Sidney Pratten, Catharina

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
jimmy6strings

Re: Sidney Pratten, Catharina

Postby jimmy6strings » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:30 am

If you can wait a short while, I have just completed a PhD which includes a 62 page chapter on Madame Pelzer/Pratten; although mainly about her involvement in the guitar trade, it updates a lot of previously published biographical material (including her DOB) and touches on her music. I will publish this, hopefully this year.

Frank Nordberg

Postby Frank Nordberg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:41 am

That's absolutely marvelous, please let us know when and whee it will be available!

francis privet

Postby francis privet » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:34 am

Fabbri wrote:Thanks for the reference, Vlad. I'm trying to register now with the RIAM library to get online access. Sounds very promising. I hope francis privet hasn't lost heart after all this time and still checks his posts for a reply.

What a stirring example of international connectivity: someone in Cornwall responds to a French request for information which is then supplied from America about a woman born in Germany who married an Englishman. And the answer lies in Ireland....

Excellent - C'était déjà la "mondialisation" avant l'heure.

Je ne consulte pas souvent mes messages sur ce forum, mais je remercie tous ceux qui ont communiqué des liens intéressants à consulter - ce que je vais faire dès que possible.

:bye:

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:02 pm

Searching for Pratten's "Twilight" brought me to this thread. Thanks to the previous posts I found a lot of Pratten's music on the RIAM site! :)

Speaking of Twilight, check this out:

Youtube

Such a lovely sound from what appears to be an original Panormo guitar.
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

Heike Matthiesen
Concert performers

Postby Heike Matthiesen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:19 pm

Just found this old thread....
I would be very curious to know if the PhD of @jimmy6strings got published!
I just released a CD including 7 of the Songs without words and I play now quite often her Carneval in concerts- and I am so curious to meet more of her music not yet discovered. Ulrich Wedemeier published a CD with music by her played on guitars that once belonged to her. There is also the piece on it of Tarrega dedicated to her which was mentioned in this thread before.
So a lot is going on in research!
Here a little bit of my album playing Pratten's "Forgotten"

Youtube
classical guitar

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:22 pm

Heike Matthiesen wrote:Just found this old thread....
I would be very curious to know if the PhD of @jimmy6strings got published!
I just released a CD including 7 of the Songs without words and I play now quite often her Carneval in concerts- and I am so curious to meet more of her music not yet discovered. Ulrich Wedemeier published a CD with music by her played on guitars that once belonged to her. There is also the piece on it of Tarrega dedicated to her which was mentioned in this thread before.
So a lot is going on in research!
Here a little bit of my album playing Pratten's "Forgotten"

The link doesn't work!

More importantly, jimmy6strings, no longer a delcamper, is James Westbrook, noted scholar and contactable via the Guitar Museum website. Bit of googling will get you there.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:39 am

2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

Heike Matthiesen
Concert performers

Postby Heike Matthiesen » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:13 pm

Thank you so much @Stephen , I found and already contacted James Westbrook, that was a huge help from you!!
Still looking for a complete list of the works of MSP, there is a long list of works of Sidney Pratten in the Janna MacAuslan catalogue, but it is not listed where to find all the pieces... :-(
classical guitar

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:02 pm

Heike Matthiesen wrote:Thank you so much @Stephen , I found and already contacted James Westbrook, that was a huge help from you!!
Still looking for a complete list of the works of MSP, there is a long list of works of Sidney Pratten in the Janna MacAuslan catalogue, but it is not listed where to find all the pieces... :-(

Excellent. Good luck finding the rest of it and do let us know.

A few years ago a folk singer I know was given a bag of music his brother found in a jumble sale. Some of it was guitar music, some by MSP. Long story short, James gave them a very decent sum for it all. I don't think there was anything unique there, aside from a piece by Ernest Shand that nobody else seems to know about, but the point is there are still collections out there, gradually emerging from attics and cupboards.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Heike Matthiesen
Concert performers

Postby Heike Matthiesen » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:32 am

@Stephen Kenyon
So all forum members now know that I am interested in finding more pieces by her and if they get offered an old suitcase with old scores from an attic....please think of me!!!
classical guitar

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”