Which way of support do you prefer?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Musicguy1515

Which way of support do you prefer?

Postby Musicguy1515 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:45 pm

Hello Everyone,
So far, I have always played with a foot support and the guitar is on my leg. Although lately I have been curious of guitar supports which are attached to the guitar and the player has both legs on the ground. What are your experiences with this? Advantages versus disadvantages? Certain products/models that are better than others? I personally like that I am physically touching the guitar, feeling as though it brings me closer to the instrument. What are your thoughts?
:merci:
Musicguy1515

2handband

Re: Which way of support do you prefer?

Postby 2handband » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:25 pm

My daughter and I both use ergoplay and I would never consider a return to left leg support. It's much more comfortable and far easier to get the guitar exactly where you want it regardless of chair.

Moje

Postby Moje » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:26 pm

I've used a few, stay away from anything with suction-cups is my advice. The Kris Barnett support gets rave reviews around here and since Kris makes great guitars himself (never played one but they have a good reputation,) you can bet he's very careful that his supports don't damage guitars. My all-time favorite is a guitar strap, but even I won't drill holes for strap-pins . . . in the ultra-conservative world of CG that just destroys resale value. There's a current thread about using a sling in place of a strap, which works surprisingly well.
2014 Michael Thames 650mm Cedar & IRW
1976 No. 10 Sakurai 660mm Spruce & IRW

Musicguy1515

Postby Musicguy1515 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:48 pm

I was thinking the same thing about the suction cups. I really don't want to ruin my guitar for a little comfort.
I do somewhat prefer having my leg up, for some crazy reason, my back doesn't hurt as much when I use my footrest.
I've never thought of using a strap. I will need to read that post!

Thanks!
Musicguy1515

Dustin McKinney
Student of the online lessons

Postby Dustin McKinney » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:52 pm

I use a Tenor support. I prefer the support over the stool. I haven't had a single back issue since I tarted using it. It uses suction cups, and I have not experienced any damage in the last couple months of use.
Kremona Fiesta FC

cedartop

Postby cedartop » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:56 pm

I have been using the Kris Barnett support for about a month and I love it. I recommend it with no reservations.
2011 Traphagen Cedar Doubletop

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:04 am

I've tried a number of guitar supports that work pretty well. I recently acquired a Holzmusik Kramer support that is handmade from olive wood and has plastic suction cups. The suction cups are designed to be attached without wetting and they hold fast. It's smaller than some of the manufactured supports and when in the right position your guitar is in a perfect Playing position. The one small criticism I have is that it doesn't have 'remove' tabs, making it somewhat difficult to remove.
My alternative support is a combination of a low footstool and a Dynarette guitar cushion. I like this combination because nothing gets attached to my guitar.
At the end of the day it's a toss-up as to which is best. Both of these methods are for me superior to using a fairly high footstool by itself.
Last edited by Jack Douglas on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hauser III 2014!

Musicguy1515

Postby Musicguy1515 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:06 am

Hmmm... The Kris Barnett support looks pretty heavy duty, and a little dangerous. :chaud: I don't know that I would be comfortable putting that thing on my guitar...

Musicguy1515

Postby Musicguy1515 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:08 am

Has anyone tried the Gitano Guitar support? I have heard this one is supposed to be good as well.

Robert M

Postby Robert M » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:26 am

I use the dynarette cushion. I have used the suction cup type and my guitar cracked right where the cup was attached. I can't say for sure that the suction cup caused it but I would never use this type again.

Musicguy1515

Postby Musicguy1515 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:35 am

The cushion doesn't seem like a bad idea. Although, I would think that would be a pain bringing that thing everywhere. Guitar, sheet music, cushion... I'd like something that I can put in my case or in my sheet music bag.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:40 am

The Dynarette with a low left foot support--like a thick book--works pretty well for me. I like that the cushion is risk free for your guitar and doesn't require installation. But I can't quite get the angle that I like best with this. So close...I'm still looking. I'm about to try the Murata, warily, and the strap that's being discussed here on another thread. But honestly I have no issues with a footstool--yet.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Mike Gover

Postby Mike Gover » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:15 am

Musicguy1515 wrote:Has anyone tried the Gitano Guitar support? I have heard this one is supposed to be good as well

Yes,

It's my preferred support, small, discreet & effective. I use a patch of "Kling On" static plastic on the lower bout for better suction cup adhesion. Never going back to the foot stool...ever.

souldier

Postby souldier » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:44 am

For the first few years I used a foot stool. Even though I am young, it still leads to pain in my leg/back. Plus I can't get the guitar at just the right height/angle.

I gave the De Oro suction cup support a try and loved it. I never ever went back to a foot stool after this. The De Oro Classica would be my go to suction cup solution if ever. I continued to use this for several years.

For almost a year now I've been using the Kris Barnett Umbra magnetic support. After using the Barnett, I refuse to go back to anything else. Here are the advantages:

-Adjustable. I can get the exact position that I want and making adjustments are a breeze. Since I keep the support in the same position, I can ensure that I get the guitar in the exact playing position every time, which helps for consistency. You can adjust both arms and you can even adjust the angle to make the guitar lean toward or away from your chest.

-Rock solid stability. The magnets are strong enough to carry the weight of the entire guitar and it really feels stable in my lap I never have to worry about it dislodging in mid performance. It has a non-slip pad where the support meets your leg, so it really stays in place. *Take note that if your guitar is heavy or has very thick sides, the magnetic connection will be weaker

-Attach and go. This makes a huge difference. Within seconds I can attach and remove the support. All other solutions or foot stools take more time and are more tedious to set up or detach.

-Small and compact. Can fit in most cases. Easy to bring around.

-Durable. The umbra support is built like a tank and will probably last me a lifetime.

-Doesn't mar the guitar finish. Suction cups can sometimes leave marks on a guitar, but these don't harm the guitar at all. *My friend however put his Barnett support on a newly French polished guitar and it left imprints*

I do have minor criticisms of the umbra, but overall the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages and there is no other support that even comes close. I've had the chance to try other supports like the dyranette cushion and the ergoplay, but for me the Barnett really takes the prize. I've installed the Barnett magnets in 5 different guitars to date. At first I found it really difficult and tedious to install, but now I've really mastered the process and found a method that makes things a whole lot easier, so if anyone ever needs some tips on installing the magnets, feel free to contact me.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

bear

Postby bear » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:33 pm

foot stool.png

The most comfortable so far. It folds and can fit into a briefcase. wwalmart sells them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”