alexander technique articles

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
italian_job

alexander technique articles

Post by italian_job » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:19 pm

http://www.alexandertechniqueeducation. ... og/1502859
http://www.alexandertechniqueeducation. ... og/1546279
http://www.alexandertechniqueeducation. ... og/3013371

great find, hope it helps!

I've been taking lesson for 6 months now, I'm 100% changed, I sit, move and breath like a new human being.
most of all, I got rid of that terrible neck-arms-back pain was keeping away from my lovely guitar.

Smith

Re: alexander technique articles

Post by Smith » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:25 pm

I am a fan as well.

italian_job

Post by italian_job » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:39 pm

such a life saver! :)

a human

Post by a human » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:29 pm

Thank you for sharing.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

RaajShinde

Post by RaajShinde » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:13 am

Thanks much! These are very instructive.

Warm Regards,
-raaj
The Sage is occupied with the unspoken
and acts without effort.
Teaching without verbosity,
producing without possessing,
creating without regard to result,
claiming nothing,
the Sage has nothing to lose.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:52 pm

italian_job wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:19 pm
I've been taking lesson for 6 months now, I'm 100% changed, I sit, move and breath like a new human being.
Did you get any specific tips about shoulder tension? I have read Ethan Kind's stuff before - I also took a few AT lessons a while back, but gave up because it just seemed to be constructive rest plus constant repetition of the idea that we should not use our muscles more than absolutely necessary, as we are very fragile. I always found this idea very unappealing, and more importantly just having it repeated every week wasn't changing my movement patterns. I do have a lot of shoulder tension though. I am sure I would play better if I got rid of it, plus it causes pain. It can be reduced quite a bit by regular brutal massage, but there is probably a better way...

italian_job

Post by italian_job » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:26 am

hey my AT teacher never said that we are too weak, I agree that's an awful way to put it, :)
the principle is all start from the neck, if the neck muscles are relaxed your shoulder will be relaxed, the vernal/muscular damaged is caused by both excess of tension and posture, and ironically if your posture isn't perfect but you learned to keep your neck and upper torso relaxed, you are very unlikely to get any pain.
Conversely, perfect posture but lack of control in muscle tension will eventually lead to pain and problems.

Unfortunately, it isnt something can be told or explained with words, its more absorbing the neutral posture via teacher guidance until it overwrite the old bad habit.

Think about keeping your head pointing forward and up, without engaging muscle its more about balancing the head over the neck.
that will consecutively relax the upper back and shoulder muscles, always start form the head, neck and down.
you can turn your head a little to look at the fretboard (with a soft focus!) but always needs to stay relaxed and balanced.

a few AT lessons aren't enough, I've started changing posture, naturally, after 20 something lessons.
It feels like none of that makes sense at first but it's quite amazing when the transformation occur.

good luck!

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”