Buying a chair for playing : your vote !

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Krokmou

Buying a chair for playing : your vote !

Postby Krokmou » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:14 pm

Hello,

I'm getting tired to play on my sofa, it is not confortable and I c'ant play at my maximum potential.
I'm looking to buy a chair to play classical guitar.

My criteria are :
1. Confortable
2. Minimize the risk to damage the guitare
3. Aesthetic
4. Affordable

What chair would be the best according to you among these ones :
chaise-lounge-bois-blackwood - 143 euros.jpg

Silla_5___Gubi_55acd81310ad5.jpg

Charles-Eames-Style-DSW-ABS-Plastic-Replica-Chair-SwivelUK.com-29.png

Harlem 129 euros.jpg

Feel free to talk about your experience with other chair.

:merci:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Olivier Pozzo Double Top - Spruce and Madagascar Rosewood

Lovemyguitar

Re: Buying a chair for playing : your vote !

Postby Lovemyguitar » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:43 pm

You want something stable, preferably a flat seat (you don't want the front of the seat higher than the middle -- that puts pressure on the underside of your leg(s)), no arms (on the chair), and potentially with low-back support. The first one might work, the second and third probably fail those criteria, and the fourth doesn't look too comfortable, but it might be okay (unless it is too high -- it looks very high). Can you try these chairs out, sit on them with your guitar (or in guitar position), to see how they feel, before buying one?

JohnB

Postby JohnB » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:51 pm

I use a (padded) piano stool. Not as portable as a chair but comfortable, very stable indeed, and they have a good flat sitting area. Admittedly, piano stools will never be thought of as the height of aesthetic design.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:53 pm

There are better commercial choices of chairs made especially for classical guitar. Just do a search for classical guitar chairs. The ones made for classical guitar will be the correct height which is not the same height as a normal chair. And the seat shape is somewhat different than a standard chair. If I were you I would continue your search.
The Smell of Rosewood!!

Krokmou

Postby Krokmou » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:08 pm

Jack Douglas wrote:There are better commercial choices of chairs made especially for classical guitar. Just do a search for classical guitar chairs. The ones made for classical guitar will be the correct height which is not the same height as a normal chair. And the seat shape is somewhat different than a standard chair. If I were you I would continue your search.

Hello,

I only found two option of chair dedicated to classical guitar, and both were fairly expensive.
Sonus guitar chair is more than 2K and the original guitar chair more than 400.

Do you have any other options in mind ?

eyedoc

Postby eyedoc » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:10 pm

Original Guitar Chair,
I have two and just ordered a 3rd. WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!!
Ron

souldier

Postby souldier » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:11 pm

Don't forget to take into to account the HEIGHT of the chair. It is critical to finding the most ideal playing position. A chair that is adjustable could be advantageous in this regard.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

2014 James Frieson | Swiss Spruce . Madagascar Rosewood

Krokmou

Postby Krokmou » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:11 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:You want something stable, preferably a flat seat (you don't want the front of the seat higher than the middle -- that puts pressure on the underside of your leg(s)), no arms (on the chair), and potentially with low-back support. The first one might work, the second and third probably fail those criteria, and the fourth doesn't look too comfortable, but it might be okay (unless it is too high -- it looks very high). Can you try these chairs out, sit on them with your guitar (or in guitar position), to see how they feel, before buying one?

Hi,

Thank you for the advice. The second chair is flat and then going down following the curve of the leg that is why I thought it was a good option. (may be you mistaken the light reflecting as the hole in the chair).

I like the first one, the only thing missing is the low back support as you mentioned it is important.

Krokmou

Postby Krokmou » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:14 pm

souldier wrote:Don't forget to take into to account the HEIGHT of the chair. It is critical to finding the most ideal playing position. A chair that is adjustable could be advantageous in this regard.

Thank you for the advice. Do you think a chair for playing should be high or low ? I usually cross my leg when I play, and don't use any footstep.

JohnB

Postby JohnB » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:27 pm

Of the pics you posted only the second appears suitable, in that it is the only one not to have a seat that is raised towards the front, though the sitting area seems to be quite small on the second chair.

I still wouldn't dream of swapping my adjustable piano stool/bench for any of those chairs.

By the way, I'm not sure whether it would apply to classical guitarists but pianists tend sit towards the front of the piano stool, not in the middle.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

souldier

Postby souldier » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:31 pm

Krokmou wrote:Thank you for the advice. Do you think a chair for playing should be high or low ? I usually cross my leg when I play, and don't use any footstep.

It's not so much a matter of high or low, but about making sure your knees are bent at the right angle. Generally you'll want your knees bent at around a 90 degree angle so that your knee is not too low and not too high. You'll want your right shoulder to be able to rest comfortably on the guitar, which is dependent on how high the guitar is.

Do you play classical guitar? Is there a reason you don't like playing in the standard classical position?
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

2014 James Frieson | Swiss Spruce . Madagascar Rosewood

Kjetil Heggelund

Postby Kjetil Heggelund » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:40 pm

IKEA, that's where I got mine. When I feel rich I'll get a piano stool :-)
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

hesson11

Postby hesson11 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:48 pm

I really don't like the looks of any of them, personally. You might try out an armless adjustable-height desk chair with the back removed and sit on it "backwards." This provides a slight downward slope which many find helpful. Having the height adjustment can also provide you with the right height for you and your guitars. You may even be able to find a cheap used one to see if this approach works for you. Search locally for used office furniture. I've used this approach and found it to work quite well.
-Bob

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:36 pm

Krokmou wrote:
Jack Douglas wrote:There are better commercial choices of chairs made especially for classical guitar. Just do a search for classical guitar chairs. The ones made for classical guitar will be the correct height which is not the same height as a normal chair. And the seat shape is somewhat different than a standard chair. If I were you I would continue your search.

Hello,

I only found two option of chair dedicated to classical guitar, and both were fairly expensive.
Sonus guitar chair is more than 2K and the original guitar chair more than 400.

Do you have any other options in mind ?

Look up original guitar chair . Com
No spaces
You can also buy used an adjustable piano stool that would be perfect, but not as easy to transport as the original guitar chair
Sorry, I didn't see that the original guitar chair is out of your budget. You can buy an adjustable piano stool for $50-$125.00 and you're set.

Good luck,
Jack
Last edited by Jack Douglas on Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Smell of Rosewood!!

oski79

Postby oski79 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:25 am

I have used a drummer's throne for years and swear by it.
"Before Elvis, there was nothing." --John Lennon

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”