Ian Creighton

Teachers introduce their students.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, FLV et AVI, Author’s rights
XIV BBCode for embedding a YouTube video in your message

In addition to the regular forum rules, teachers who post videos of their minor-age students must have received the permission of the student's parent(s). In certain countries such as France, Germany and Portugal, there are also "rights to images".
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Ian Creighton

Postby Matthew McAllister » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:39 pm

Hello everyone,

This morning Ian recorded on Classical Guitar for the first time. Ian is an excellent electric guitarist but has been drawn to the dark side of classical in recent times!

He is enjoying much Baroque & Renaissance repertoire and recently began working on taking grades and studying music in more depth.

Over a period of 8 months Ian has worked extremely hard, attained a merit in his grade 5 guitar exam, just sat his grade 5 theory exam is now working towards his grade 7 guitar.

Ian will be trying to record a piece each week over the summer so you will get a great insight into his improvement!

Youtube

I have many students of varying ages, and standard, I have added a play list to my You Tube channel specifically for my students to take to the screen and enjoy sharing with you their performances.

I hope that you will take the time to have a look and offer considered and positive encouragement to some very talented and committed individuals.

Here is the link to the complete student playlist:

http://uk.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1E5006D74E7157C9

Matthew

Vesuvio

Re: Ian Creighton

Postby Vesuvio » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:16 pm

Hello Matthew & Ian,

Welcome to the dark side, Ian!

Seems to me that Ian has made a great start on the classical guitar,

Best wishes, V :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:22 pm

Excellent playing. Very clear pulse and good solid technique.

Great stuff :D

:bravo:

Tonyyyyy

Postby Tonyyyyy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:50 pm

very confident playing - he made it seem easy :bravo:

cjames

Postby cjames » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:17 pm

Thanks for the inspiration Ian!

I also have the strong desire to begin studying classical guitar. Your video has convinced me to begin note reading again after many years of playing jazz improve, my original rock, and NOT reading anything other than chord charts. BUT...I am not sure where to start!

Cjames :bravo:

Ian Creighton

Postby Ian Creighton » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:28 pm

Hey people this was my first video and my hands were soaked with sweat because of nerves, so thanks a lot for the kind words. I have recently done two more videos this time with a lot more success so please take a minute to check them out. And to cjames i would really encourage you to take up the classical side of guitar. What i have found is you really unlock your own musicality and feel for the piece as you look at it in so much more detail.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:38 pm

Hi Ian,

I'm surprised to hear you were so nervous, as it isn't apparent at all to the observer. I think you looked and sounded pretty relaxed. Very nicely played!

:bravo:

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Ian Creighton

Postby Ian Creighton » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:52 pm

Thats again good to hear. I guess most musicians are their own biggest critic.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:01 pm

I've tried playing in front of friends with my hands soaked in sweat, and it did affect my playing, whereas you were playing the notes cleanly with no sign of slipping or sticking that I could see. At a concert I attended recently the professional guitarist had a towel next to him and dried his hands vigorously before each piece, so I tried that idea myself and it did help. I don't think you need any advice from me though!

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Ian Creighton

Postby Ian Creighton » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:31 pm

Well the best advice i have is to start playing in front of people as often as possible because that really puts you under pressure to perform. I have played at open mic nights where its generally more folk music so im kind of out of place which really puts the pressure on to play well.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:46 pm

Good advice, I know. I couldn't cope with an open mic night, though I have been grabbing friends and family at every opportunity for impromptu performances, and, as you said, it definitely gets easier the more you do it.

By the way, Ian, I've neglected my mod duties by not welcoming you to the forum and asking whether you'd like to call in at the Introduce Yourself section and tell us a few words about yourself, so we can give you a proper welcome and pass on a few tips on how to get the best out of the forum. Not obligatory, but it would be nice to have the chance of a fuller introduction and make sure you're familiar with where everything is on the forum. See you there perhaps.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

jugui

Postby jugui » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:10 pm

Congratulations, he plays well. Keep teaching

John O

Postby John O » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:29 pm

Nice--he shows a lot of promise. He should work on right-hand fingering (he gives his "i" finger quite a workout!) and a more legato approach, which no doubt will develop over time.

Annemarie

Postby Annemarie » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:43 pm

Good job Ian.
Matthew, you can be proud of your students.

roman_i

Postby roman_i » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:47 pm

decent technique and pretty clear tone

Roman

Return to “My students' concerts”