Servite High School

Teachers introduce their students.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, FLV et AVI, Author’s rights
XIV BBCode for embedding a YouTube video in your message

In addition to the regular forum rules, teachers who post videos of their minor-age students must have received the permission of the student's parent(s). In certain countries such as France, Germany and Portugal, there are also "rights to images".
Goodhart

Servite High School

Postby Goodhart » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:05 am

Hi, here is a performance from one of the guitar ensembles enrolled in the guitar program at Servite High School in Anaheim, California (USA). There is actually a channel on YouTube that has seven such group performances:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ServiteGuitar

Most of these students never played an instrument or read music before they took the beginning class. I'd like to make the case that if guitar was taught in high school, like band and orchestra, for instance, it might revolutionize our field. The results you see can be duplicated in any school that has a music program.

Youtube

Hans W

Re: Servite High School

Postby Hans W » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:22 am

Thank you for that post Goodhart. That was a treat.

By the way, I see you're new to the forum. Would you mind doing a post here Introduce Yourself and tell us a bit about yourself , how long you've been playing, etc. We can then give you a proper Delcamp welcome and get you some information about the forum.

Thanks and welcome to the forum.

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

Goodhart

Postby Goodhart » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:35 am

Sure, I'd be happy to do so, and thanks for the suggestion. All the best.

Vesuvio

Postby Vesuvio » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:52 am

Hello Goodhart,

Thank you for this!

Goodhart wrote:...Most of these students never played an instrument or read music before they took the beginning class...

I am very impressed,

Best wishes, V :) :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Postby Matthew McAllister » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:50 pm

Great stuff!!

Well done, this was great to watch and the group looked like they were comfortable and really concentrating hard.

Keep up the good teaching!

Matthew

Goodhart

Postby Goodhart » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:48 pm

Vesuvio wrote:Hello Goodhart,

Thank you for this!

Goodhart wrote:...Most of these students never played an instrument or read music before they took the beginning class...

I am very impressed,

Best wishes, V :) :merci:

I appreciate your kind comment. Let me share this; yes it is impressive, but I wish it were not. It is only so because of the dearth of such programs in the accredited pre-college environment. If those were band or choir kids we'd say, "good start, after a couple years in your program they'll probably get very good." That is where my program is at, the foundation has just been established.

I don't have any more student talent available to me than any regular band program, and I am no more than a qualified guitar instructor. All I've done is implement certain assessments and assessment tools to make sure the kids stay on track (90% of kids, if they don't think they will get assessed on something will not do the work. Does not make them bad kids, just a little immature. I think it is part of a teacher's job to help them grow out of that a bit).

This program would work at any school with a music program taught by any qualified guitar instructor. And just think what having as many of these as, say, band programs would to for the guitar industry (publishers, makers, record labels, accessory makers, private teachers, college music programs, those with guitar degrees, concert artists, on and on). It would be revolutionary.

Remember guitar performance was in a similar state of atrophy at the end of the 19th century.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Thanks for listening and have a good one.

KeMe

Postby KeMe » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:25 pm

Hello Goodhart,
Congratulations on your students' performance. It is wonderful!
I loved watching them perform.

I taught a classroom of 36 eleven and twelve year olds classical guitar this year and you are right about the assessment of the skills that they are taught. They were very eager to play at first, although only about half of the class was willing to put in the work needed to excel and do really well. Also, 36 students at one time is really too many for teaching a musical instrument as difficult as the classical guitar, let alone students with the attention span of a butterfly.

I pretty much crawled under the wing of the Guitar School in Iceland for music and I used their curriculum. When I corresponded by email with Eythor Thorlaksson, and Sveinn Eythorsson, the one thing that they stressed was the importance for assessment.
:merci:
Thank you for sharing your successes with us.
Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more from your students.

:ride: Kay
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

Fernando

Postby Fernando » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:34 am

Superb job, congratulations,

Fernando

rlatkin

Postby rlatkin » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:13 am

I really appreciate this one. Band and orchestra were the very center of my life while in school. The sense of belonging and accomplishment -- and the music -- were what drove me on. It was the fact that I missed just these things that prompted me to buy a CG and take lessons when I turned 30 (and yes, that was 30 years ago!). I have played several instruments over the years/decades. I wonder how things would have turned out if such a program had been available way back then? I hope this program and others like it really do take off and succeed hugely!
:merci:

Christa

Postby Christa » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:27 am

Thanks for this video. I like the beautiful performance. :bravo:

Bye

Linda

Postby Linda » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:18 am

Way to go Servite High. Keep up the good work!

Thanks,

Linda
linea

AndreaCannon
Teacher

Postby AndreaCannon » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:44 pm

HI, Gregg

Nice to see you here - and nice to see the video of your kids!
==========================
Andrea Cannon, NCTM
Adjunct Professor of Guitar at Lone Star College
MTNA-Nationally Certified Teacher of Music
Suzuki Method Guitar Teacher-Trainer

qwerty51

Postby qwerty51 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:39 pm

The Servite High School guitar program is a wonderful example of what the guitar world needs most right now. Greg is right to stress the need for assessment and to strive for results comparable to those achieved in the band and orchestra worlds. We should not settle for what we have become accustomed to in the past.

dtavano

Postby dtavano » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:58 pm

Teaching classical guitar in schools is such an awesome idea/practice. In American pop-culture, guitars are cool, regardless of type. Whereas in American pop-culture, band is not cool (sorry resident banders, teehee.) So with guitar being an option, they now have a cool and way more socially acceptable choice.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone.

Return to “My students' concerts”