Buying a chair for playing : your vote !

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Tomzooki

Re: Buying a chair for playing : your vote !

Post by Tomzooki » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:26 pm

Number 6 wrote:I use a piano bench. It is adjustable and has a leather top so it is very comfortable.
+1 :wink:

A folding and adjustable piano bench, 30$:

Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

dbeau

Post by dbeau » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:56 pm

I have a 'Guitar Chair' but now prefer the 'Adjustrite' chair for the ability to change height and angle of forward slope to suit me.
It is not as expensive and is comfortable, and folds for easy transport.

Krokmou

Post by Krokmou » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:02 pm

Thank you for all of your advice !

Here is a little summary of the suggestion with my opinion.

Backless seat with ajustable height and straight seating :
- Piano stool
- Drummer stool

+ Not expansive and get the job done
- The lack of back support is a big minus for me.

Seat with back, adjustable height and straight seating :
- Soundseat drummer stool

+ Comfortable, good reviews
- Expansive, No tilted seat appropriate for classical guitar

Seat with back, no adjustable height and straight seating :
- The original guitar chair

+ Lot of goods reviews, height appropriate for classical guitar, and cushion designed specially for guitarist
- Really expansive (500$ including the delivery), and straight seating does not provide the best seating position

Seat with back, no adjustable height and tilted seating :
- Wenger cello chair

+ Good reviews from cellist, really comfortable
- Expansive, height is a bit too high on default model

Seat with back, adjustable height and adjustable tilted seating
- Vivo adjustrite chair

+ Reasonable price, comfortable, everything is adjustable to fit every musicians
- Weight

Reviewing this list Vivo adjustrite seems to be the best choice. I'm still considering asking a friend of mine to build me a tailored chair.
I will let you know my final decision !
Olivier Pozzo - French luthier - Spruce double-top guitar

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:15 pm

For a short while, I played seated atop a yoga ball. It might look silly, but it's actually a pretty good solution.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:56 pm

Krokmou wrote:Thank you for all of your advice !

Reviewing this list Vivo adjustrite seems to be the best choice. I'm still considering asking a friend of mine to build me a tailored chair.
I will let you know my final decision !
Please do.

You did, however, miss one suggestion in your summary (which I did not make, but it was made by others), namely, an office/desk chair. I actually use a small desk chair myself, no arms, it has an adjustable backrest so it can fit precisely in the small of my back (although I tend to sit forward and upright, not always using the backrest), the height of the chair is very adjustable from very low to very high, and it swivels, which can be nice if I really get into the music and want to move a bit! You may wish to look into these types of chairs (at office-supply shops) before making a final decision. They vary in price a lot, depending on what you get.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:10 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote:For a short while, I played seated atop a yoga ball. It might look silly, but it's actually a pretty good solution.
I know several people, myself included, who do this from time to time. Good way to get a bit of a core workout while practicing!

Some of the responses bring up a question about seats with backs: Is it necessary? Do any of you sit back while playing? It just seems like a way to learn poor posture to me. I've been to dozens and dozens of concerts, and I don't think I've ever noticed that a performer looked like he was sitting back, though admittedly it's hard to tell from the audience.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:59 pm

oski79 wrote:
Steve Kutzer wrote:For a short while, I played seated atop a yoga ball. It might look silly, but it's actually a pretty good solution.
I know several people, myself included, who do this from time to time. Good way to get a bit of a core workout while practicing!

Some of the responses bring up a question about seats with backs: Is it necessary? Do any of you sit back while playing? It just seems like a way to learn poor posture to me. I've been to dozens and dozens of concerts, and I don't think I've ever noticed that a performer looked like he was sitting back, though admittedly it's hard to tell from the audience.
I have a "original" guitar chair. Since its back is at 90 degrees to the seat, I very rarely get my back there. Just a little rest while changing pages. It is helpful, but not essential. What might be an improvement is a lumbar support cushion that (gently) pushed against you.

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:08 am

I was looking a chair too from piano bench to office chair. I read some articles about sitting and recommended seat with flat top and slightly higher than knee when sit down that is good to maintain sit bone balance. Till today I am settled down on my teak wooden dinning chair which have a flat surface and back rest (something look like below image). I added a ikea pad on it. It is stable enough for me to sit near its edge with both foot stool or guitar support. I can lean my back on the support too to play in relax style.

Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:30 pm

The cushion is a good idea. I got a wondergel cushion a few years ago when I was going to a meditation class with uncomfortable seats. That on a wooden chair like yours is a wonderful setup for guitar playing.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:33 pm

1. No to Chair! (Standing/moving while playing)
2. Something very convenient to sit, with no handles...
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

Aucaman

Post by Aucaman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:42 am

I bought a regular office chair. I took off its back and I removed the wheels. I sit with the lever on my left so the front is slightly lower than the back. It works great for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:19 am

What is the perfect chair height for a player of average size like me? I use a padded piano stool which seems to be a bit too high. Although using a Dynarette cushion I ave to put a footstool (at lowest adjustment) to get the perfect position.
Last edited by zupfgeiger on Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:55 am

I would recommend an adjustable piano bench which is suitable for both children and adult height. If you need back rest, a solid stable adjustable office chair with flat top is good choice.
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:31 pm

bear wrote:My setup:cg chair.png

It's not pretty but it works for me.
The chair is a high straight back wooden dining room type with no arms. There is a body pillow that supports my upper back and allows me to sit forward. A lumbar support is for my lower back and I have a wheelchair type gel cushion on the seat. The contraption is the result of many injuries.
As they say," if I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself".

Despite the look it is very comfortable.
lol, you really engineered that one!! im sure it's comfortable after the 200th iteration ! lol. nice!

Yamaha GL1

bear

Post by bear » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:41 pm

Debussychopin wrote:
bear wrote:My setup:cg chair.png

It's not pretty but it works for me.
The chair is a high straight back wooden dining room type with no arms. There is a body pillow that supports my upper back and allows me to sit forward. A lumbar support is for my lower back and I have a wheelchair type gel cushion on the seat. The contraption is the result of many injuries.
As they say," if I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself".

Despite the look it is very comfortable.
lol, you really engineered that one!! im sure it's comfortable after the 200th iteration ! lol. nice!
After breaking my back, I was relegated to a lounge chair and fully reclined. This is an improvement.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”