Simple-ish duets?

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Michael McGrath

Simple-ish duets?

Post by Michael McGrath » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:35 am

Hey all!

It's been awhile since I checked in here. The reason for that is mainly that I have started my first year of university, and while I've started a few years late, I am enjoying it.

One of the best parts is that as part of my music minor I managed get a chance to speak to an actual concert guitarist and managed to set up an independent study with him for a credit; so I've finally found a guitar teacher!

Now, all that aside, I've also scored a few minor gigs with the Campus ministry. For example, I got 'recruited' into their choir to play guitar. It's a lot of chord stuff; just some chords and arpeggio-ated chords, nothing really complex; even for a eternal beginner like me. It's nice working with the vocals, as well as the cellist and pianist. It's something I'd never experienced before, and I'm learning a lot about rhythm from it. The other one is that I got asked to play before/after one of the masses they hold during the week; every week; which is great; because I get to practice my solo stuff there.

So; the reason I'm blabbing on about all this is that via the choir I've met a flautist whom the director has been forever bugging to bring in her flute to play with the choir, and she understandably doesn't want to have to come in and cold read the hymns etc. So we were passing each other during our respective lunches one day and I asked her if she'd like to do some duet work, because flute and guitar sound really great together; and she said that'd be a great idea and we decide we'd each come up with a few bits of music and choose one that works for us. This way everyone is happy.

Now the reason I'm posting here is that I don't really know where to start; and to be honest I'm already asking a lot of my teacher and I side track our lessons -a lot- with my questions, and since we only meet for 45 minutes to an hour once a week; I'd like to try and keep that moving forward as much as I can. My problem is that I don't really know where to start looking for some music like this that I would actually be able to play. I'm not so much worried about her abilities, as she is at a higher level than I am, than my own.

So; after my wall of text; does anyone have any recommendation for something simple-ish that would fit/sound good in a Church setting? Even something with a Christmas flare? I play around level 4-6, but my sight reading is abysmal out of the first and second position. I gather she plays around level 6-8.

Everything I've dug up or poked at on youtube seems fairly complex and tricky for both parts; so I'm drawing a bit of a blank.

Sorry again for the text wall... :chaud:
Armed with Book, Forum, and Guitar, I will bare my teeth and face the world! Music is a way of thinking, an art. There is nothing more demanding, and nothing more rewarding.

Alvarez-Yari CYM-75 Masterwork

PaulHardy

Re: Simple-ish duets?

Post by PaulHardy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:51 am

Hi Michael

There's an advanced search facility on a website which you could search for by googling guitar + notes, possibly run together. It allows you to specify category (eg flute + guitar) and range of difficulty (eg from intermediate [4-5] to intermediate or Intermediate/advanced [6-8])

If you were to try that today you would find either 28 or 311 titles, depending on how tightly you restricted your difficulty criteria. Hopefully that's a crop of pieces to investigate via the 'tube.

Neil Roberts

Post by Neil Roberts » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:52 am

I think 'Classics for Flute and Guitar' by Gerry Snyder would fit the bill. It's published by Alfred

'Populaires Bresiliennes for Flute and Guitar' by Celso Machado is fun as well

Just stick them into Google and they should come up

Have fun!

ElRay

Post by ElRay » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:24 pm

PaulHardy wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:51 am
Hi Michael

There's an advanced search facility on a website which you could search for by googling guitar + notes, possibly run together. It allows you to specify category (eg flute + guitar) and range of difficulty (eg from intermediate [4-5] to intermediate or Intermediate/advanced [6-8])

If you were to try that today you would find either 28 or 311 titles, depending on how tightly you restricted your difficulty criteria. Hopefully that's a crop of pieces to investigate via the 'tube.
I know the thread’s a bit old, but thanks and hopefully folks can post and save others from trial and error.

Not purely in the Classical realm, but we’re looking at doing “Stairway to Heaven”. The oldest (flute) & I (guitar) first and then pass-on to the oldest and youngest (guitar).

kervoas

Post by kervoas » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:45 pm

I have an arrangement for two guitars of a flute/guitar piece called Paçoca (Choro) by Celso Machado. I like it a lot, don't know if it's out there, but if not and you're interested in trying something South American in flavour the flute part should work and the guitar part is at around intermediate level. Send me a pm if you like.
“The only escapes from the miseries of life are music and cats”
Albert Schweitzer

ElRay

Post by ElRay » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:59 am

kervoas wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:45 pm
[If] you're interested in trying something South American in flavour the flute part should work and the guitar part is at around intermediate level. Send me a pm if you like.
PM sent. Thanks!

Ray

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”