Which way of support do you prefer?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Paul Janssen

Re: Which way of support do you prefer?

Postby Paul Janssen » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:04 pm

I have severe scoliosis (curvature of the spine) and was finding the foot rest caused great pain in my lower back. I have been using the De Oro Classica for the last couple of years and no longer experience this back pain. The De Oro Classica works very well for me. I use it in conjunction with the De Oro FiniSHIELD thin film sheets and have not had any issues with marking the guitar or losing suction on the guitar support. Diego De Oro (the owner and founder) is a really nice guy too and gives great customer support.

dory

Postby dory » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:08 pm

I love, love love the Barnett support. I was having bad hip pain with the footstool, and the Dynarette is just too small and feels unstable. I hated the idea of suction cups on my guitar-- even my old crappy one. I also hated seeing people lick their suction cups. That is, I don't mind it for their guitars but wouldn't want to do it on mine. The Barnett support was a life-changing discovery.
Dory

Dirck Nagy

Postby Dirck Nagy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:45 pm

I recently tried a Dynarette for a couple months to give it an honest shot. It was OK i suppose, but for me a little too low.

I was surprised to find out how much i move around when i play...this became apparent when using the cushion.

I decided to go back to the footstool because:
  • i like a higher position than the cushion gives me
  • there ARE times when i use a little body movement to facilitate things such as big shifts from a low to a high position, etc. The cushion interferes with that.
  • a folding footstool is more portable

I use a Konig & Meyer footstool because of the sturdiness, but have a problem with the severe foot angle.

My favorite footstool is homemade from 2 4x4's bolted together. I put some rubber on the bottom so it wouldnt slide across wood floors. Not very portable, though.

DSCN0349.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

Jon Griffiths

Postby Jon Griffiths » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:10 pm

I use a gitano guitar support . I started with a foot stool but after a few hours practice my back was shot so went too the cusion (found it to unstable and slippy), then to the big ergoplay , while this is a good solid rest and I did use for a few years I had to take of guitar to put on stand and in box . The guitano rest folds back and goes in the case perfect and is solid to use as well, now there is a cheap version of it knocking about for like £3.50 I tried it and it sucks, or not as the case may be..

montana

Postby montana » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:50 am

bear wrote:foot stool.png

The most comfortable so far. It folds and can fit into a briefcase. wwalmart sells them.

Never seen one at walmart. What dept. Sells them?

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:44 am

Whichever one but not a foot stool of any kind. It's just uncomfortable on the back/hip joint.

I use Barnett for playing on the left leg and Gitano for playing on the right leg, depending on what I play.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

bear

Postby bear » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:15 pm

montana wrote:
bear wrote:foot stool.png

The most comfortable so far. It folds and can fit into a briefcase. wwalmart sells them.

Never seen one at walmart. What dept. Sells them?

I'll PM you the link in case it gets 86'd.
It's the stout stuff folding step stool in Home Improvement.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

keithwwk

Postby keithwwk » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:37 am

I am using Barnett Umbra std support. Firm and Steady. After few months of usage, I never worried it at all. I still haven't tape the inner magnet till date because I got only one guitar to practice so it is attached 24/7. Very strong and secure. Nice toy!

tormodg

Postby tormodg » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:49 am

I have used the Barnett support on my main guitar for a long time now and I'm extremely happy with it. On my beater I use a 30 year old a-frame which is okay but more wobbly. It's surprisingly durable though.
2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”