Disadvantages of neck not up

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
omlove

Re: Disadvantages of neck not up

Postby omlove » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:42 pm

Luis_Br wrote:I recommend you check Carlevaro's ideas on posture and you will see what's wrong with the positioning of the lower picture, and maybe find out the solution to your problem. Search youtube for Alfredo Escande's channel and his videos on posture from the Carlevaro's school.

Thanks for mentioning Alfredo Escande's channel. It's very helpful.

Been adopting the classical posture for a month now, which I think gives me more stability of the guitar body as well as more room and flexibility for left arm and right hand, compared to steel string acoustic usual posture.

I especially agree with Alfredo Escande in that (it's also my discovery that the right) it is good to build up the most comfortable posture first, then place and manipulate the guitar into the equilibrium, not to adjust the body to fit the guitar.

I also agree with him that foot stool is not the culprit for back issues. Left leg up does not cause stress in spine but rather the uncomfortable rotation. In that sense, all kinds of guitar support would not solve the ergonomic problem, if the posture is still in certain way stressing the muscles.

Cloth Ears

Postby Cloth Ears » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:22 pm

Some pieces are harder in one or other position due to the differing positions causing different tensions in the muscles and tendons. That said, where there is a will, there is a way.

I have always sat in the flamenco position, for CG and FG, and can play some top repertoire with reasonable proficiency, though I am far from great!

Luis_Br

Postby Luis_Br » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:38 am

omlove wrote:
Luis_Br wrote:I recommend you check Carlevaro's ideas on posture and you will see what's wrong with the positioning of the lower picture, and maybe find out the solution to your problem. Search youtube for Alfredo Escande's channel and his videos on posture from the Carlevaro's school.

Thanks for mentioning Alfredo Escande's channel. It's very helpful.

Been adopting the classical posture for a month now, which I think gives me more stability of the guitar body as well as more room and flexibility for left arm and right hand, compared to steel string acoustic usual posture.

I especially agree with Alfredo Escande in that (it's also my discovery that the right) it is good to build up the most comfortable posture first, then place and manipulate the guitar into the equilibrium, not to adjust the body to fit the guitar.

I also agree with him that foot stool is not the culprit for back issues. Left leg up does not cause stress in spine but rather the uncomfortable rotation. In that sense, all kinds of guitar support would not solve the ergonomic problem, if the posture is still in certain way stressing the muscles.

So after being exposed to Carlevaro's reasoning you probably noticed what is not so good in the posture of your lower picture in one of your previous post. Your right foot should be more backwards, guitar shouldn't have an inclination/rotation of neck backwards and guitar lower body forwards (rather a bit the opposite) and becareful which part of your chest the guitar should rest. Right leg/foot positioning and overall guitar placement are very important to avoid the spine twist or bad right shoulder placement.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”