Celtic Music

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
deimosgt

Celtic Music

Post by deimosgt » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:24 am

Hello!

Are their good composers of Celtic music that I can play on the guitar? A few names would be great. So I can look into them. Also, are their any celtic music that are part of the standard classical guitar repertoire?

Thank you!

Misfit Minstrel

Re: Celtic Music

Post by Misfit Minstrel » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:49 am

Hi, you could look Allan Alexander's two collections of Celtic music for classical guitar on guitarandlute.com

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:18 am

The best Celtic music (in my opinion) is traditional music. David Russell has a wonderful collection of his arrangements of some beautiful pieces. Search 'David Russell - Message of the Sea".

clivepics

Post by clivepics » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:31 am

ditto the last post - beautiful arrangements

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:38 am

Forum member Stephen Kenyon has written and published a series of solo pieces for classical guitar called "A Celitc Collection". It is published by Jacaranda Music and can be purchased from the guitarnotes website.

RoryJohn

Post by RoryJohn » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:42 pm

deimosgt wrote:Hello!

Are their good composers of Celtic music that I can play on the guitar? A few names would be great. So I can look into them. Also, are their any celtic music that are part of the standard classical guitar repertoire?

Thank you!
Check out Irish guitarist Pat Coldrick (I believe he's a member here too), he has some great arrangements of traditional tunes as well as original compositions in that style. I think the sheet music is available on his website.

:casque:
The horse, he kept running; the rider was bread.

Paul5

Post by Paul5 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:15 am

I think there is a lot of Celtic music out there for classical and fingerstyle guitar now and at all different levels.

A first source that comes to mind is this website. There are some great arrangements of Celtic tunes under the 'our scores' section. For example, Nicola Conata has provided really nice and accessible arrangements of Mairi Bhan Og (an old Scottish song) and also of O'Carolan's Draught by the Irish harpist Turlough O'Carolan. A recording of each arrangement being played is also available on the website. There are also great arrangements of Wild Mountain Thyme, Star of the County Down, Blind Mary, the Rights of Man and a lot of other traditional songs. There is also a nice, really catchy arrangement of Brian Boru's March in the section of this website (towards the bottom of the home page) which provides free arrangements graded at different levels (I think it is in D03).

Some other sources that come to mind, include Keith Murray's website, which has arrangements of a number of Scottish songs available for purchase. Gordon Gibson provides a lot of free arrangements through the free scores website. Patrick Steinbach provides a number of arrangements for free on his webpage and he also has a number of books for purchase.

In terms of pieces that are now part of classical guitar repertoire, Turlough O'Carolan's music comes to mind. When I have heard Celtic music being played at CG concerts, it nearly always includes a piece by O'Carolan. I have seen that Melbay has a book (which you can purchase as a pdf with a recording) of CG arrangements of quite a number of O'Carolan pieces.

Cheers

Paul

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:23 pm

Don't forget that Wales is a Celtic nation. There is a lot of Welsh Harp music which can be transcribed for the classical guitar, as well as the more traditional folk music of Wales

Check out Gerard Cousins.com - He's a Welsh classical guitarist with some beautiful Welsh arrangements. He sells his arrangements, too

Cef
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

AndrewL

Post by AndrewL » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:17 pm

Pascal bournet has some very good arrangements of O'Carolan if they are still in print.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:33 pm

AndrewL wrote:Pascal bournet has some very good arrangements of O'Carolan if they are still in print.
Agreed, I think they are the best O'Carolan arrangements I have come across.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:35 pm

petermc61 wrote:The best Celtic music (in my opinion) is traditional music. David Russell has a wonderful collection of his arrangements of some beautiful pieces. Search 'David Russell - Message of the Sea".
Are any of these published 'in print'?

Simon
When left nearly entirely to its own devices, the central spirit of the Internet hive mind, its great howling id, tends toward darkness.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:05 pm

Contreras wrote:
petermc61 wrote:The best Celtic music (in my opinion) is traditional music. David Russell has a wonderful collection of his arrangements of some beautiful pieces. Search 'David Russell - Message of the Sea".
Are any of these published 'in print'?

Simon
Yep, you can buy the book. SBM sells it, as do others.

Peter

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:26 pm

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54786

I love this arrangement by our member cookie: Neil Gow's Lament for the death of his second wife.
许理和·海牙·荷兰 Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Kenbobpdx

Post by Kenbobpdx » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:52 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54786

I love this arrangement by our member cookie: Neil Gow's Lament for the death of his second wife.
Ditto on this. Great arrangement.
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

Cincy2

Post by Cincy2 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:28 am

I am working my way through some charming Irish traditional pieces in Jerry Williard's 50 Irish favorites for classical guitar. All have catchy melodies and are very approachable.

Cincy
A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”