looking for Latin

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
User avatar
Alicia
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:40 am
Location: The English Countryside

looking for Latin

Post by Alicia » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:53 pm

I've grown to appreciate the music of Antonio Lauro after finding a piece I love in the Trinity grade 5 book, and then a different piece in the LCM grade 5 book. I've just bought book 2 of his collected works (book one was out of stock on the big river).

Now I'm on the lookout for more of that sound. Or similar. Are there any composers with free music listed on this site who I should explore? Or can anyone recommend some books - intermediate level, no Tab. Just standard notation. I love buying books, but would prefer not to buy any with Tab.
Last edited by Alicia on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

Polifemo de Oro

Re: looking for Latin

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi Alicia,

These are wonderful arrangements made by Aníbal Arias of some Argentine music. A few are not all that difficult to play (e.g. Noches de Atenas; Naranjo en Flor). You should check them out. Also there is the music of Gentil Montaña.

https://anibalarias.wordpress.com/sheet-music/

User avatar
Alicia
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:40 am
Location: The English Countryside

Re: looking for Latin

Post by Alicia » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:24 pm

Wow! Thank you for that great link. I thought it was a list of his works and when I clicked on the first to see how to buy it I found I'd downloaded a pdf. Is it all free?

I just looked at Montaña too (on the big river) and found three volumes published by Caroni. My Lauro book is by Caroni too and it's a beautiful thing. Nice creamy paper, lovely font.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

Polifemo de Oro

Re: looking for Latin

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:28 pm

It is all free. Isn't that a wonderful site?

Don't forget the Preludio de Adios, by Alfonso Montes. There are also two nice volumes of the music of Dilermando Reis as well (Ed. Ivan Paschoito; GSP).

Edit: Jorge Cardoso wrote a nice Milonga, too, that is not too difficult and is a very nice piece. Farewell, by Sergio Assad, too, is very nice (sad!).
Last edited by Polifemo de Oro on Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pje53
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:33 pm
Location: Pickering, United Kingdom

Re: looking for Latin

Post by Pje53 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:34 pm

You could also try some pieces by Joao pernambuco, free to download from this site. Sons de carrilhoes (the sound of bells) and po de micro ( itching powder) are a couple of good pieces to play :)

Polifemo de Oro

Re: looking for Latin

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:42 pm

You know what is another really beautiful piece, Alicia, is the Norteña by Jorge Gomez Crespo.

User avatar
Alicia
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:40 am
Location: The English Countryside

Re: looking for Latin

Post by Alicia » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:43 pm

Thank you! (All of you contributing)
More suggestions than I imagined possible in such a short time!
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

User avatar
Bernhard Heimann
Posts: 1441
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 7:07 am
Location: Augsburg, Germany

Re: looking for Latin

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:09 am

Hi Alicia,

a great source for contemporary and 20th century Latin American music is
http://www.epsapublishing.com/
This Spanish speaking site requires a registration, but offers several hundred guitar pieces for free.
Just have a look around and enjoy!

Bernhard

User avatar
Alicia
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:40 am
Location: The English Countryside

Re: looking for Latin

Post by Alicia » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:37 pm

wow! thanks Bernhard.

(this thread is turning out to be quite a resource!)
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

Paul5
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Re: looking for Latin

Post by Paul5 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:25 am

That Anibal Arias website is fantastic. Thank you! I'll also check out the others mentioned in the replies.
Cheers
Paul

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:18 pm
Location: Lisbon Portugal

Re: looking for Latin

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:48 am

Alicia wrote:I've grown to appreciate the music of Antonio Lauro after finding a piece I love in the Trinity grade 5 book, and then a different piece in the LCM grade 5 book. I've just bought book 2 of his collected works (book one was out of stock on the big river).

Now I'm on the lookout for more of that sound. Or similar. Are there any composers with free music listed on this site who I should explore? Or can anyone recommend some books - intermediate level, no Tab. Just standard notation. I love buying books, but would prefer not to buy any with Tab.
I would recommend you this one:
Solostücke für Gitarre Tango Samba Rumba Bossa - Nova - latin america von Gerald Schwertberger von Doblinger (1975)
Latin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Alicia
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:40 am
Location: The English Countryside

Re: looking for Latin

Post by Alicia » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:31 am

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:
Alicia wrote:I've grown to appreciate the music of Antonio Lauro after finding a piece I love in the Trinity grade 5 book, and then a different piece in the LCM grade 5 book. I've just bought book 2 of his collected works (book one was out of stock on the big river).

Now I'm on the lookout for more of that sound. Or similar. Are there any composers with free music listed on this site who I should explore? Or can anyone recommend some books - intermediate level, no Tab. Just standard notation. I love buying books, but would prefer not to buy any with Tab.
I would recommend you this one:
Solostücke für Gitarre Tango Samba Rumba Bossa - Nova - latin america von Gerald Schwertberger von Doblinger (1975)
Latin.jpg
Thanks very much. I've now bought it on your recommendation.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

edcat7
Posts: 924
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:47 am
Location: Barnet, London

Re: looking for Latin

Post by edcat7 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:33 pm

For those who are beginners try "Ten Brazilian Folk Tunes" by Isaias Savio available from SBM.
For those who are intermediate try "Bossa Nova Guitar Arrangements" arranged by Jack Marshall.

Alicia, when you get the "Latin America" I'd be interested in your critique.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

User avatar
Alicia
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:40 am
Location: The English Countryside

Re: looking for Latin

Post by Alicia » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:13 pm

Will do. I can make a fairly accurate assessment of what grade a piece is. I'm hoping this is grade 3 to 5.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

User avatar
Alicia
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:40 am
Location: The English Countryside

Re: looking for Latin

Post by Alicia » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:18 pm

edcat7 wrote: For those who are intermediate try "Bossa Nova Guitar Arrangements" arranged by Jack Marshall.
.
This gets poor reviews on the big river (.com not .co.uk). Most complaining of a lack of bossa nova rhythm.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”