer yet.

I've serached Tuscany but those sonatas are not availuable.

I guess I will use my ears. It is not so difficult with the violin original in hands...
But it would be nice to check his fingerings. I liked the articulation result very much...

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:27 pm

I realize this is a very old thread, but I just bought his transcriptions at the GFA! They are published by Alfred.
Greg Byers 2016 cedar/Ind (for sale)
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br

lazyrighthand

Post by lazyrighthand » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:41 pm

Maybe I am a sucker for punishment, but the best way to play these pieces is to work it out yourself from the violin score, and not sacrifice yourself to a mirrored altar. There has been a tradition, from Segovia onwards, to stuff these pieces full of notes, whereas the reality is that they have been configured to suggest voices that are not there. To add notes is a precarious thing to do. Yes the Chaconne sounds good with all these added organ-like/grungy bass D notes (try it without, it is surprisingly nice, and doesn't require the standard but awkward addition of bass A's at various places which seems to dull the overall effect) but the rest of the pieces are pretty much good as they are. If there is anything to be changed, it is the register. For example, the Fugue in Gm rings well in either Gm or Am on the guitar, but the Presto really needs to be further down the fingerboard. Likewise the C major sonata. The Fugue is long and hard (actually I have to drop a couple of notes in some violin-shaped Dm chords) but the last movement sounds a bit gutless and exposed as it is too high up the register for much of it. Might work better in A, or even in G (with a D bass). And the famous E major gavotte, now on its way out of the solar system, the violin version is so much nicer than the standard guitar versions- the best bars are missing in the guitar ones.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:06 pm

lazyrighthand wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:41 pm
Maybe I am a sucker for punishment, but the best way to play these pieces is to work it out yourself from the violin score, and not sacrifice yourself to a mirrored altar. There has been a tradition, from Segovia onwards, to stuff these pieces full of notes, whereas the reality is that they have been configured to suggest voices that are not there. To add notes is a precarious thing to do...
Many would agree with you, but the counter argument is that Bach himself would fill out harmonies and voices when adapting his own music for another instrument. So what the modern arranger is aiming at is creating a guitar piece out of a violin piece in more or less the way Bach might have done it if he'd had the chance.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:37 pm

lazyrighthand wrote:
To add notes is a precarious thing to do.
Well, Goluses transcription is very clean in this way, and he transcribes number one with scordatura (6th to D and 5th to G) which sounds nice.
But I think adding notes might be ok if you know how to do it and it was a common practice, as pogmoor commented on Bach's own transcriptions to different instruments. Here a transcription of second violin sonata by one of Bach's sons with several added notes that sounds good to my ears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qRKRV_Cv2g
Fabio Zanon made a guitar version with some ideas from that keyboard transcription which I think is great and very well played, although I would be more rigid with fugue pulse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrTT8LwWLbU

lazyrighthand

Post by lazyrighthand » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:20 pm

Luis_Br wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:37 pm
lazyrighthand wrote:
To add notes is a precarious thing to do.
Here a transcription of second violin sonata by one of Bach's sons with several added notes that sounds good to my ears:
It is indeed lovely.

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”