Barre Exercises and Tendonitis

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
mitch lees

Barre Exercises and Tendonitis

Postby mitch lees » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:25 am

I have been over-doing my barre exercises and have developed tendonitis in the back of my left hand where the tendons join the wrist and now cannot play at all. So far I have 'rested' for 2 weeks but there has been no real improvement. I cannot take anti-inflammatory drugs due to other medication. I am 65 years old and have been playing for quite a few years, but since retirement I have increased my practice regime - so it looks like age is a factor - like it is with so many other things! Has anyone else had this problem - if so any advice would be most appreciated.

Mitch
Findhorn Scotland

Kjetil Heggelund

Re: Barre Exercises and Tendonitis

Postby Kjetil Heggelund » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:38 pm

I too have tendonitis in my left elbow...The so-called tennis elbow, from playing too much electric guitar that I bought in June. Too much bending steel strings and damping did it for me. It's been 3 months and don't practice at all but play during my guitar lessons. I teach classical guitar and should know better than to over do movements like bending and damping. I go to a physiotherapist who gives me heat-treatment while massaging the area and acupuncture with electric pulses (fun to watch). He also tells me to stretch my wrist while I massage around my elbow. There are various lotions you can use, like what sportsmen get, and also using wristbands could help. I've heard tendonitis can take a long time to get rid of. Best of luck to you!
Kjetil.
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

Mr.Rain

Postby Mr.Rain » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:18 am

I have had tendonitis too when playing a lot of bars, moved to a softer guitar and the issue was gone (also tried to find the sweet spot, is it 50% strength 50% ability). In the spanish forum they were talking about the mercader partially radiated fingerboard (can help weak hands to bar frets).

Steve Langham

Postby Steve Langham » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:50 am

mitch lees wrote:I have been over-doing my barre exercises and have developed tendonitis in the back of my left hand where the tendons join the wrist and now cannot play at all. So far I have 'rested' for 2 weeks but there has been no real improvement. I cannot take anti-inflammatory drugs due to other medication. I am 65 years old and have been playing for quite a few years, but since retirement I have increased my practice regime - so it looks like age is a factor - like it is with so many other things! Has anyone else had this problem - if so any advice would be most appreciated.

Mitch
Findhorn Scotland

Hi Mitch

A bit late with the reply but...
I had the same thing, left hand in the thumb pad near the wrist, film over doing barre. Had some electric shock feelings in that area. Ended up resting the hand for 3 months but it still wasnt right. In the end a good 3 week dose of proper prescription anti inflammatory did the trick.

mitch lees

Postby mitch lees » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Things are getting better very slowly, but not fully recovered. Unfortunately, because of other medication I cannot take anti - inflammatory drugs. I have been to a chiropractor who has given me heat treatment and massage along with stretching exercises. It looks like I will just have to 'grin and bear it'. As I make the guitars I play, I just might have a go at making one with a radiated finger board.

Many Thanks

Mitch

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”