Jason Vieaux - In A Sentimental Mood

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
shad4848

Jason Vieaux - In A Sentimental Mood

Post by shad4848 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:01 pm

Hello. Not long ago I watched video when Jason Vieaux playing Ellington`s "In A Sentimental Mood". It`s so magnificent! Can anybody help me, where may buy or download this notes? Thank you!

Dofpic

Re: Jason Vieaux - In A Sentimental Mood

Post by Dofpic » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:52 am

He has not published it. My son figured it out note for note but he is a jazz player with a great ear with one year of classical training. So he plays it out at gigs but when I ask him to write it out he said...I can't do that... I just have it in my fingers and my ear. I also do not think it will be published anytime soon.
2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2014 Joshua DeJonge Cedar( for sale) 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:14 pm

If you find a copy put me on the list. It's beautiful.
Hauser III 2014!

Ray

Post by Ray » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:57 pm

Inmanjd wrote:If you find a copy put me on the list. It's beautiful.
I can transcribe it and put it into some nice-looking notation software but it sounds like at least 10 - 20 hours of work and I would charge $50 per hour so that would be $500 to $1000 dollars. Not many people if any would pay that much for a transcription which is why I almost never do them because it's not worth the time and effort.

I have a musical skill set but people don't want to pay for it so it's better to make money outside of music where people will pay (or have to pay) the going rate for whatever you do, be it a lawyer, doctor, plumber or electrician etc.. :D

Now there are people who do transcriptions for less money, I can't verify how accurate their work is but you can check them out on Fiverr dot com.

Even if Mr. Vieaux were to publish his arrangement - which is very difficult because he would have to get permission from the Ellington estate as well as the copyright holders/publishers - let's say he charged $15 for his arrangement and sold 100 on his website or elsewhere- by then somebody will have posted it on the internet which is then shared by multiple sites which cuts into any future profits. He also has to give a big cut of the sales to the Ellington publishing house as well so it's pretty much not worth it. :(

I do hope Mr. Vieaux comes out with the book of Pat Metheny arrangements he's been promising for years now, I think it will do well because Metheny is very popular and they're excellent pieces for solo guitar. But financially he probably will make very little on it or just about break even.

OK that's the end of my "there's no money in publishing arrangements" rant, sorry!

:desole:

Ray

Dave the Great

Post by Dave the Great » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:01 am

Hi Ray - so, did the op engage you in transcribing it ;)

Kimon

Post by Kimon » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:21 pm

For those interested, Jason Vieaux's arrangement of ‘In a Sentimental Mood’ has finally been published. It's in issue 9 of Fingerstyle Journal which can be downloaded from the store on their their website.

http://www.fingerstylejournal.com

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:58 pm

Great stuff. Jason told me it was very time consuming to do this as he his quite accomplished at Jazz and does so many things by ear. Writing it down was the hard part not the arranging as that comes quite east to him. I know this first hand after spending a week with him in a masterclass and he loves to Improvise.
2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2014 Joshua DeJonge Cedar( for sale) 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce.

Cp40carl

Post by Cp40carl » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Great to hear about improvisers who play on the classical guitar. As a person who came late to classical through jazz / improvisation I feel that classical guitars and the people who play them are really well placed in terms of technique and right hand use to become accomplished improvisers. I’d like to see little less of the ‘classical’ and ‘jazz’ labelling, more crossover would serve us all well.

Also nice to ‘get off the page’ every now and again. Love it.

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”