Name that guitar support.

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Leitmotiv

Name that guitar support.

Post by Leitmotiv » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:26 am

I was looking at this demo of a 2005 Smallman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYWbjnhUxXU, when I noticed the carbon-fibre support in the player's lap. Never saw another anywhere. Any idea of the make? If the link does not work: youtube for sale: 2005 Greg Smallman-price reduced! (sold)

Leitmotiv
"...the wonderful ease of masters" - Albert Camus

Lovemyguitar

Re: Name that guitar support.

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:21 pm

If I am seeing the right one (the link you provided has an unavailable video, so I tried your other suggestion, which got me a guitarist named Giacomo), it looks like a regular Gitano support, and it appears that the player has a perforated rubber mat (silver or grey in colour) across his entire lap. Is that what you saw?

Leitmotiv

Post by Leitmotiv » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:46 pm

Yes, Giacomo LaVita, playing some Scarlatti and Barrios very nicely, among other things. I'll look up the Guitano support, and see if they're the same. It does seem like it's a one piece 'apron' idea for a support, which struck me as being half decent, idea wise (if a bit odd looking). As each leg is level, both can be used as a point of anchorage, instead of one, as usual. The best production I've seen for a guitar sale ever; really went to town(!)

Leitmotiv
"...the wonderful ease of masters" - Albert Camus

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:06 pm

If it is a rubber mat (shelf-liner, maybe), I use something very similar when I play my lute, lying the mat across both legs, because the round back of the lute won't stay put (I hold it like a classical guitar), and the rubber mat holds it quite firmly in place as it basically sticks to my legs! I have met a few other lutenists who use something similar to hold their lutes steady. In fact, now that I mention it, I've also seen a few guitarists who use a rubber mat across their whole lap like in that video. It is not a "support" so much as an anti-slip device to be used in conjunction with a support (or footstool). The danger (well, maybe that word overstates it) is that a rubber mat may leave marks on the finish of the instrument where it makes contact, but of course, having it not slip around while one is playing may be worth it.

And, yes, quite a nice presentation for the sale of that guitar!

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”