Christmas Music

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Paul Kennedy

Christmas Music

Postby Paul Kennedy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:19 am

I am looking for some good Christmas music at the intermediate to difficult level. Any suggestions?

David_Norton

Re: Christmas Music

Postby David_Norton » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:02 am

Charlie Byrd's Christmas carols (Mel Bay)

Rick Foster "Season of Joy".

William Foden "Beloved Hymns" (Mel Bay)
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Carson Allard

Postby Carson Allard » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:07 am

Some of Douglas Niedt's arrangements of traditional Christmas carols are both challenging and interesting . You can find them in his book, 'In Heavenly Peace: Christmas Music For Guitar'. He has also recorded a CD by the same name and both can be ordered from his website http://www.douglasniedt.com.

Augustin Barrios also composed a very playable Christmas carol called 'Villancico de navidad' This is the only piece I know that was composed specifcally to be a Christmas carol for classical guitar. I wonder if there are others.

Whiteagle

Postby Whiteagle » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:25 am

Guitar noise has quite a few christmas arrangements, mostly beginner to intermediate level. You might be able to spice them up. They are free

Paul Janssen

Postby Paul Janssen » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:12 am

Fingerstyle guitarists Pete Huttlinger recorded a Christmas Album called first light and produced the accompanying song book. You can find both on his website where you can also listen to samples of the tunes off the album to get an idea of whether they are what you're looking for.

It's worth noting that he recorded this album on a steel string acoustic, however I'm sure most of the arrangements would work equally well (maybe even better) on a classical guitar.

Paul Kennedy

Postby Paul Kennedy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:56 pm

Thank you for the great suggestions. I will be sure to check them out.

Douglas, I wonder if "Silent Night" would count as a Christmas piece specifically written for the classical guitar even though it is also for two voices.

SeanWinkler

Postby SeanWinkler » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:13 am

I was waiting for this year's first Christmas music request--almost posted a list of my favorites the other day. Try Kevin Gallagher's arrangements, available from his site. These are my favorites these days.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Paul Kennedy

Postby Paul Kennedy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:28 am

Thank you, I will check his website

Paul Janssen

Postby Paul Janssen » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:10 pm

smwink wrote:I was waiting for this year's first Christmas music request--almost posted a list of my favorites the other day. Try Kevin Gallagher's arrangements, available from his site. These are my favorites these days.

Thanks for this suggestion. I just made a donation and downloaded both his recording and the sheet music. I look forward to giving some of them a go.

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Postby Todd Tipton » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:48 pm

John Duarte, with a capo at various frets.
Dr. Todd Tipton, classical guitarist
Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dave the Great

Postby Dave the Great » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:58 am

@ Carson - I didn't know that about Barrios... thanks for the info. I'll have to search it up.

@ Paul Janssen - Yeah, Pete Huttlinger is a great player and a good guy, too.

@ Paul Kennedy - yeah, I would count "Silent Night." I was lucky enough to perform it during a Christmas Mass at the Cathedral here.

Marshallhewitt

Postby Marshallhewitt » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:13 pm

I recently ordered the PDF of "A Season of Light", thirty carols for guitar solo, op. 46 arranged and composed by Frank A. Wallace and have really been enjoying playing them. You can order them from his website. Many are early/Renaissance tunes. He even offers a free sample to give you a sense of them.

celestemcc

Postby celestemcc » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:34 am

I recently ordered the PDF of "A Season of Light", thirty carols for guitar solo, op. 46 arranged and composed by Frank A. Wallace and have really been enjoying playing them.

I was about to suggest exactly the same. Have been playing several of them and highly recommend! Google Gyre Music to find them.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:24 pm

Cathedral music Press presents 'Christmas Guitar' by Stephen Siktberg. A number of the pieces are written for using capos and some pieces with altered tunings. In the foreword it says for the guitarist with intermediate to advanced finger style technique.
Hauser III 2014!

pmiklitz

Postby pmiklitz » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:06 pm

Hi Paul,

feel free to try my arrangements of "Christmas Time Is Here" and "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" available on Sheet Music Plus. Both are available in either standard notation only, or in standard notation with TAB.

Search for Peter Miklitz and you'll find them.

Cheers,

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”