Serenata Op 6 Enrico Toselli (For Guitar Solo)

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
mascania

Serenata Op 6 Enrico Toselli (For Guitar Solo)

Post by mascania » Wed May 30, 2012 2:20 am

Hello!

Has anyone come across an arrangement of this lovely, sentimental piece?
I have seen large guitar ensembles perform it, I think there are versions for two guitars, and most certainly arrangements for
flute or violin and guitar, but nothing in solo form.

If anyone has met such a page, I'd love to do the same.

cheers!

Peter

SeanWinkler

Re: Serenata Op 6 Enrico Toselli (For Guitar Solo)

Post by SeanWinkler » Wed May 30, 2012 11:16 am

mascania wrote:Hello!

I have seen large guitar ensembles perform it, I think there are versions for two guitars, and most certainly arrangements for

cheers!

Peter
I actually have two solo guitar arrangements. The first is Edizioni C. Bratti, R. 6258 M., copyright 1938, arrangement by O. Mori. It's a fairly straightforward arrangement in drop D tuning. The second is a tremolo arrangement by Alvaro Dalmar, which is a Spanish Music Center edition from 1947. I picked up both of them when my teacher was clearing out a large collection of old editions that he had received from his teacher.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Wed May 30, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi Peter!

Another (rather simple) transcription (score & tabs) has been published by Gerd Maesmanns in the volume "Classic Time" (Bosworth Edition BoE 7032).

Bernhard

mascania

Post by mascania » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:25 am

Thank you for the response Bernhard!

I have done some research on the transcription you suggested and it is available at rare book stores and such.
This is excellent news to me and I am very pleased to know that it is possible to obtain by way of the internet.

Again, I appreciate hearing from you and hope all is well on your side of the planet!

cheers!

Peter

mascania

Post by mascania » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:27 am

smwink :merci:

Very grateful for the information and the communication!

Peter

mparton

Post by mparton » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:12 am

mascania wrote:Hello!

cheers!

Peter

Several years ago I made an effort to find solo guitar arrangements of Toselli’s Serenata. In 2005, I posted the results in the usenet group rec.music.classical.guitar, as follows:

---
I know that at least six such arrangements have been published: by (1) Jose de Azpiazu, (2) Nicodemo Casuscelli, (3) Alvaro Dalmar, (4) Vicente
Gascon, (5) O. Mori, and (6) Alfredo Scupinari. All are out of print except perhaps (1).

- I found (1) in a small town library here. But I wonder if Mr. Azpiazu seriously meant it to be playable. I do not think it is, at least not musically.

- I emailed to the publisher of (2), Ricordi Americana BA, to inquire about it, but was not able to elicit any response. Found a copy of it later in a music second-hand shop in Stockholm. This is a tremolo arrangement, well done and impressive if someone can play it smoothly. I cannot, the passages between 11th and 17th frets, across all strings - none open - I do not seem to be able to master.

- a copy of (3) turned out to exist in the library of Sibelius Academy in Helsinki, and they let me photocopy it. A tremolo arrangement also, less impressive than (2), but more playable. This is my preferred one, until I find something "better".

- a research library in the US has a copy of (4), but the arrangement is still under copyright, and it is their policy not to sell photocopies of such work.

- Sean Winkler replied to my query that he has (5) and (3). Rather than asking him for a copy of (5), I have tried more "official" avenues.

- I have not been able to locate (6).
---

Since that time, this has happened:

- I have acquired (4). The Library of Helsinki University obtained it for me from some library in Australia. It is an arrangement for 1 or 2 guitars, but half of the second guitar part was somehow lost in transit. This is a tremolo arrangement, drop D.

- while browsing the web, I stumbled upon (7) an arrangement by Valery Agababov, in a russian-language collection of famous serenades. A reasonably well done and playable arrangement, in A.

- I noticed that Giuseppe Torrisi, who occasionally posts in this forum, has made an arrangement (8). This is perhaps the most interesting that I have seen so far. Google his name to get to his site.

Matti P.

mascania

Post by mascania » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:14 pm

Hello Matti

What an amazing summary of information. I was able to locate the website of Mr.Giuseppe Torrisi and enjoyed the midi representation of his arrangement. It is quite worthy of consideration!

Through the kindness and generosity of members here, I have learned so much about this piece and arrangements for the guitar.
The Tremolo versions reveal that early renditions were arranged for the mandolin, with the accompaniment of various instruments, including guitar. This makes sense considering the origins of the piece.

I am looking forward to researching the leads that you have pointed out. I love the adventure of learning through investigation!

Again, my sincerest gratitude,

Be well!

Oh and I believe the sweetest rendition of this piece, the one that attracted me in the first place, is performed by I Salonisti, a most remarkable ensemble who reside in Bern, Switzerland. They were propelled to mainstream fame by way of the film "Titanic." They have recorded the most beautiful and winsome performance of this piece I have ever heard.

mparton

Post by mparton » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:41 am

The Alfredo Scupinari arrangement of Toselli's Serenata is on sale in Brazil:

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB- ... pinari-_JM

Unfortunately, I am not able to buy it, because for payment by credit card the site requires a certain number which can only be obtained from Brazilian tax authorities.

Is there somebody attending this forum who might be able to buy it from Brazil and perhaps to sell it further?

Matti P.

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:32 pm

Well, I've answered here before, but five years ago I forgot :oops: this outstanding arrangement by our forum member mordent:

Toselli Serenade arranged by Mike Bamber

Bernhard

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”