looking for Latin

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
edcat7

Re: looking for Latin

Post by edcat7 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:08 pm

Alicia wrote:
edcat7 wrote: For those who are intermediate try "Bossa Nova Guitar Arrangements" arranged by Jack Marshall.
This gets poor reviews on the big river (.com not .co.uk). Most complaining of a lack of bossa nova rhythm.
I can't comment on that as it's a bit advanced for me. However I got my teacher to play a few tunes and it sounded good to me. There are pieces by Gilberto, Jobim and Powell to name a few.

Isn't there a Brazilian (can't remember the name off-hand) website with free Latin scores eg. The Shadow of your Smile.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:17 pm

My teacher knows I wish to branch out into Latin but we've both agreed it would be a better idea to get my basics and stick on the syllabus for a while. He wants me to start on a grade 2 piece "Forever Manchester" . I've sussed it out alone and hope to surprise him by next week.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:01 pm

Alicia, I've been at work on your behalf (says tabs, but it is tabs and notation both):

http://www.brazil-on-guitar.de/tabs.html

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:22 pm

I love Powell's version of Por Causa de Voce. He plays it with real verve and 'duende' (whatever the Brazilian equivalent of that is!). He accents notes that a straight classical player would find quite different. It can be played 'straight' and I'm sure it will sound perfectly fine.
It might be a touch higher than grade 5.
Valse sem Nome, Acalanto das Nonas - might be around 5 (ish).
Historicalguitars.

bergmann

Post by bergmann » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:48 pm

Heres a link to composition of Enrique Kaliske - contemporary, latin: http://www.enriquekaliski.scd.cl/composiciones.htm
He offers his music for free.

el Corcobés

Post by el Corcobés » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:11 pm

thank you Polifemo de Oro for the Anibal Arias link.
I've tried out 'Amores de Estudiante' (Vals -cancion)by Carlos Gardel and it's a beaut and quite easy to play too.

thanks again
Last edited by el Corcobés on Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:19 pm

Hi, el Corcobés! (Very clever nickname, btw!! :wink:)

It is my pleasure. That is a really fine site full of good music!

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:37 pm

Alicia wrote:
ChristianSchwengeler wrote:
Alicia wrote:I've grown to appreciate the music of Antonio Lauro after finding a piece I love in the Trinity grade 5 book, and then a different piece in the LCM grade 5 book. I've just bought book 2 of his collected works (book one was out of stock on the big river).

Now I'm on the lookout for more of that sound. Or similar. Are there any composers with free music listed on this site who I should explore? Or can anyone recommend some books - intermediate level, no Tab. Just standard notation. I love buying books, but would prefer not to buy any with Tab.
I would recommend you this one:
Solostücke für Gitarre Tango Samba Rumba Bossa - Nova - latin america von Gerald Schwertberger von Doblinger (1975)
Latin.jpg
Thanks very much. I've now bought it on your recommendation.
Hi, it is rather easy to medium level, but some of the pieces are very nice and good resource for teaching also. The main thing is always to get the right accentuation and make it good sounding and for that the level is not so important, and if they are easier you can concentrated on that. I like a lot Nostalgia, Bossa Nova Breeze and the Bossa Nova estudy and there are other interesting pieces. Augustin Barrios has also some medium and lower level composition and some are very nice - the Stover edition are organized by levels and I think Vol I is the easiest. Tema Triste, Valsa Sem Nome and Sentimento from Badan Powell are also very beautiful pieces and not extremely difficult.

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:32 pm

This has just arrived and I'm already very pleased with it. It seems to be grades 2 to 4 ish and plenty to go at with 16 pieces. Thanks for the recommendation.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:13 pm

I am glad that you like it.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:20 am

Most of the pieces from this book (Solostücke für Gitarre Tango Samba Rumba Bossa - Nova - latin america von Gerald Schwertberger von Doblinger (1975)) are on youtube if you search for Gerald Schwertberger. I found out that he has passed away last year. He wrote these scores in the beginning of the CG boom in the 70ties and it is an interesting collection. It was a real achievement making this kind of music playable on a student level with very nice arrangements.
I found this nicely made video about the Bossa Nova Etude, he commented even himself ab out it on youtube:
[mod edit: copyrighted music. Search you tube: Bossa Nova Etude By: Gerald Schwertberger A Short Film]

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:16 am

I used to have that Doblinger book, lent it out years ago and never got it back. My favorite two were titled something like "Tango Sketch" and "Tabera Vieja".

Gerald Schwertberger also published another collection called "La Guitarra Andina", I still have that one! ;)
Dave

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:44 pm

Alicia wrote:
ChristianSchwengeler wrote:
Alicia wrote:I've grown to appreciate the music of Antonio Lauro after finding a piece I love in the Trinity grade 5 book, and then a different piece in the LCM grade 5 book. I've just bought book 2 of his collected works (book one was out of stock on the big river).

Now I'm on the lookout for more of that sound. Or similar. Are there any composers with free music listed on this site who I should explore? Or can anyone recommend some books - intermediate level, no Tab. Just standard notation. I love buying books, but would prefer not to buy any with Tab.
I would recommend you this one:
Solostücke für Gitarre Tango Samba Rumba Bossa - Nova - latin america von Gerald Schwertberger von Doblinger (1975)
Latin.jpg
Thanks very much. I've now bought it on your recommendation.
I looked at the big river site, UK and it's not there. It is on the German site though. Where did you buy this book please?

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:12 am

My guitar teacher bought it for me 40 years ago - it was a new release at that time but it is still available. PM Alicia, she bought it recently and must remember where, she is from the UK and did start this thread.

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:26 am

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:My guitar teacher bought it for me 40 years ago - it was a new release at that time but it is still available. PM Alicia, she bought it recently and must remember where, she is from the UK and did start this thread.
Hmmm.... Thanks Christian.

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”