Name that Tune

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
MAK

Re: Name that Tune

Post by MAK » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:02 am

Alan,

I believe I sent you an email message to your personal email, not on this forum. I believe you said it was not the piece. I sent you a link to the YouTube video/or only audio of the CD on which I found the piece. It sounded to me like a Minuete by Jean Philippe Rameau played by Segovia on the CD The Genius of Andres Segovia, Five Centuries of the Classical Guitar, CD number 507. I'm sure you can still find it on YouTube.

It's been a long time! I still hope it's the one you are looking for.

Michele

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:09 pm

MAK wrote:Alan, I believe I sent you an email message to your personal email, not on this forum. I believe you said it was not the piece. I sent you a link to the YouTube video/or only audio of the CD on which I found the piece. It sounded to me like a Minuete by Jean Philippe Rameau played by Segovia on the CD The Genius of Andres Segovia, Five Centuries of the Classical Guitar, CD number 507. I'm sure you can still find it on YouTube.
It's been a long time! I still hope it's the one you are looking for. Michele
I believe you are right Michele, I have tried so many places I guess I forgot. I did see on the forum that the above piece was also discussed on another thread and was the same as yours most likely. And, it is not the piece.

Sorry for the trouble, I never thought to search my old email. At least I brought it forward and added the link to my piece once again. :)

Cheers,

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

MAK

Post by MAK » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:12 am

Alan,

No trouble. I knew exactly where to find the Minuet. But there are so many different minuets composed by Jean Philippe Rampal that it would be difficult for anyone to find the exact sheet music, anyway, if he was the correct composer.

Michele

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:17 am

MAK wrote:Alan, No trouble. I knew exactly where to find the Minuet. But there are so many different minuets composed by Jean Philippe Rampal that it would be difficult for anyone to find the exact sheet music, anyway, if he was the correct composer. Michele
I know what you mean, I started to look at all his music as well and said to myself there are far too many!

Thanks anyway.

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:51 am

Alan,

You can cut down your search a little by not looking for minuets - unless your timing was way off on that old recording I'm pretty sure that it isn't one. Not very much help I know, but at least you won't be fruitlessly barking up the wrong tree.

Try instead searching for a piece in duple time - perhaps a "rigaudon" or similar.

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:31 am

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:Alan, You can cut down your search a little by not looking for minuets - unless your timing was way off on that old recording I'm pretty sure that it isn't one. Not very much help I know, but at least you won't be fruitlessly barking up the wrong tree. Try instead searching for a piece in duple time - perhaps a "rigaudon" or similar.
Thanks Mark, I will do as you say, but my knowledge of music and these pieces are poor. With this information new to me I am a little confused and just to be sure what is meant by:

1) duple time (is that just a typo) and
2) is rigaudon a type of music by Rameau
3) And is Rampal, as stated by Michele in a recent post, most likely a typo?

Once again I will add my SoundCloud, a safe and secure link (short 40 second piece) in case someone new looks at this post.

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/alan-13

Thanks for the help Mark.

Alan
Last edited by ashepps on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:43 am

I should say that there was another thread in this forum sometime ago that was searching the composer Rameau and was hitting all the markers on our recent posts. They seemed to come up with their piece, but I found none similar to my piece, but there were far too many to search!

If you want to see - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=42965

Thanks, Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

RichardUno

Post by RichardUno » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:14 pm

Moderator: please listen to the soundcloud link two posts above this one (keep listening after the music ends) and then decide if this thread belongs on this (or any other) forum.

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:15 pm

I have checked it and I see that after my tune has been completed it must have got hacked somehow with whatever. I did not listen to anymore than a second or two. A note to me would have been fine, but the admin probably is better!

I'll take it down now and rectify the problem, so sorry!

Thanks Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:19 am

ashepps wrote:what is meant by:
1) duple time (is that just a typo)
Not a typo - duple time refers to any piece that has two strong beats per measure.
Your recording sounds (allowing for some minor inaccuracy on your part) as if it was written in 2/2 or 2/4. A minuet would be written in triple time.
ashepps wrote:2) is rigaudon a type of music by Rameau
The rigaudon is a dance from Provence. It was fairly popular around the baroque and obviously more common in France, but many composers wrote them including Rameau and Purcell.
ashepps wrote:3) And is Rampal, as stated by Michele in a recent post, most likely a typo?
I assume so.

Your piece may or may not be a rigaudon - that title is simply a suggestion based on listening to your recording - however, I'm confident that it is not a minuet.

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:40 pm

Thanks for that help Mark, it going to leave a lot of pieces for me to listen to, unless someone comes forward.

On another "note" with reference to the 3rd post back, from RichardUno, I have come to find out that when I opened my SoundCloud account I did not mark it private so anybody had access to my site. Somehow in the past couple of weeks a number of people had tagged my site as I never saw anything other than my piece on my site.

I don't know how a "piece of crap" got added to my "Tune", but the help desk at SoundCloud are looking into it and will get back to me. I have once again uploaded it to SoundCloud.

This will be the third time something has gone wrong when I posted the URL, thus losing many people that may have hit the link and it did not work properly and are never back.

Here goes a forth time if it may help my cause! Tune on SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/alan-13

Thanks again Mark and all the other members.

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

MAK

Post by MAK » Tue May 16, 2017 12:11 am

https://soundcloud.com/robmackillop/pavana

Try Pavana by Tarrega play by Rob Mackillop.

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Tue May 16, 2017 11:50 am

MAK wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 12:11 am
https://soundcloud.com/robmackillop/pavana
Try Pavana by Tarrega play by Rob Mackillop.
Michele,

Thank you for all the help you have given me!

You may have hit it the nail right on the head, but I am still not 100% convinced. Perhaps it has been just too long since my old partial recording, 45 years ago. I never came across any sheet music in all of my material and did keep it all.

Also, the Pavana would have been a difficult piece to play for my level at the time, with sight reading difficulty as well. Also when I hear it all it does not seem to be one I would be interested in. My short piece has a nice lilt to it that draws me, however it still is close to the Pavana.

My recording has two repeat bars as does the Pavane and is similar except mine starts on a high note and then goes low. I will try and attach a midi file and image of a short score that Morgan, another member, reconstructed for me that will show some differences to the Pavana. But when I listen to your finding I have to say it is close if not the same. Perhaps I had made some mistakes in my early recording, when I was fairly new at it.

Reviewing Morgan's work maybe why I find a difference between the my recording and your Pavana and my hesitancy to be 100% on board.

Thanks no matter what, I feel I am wrong in my assessment. With that in mind I have been able to find several scores of the Pavana and they are all the just about the same that I will take a shot at.

Once again, thanks very much!

We will have to keep in touch and talk about our short scale guitars.

Cheers,

Alan
1 Unknown Piece.png
*Note - For some reason I cannot attach the *** Please no direct link to a file. Point to the homepage of the corresponding site *** or .midi file, nor could I attached a mp3?
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”