Recommend a guitar chair ?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
quavers

Re: Recommend a guitar chair ?

Post by quavers » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:41 am

I recommend and also use a drummer's throne (throne, really?). In any event, it is very adjustable, the seat resembles a bicycle seat, and it has a low back that provides excellent lumbar support. I have also taken to using a support frame. Most aches and pains that I previously experienced have disappeared. Before changing out my chair and ditching my footstool, I would experience small aches and pains within about ten minutes of playing, now I can go an hour or two. I have to remind myself to get up and walk around after about an hour.

TsarL

Post by TsarL » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:05 pm

petermc61 wrote:I just ordered an Original Guitar Chair. I will push my thoughts in a few weeks (2 weeks waiting time then 7-10 days for postal delivery).
Hello!
Have you received your Guitar Chair yet? I would be interested - and probably not just me - to hear what you think of it.
Best regards,

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:14 pm

TsarL wrote:
petermc61 wrote:I just ordered an Original Guitar Chair. I will push my thoughts in a few weeks (2 weeks waiting time then 7-10 days for postal delivery).
Hello!
Have you received your Guitar Chair yet? I would be interested - and probably not just me - to hear what you think of it.
Best regards,
Yes, I have. Truly excellent both ergonomically and aesthetically. Highly recommended.

TsarL

Post by TsarL » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:31 am

Thank you for the feedback! Great.

Lyrebird

Post by Lyrebird » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:39 am

The drummers throne is terrific. I bought one after reading Oski's post. It adjusts to your height, swivels and is very comfortable. In my experience it has been perfect for a bony bottom. :D

italian_job

Post by italian_job » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:30 pm

ADJUSTRITE Musician's Chair, the they arent exactly cheap but they're fantastic.
I think it's more of a cello chair, but that's what makes it so comfy. It's completely adjustable, you can get the seat to gently slope forward for the best sitting position.
That's how I set it :)

spinality

Post by spinality » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:14 am

I use a Roc-n-Soc throne at home. When performing at restaurants and similar venues, where I need an elevated position, I use the K&M 14047B, which is an excellent adjustable stool. On both of these, I use the back support. I have significant back problems, so the quality and adjustability of the back support was critical. I also use an inexpensive Ikea "Franklin" stool as a backup; on that, I had to add cushions to the seat and back to allow me to play my long jobs (often 4+ hours). The K&M is my main seat -- I've been using this same one happily for over five years. It's built like a tank, very stable, quite comfortable. Note that due to my back issues I use a Dynarette cushion and a low footstool on the elevated thrones, a Dynarette and no footstool on the Roc-n-soc at home.

Thanks to the comments about the Adjustrite chair. I haven't noticed this product before and it looks useful. It doesn't have the range of heights that I need for public use, but it definitely has some nice advantages.

Nick Clow

Post by Nick Clow » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:57 am

Original guitar chair for sale (Australia on Guitar accessories board:

http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/v ... 9&t=113380

dgyip

Post by dgyip » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:07 pm

I recently purchased a Sound Seat guitar chair with the ring and the footrest. I was hoping to use the footrest attachment in place of a foot stool, but just found it to be too shallow to be much use. Overall though, the chair is excellent quality. Originally I intended to use it for a computer chair as well, but I ordered it without the arms and without much back support, I found myself using my office chair. I think if I had to go back in time, I would opt for a normal office chair with reclining arms. Or if you have a dedicated music room, perhaps a guitar specific chair would be appropriate.

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:00 pm

I use a drummer's throne with a backrest, and have adjusted the seat all the way down to maintain a good angle on the legs to keep the guitar in place without sliding away from me. Very comfortable and works well for me.

Kind Regards,

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

a human

Post by a human » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 am

I use an old office chair without arms that can be adjusted up or down.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”