Adapting to Dynarette (with difficulty)

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
gary-n-la

Adapting to Dynarette (with difficulty)

Post by gary-n-la » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:14 pm

Due to thigh pain, I've had to abandon my years-long practice of using a footstool under my left foot when playing. I've transitioned to the Dynarette cushion, but I'm not loving it yet. It just doesn't feel as stable as the footstool arrangement. Can you Dynarette users advise me - is there a key to it? Should I be leaning against the guitar, pushing it forward and down into the cushion to make it more stable? Or is there some other technique?
2015 Santa Cruz Custom 000 - Sitka/EIR
2014 Santa Cruz 1929-00 - All Mahogany
2013 Taylor Custom GA - Cedar/Maple
2010 Collings OM2H Deep Body - Sitka/EIR
2008 Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue (Natural)

Jack Douglas

Re: Adapting to Dynarette (with difficulty)

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi Gary-n-la,
I'm a Dynarette user with a compromise. I had a very low angled footstool made for me that I use with the Dynarette. I find the slight raised angle of the footstool and roughly 2" of height help hold the Dynarette in place. There are some sheets of material that cling to your leg that are available, SBM (?) to help secure the Dynarette. Anyway, the combination of low footstool and Dynarette is quite a good pairing.
By the way, I have a low seat height, especially for playing the guitar. The Dynarette requires a level leg otherwise it slips.
Good luck.
Jack
Last edited by Jack Douglas on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hauser III 2014!

Briant

Post by Briant » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:34 pm

I had similar problems until i lowered my chair height. If your thigh is sloping forward then the Dynarette also tends to slip.
I also experimented with a chamois cloth to stop slipping but once i had determined the chair height i no longer required the chamois.
If you do not want to use a saw on your chair legs you can experiment by using books till you bring your thigh parallel with the floor. (Or use an adjustable office chair or piano stool to determine the correct height.
I now love using the Dynarette.

dory

Post by dory » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:55 pm

I use a Dynarette occasionally. The problem is that it is not quite high enough. I actually wrote to the Dynarette company on behalf of several users on this forum (including me) asking them to consider making a larger model with no response. I gave up and got a Barnett support and have played happily ever after.
Dory

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:33 pm

As Briant said, if your thigh is angled downward from hip to knee the cushion won't work right. Thigh has to be level or angled slightly upwards from hip to knee, so use a chair that allows for that.

Also, I've noticed that some pants material is slippery for the cushion. So I dress accordingly, heh.

I use a Dynarette (the larger version) for about a third of my playing time. Footstool for the rest. I like the variety.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:14 pm

dory wrote:I use a Dynarette occasionally. The problem is that it is not quite high enough. I actually wrote to the Dynarette company on behalf of several users on this forum (including me) asking them to consider making a larger model with no response. I gave up and got a Barnett support and have played happily ever after.
I use an Ergoplay Troster.
Ergoplay.png
There follows a product description:

The "Tröster" rest has two adjustable arms. Thigh rest 125mm (self-adhesive hard rubber). Individually adjustable in height and inclination. 4 adaptable suction cups for easy rib attachment. Suction cups can be changed and removed easily. Suitable for tall and very tall guitar players. For playing your guitar in a classic but alternative way. For the use of lute, mandolin and similar instruments.

It works OK, I'm satisfied.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aria A558, 655 mm, Cedar, 1987, Nagoya, Japan
Hermanos Camps Master, 650 mm, Cedar, 2014 (Nº 3), Spain

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:34 pm

gary-n-la wrote:Due to thigh pain, I've had to abandon my years-long practice of using a footstool under my left foot when playing. I've transitioned to the Dynarette cushion, but I'm not loving it yet. It just doesn't feel as stable as the footstool arrangement. Can you Dynarette users advise me - is there a key to it? Should I be leaning against the guitar, pushing it forward and down into the cushion to make it more stable? Or is there some other technique?
It helps me to empty my trouser pocket (keys, etc.), to sit up straight and hold the guitar close to my body. Once my guitar is balanced (no hands), I wrap my arms around it. I don't think you should lean forward to your guitar, let it lean against you.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Leitmotiv

Post by Leitmotiv » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:36 pm

There was a thread a few months ago; a guy who performs in public, with the same complaint about the Dynarette
moving around. I suggested he tie it to his belt buckle somehow (I use a shoelace), with the buckle moved left of centre.
The Dynarette has a tag, where you can thread something through and around the lower bout of your buckle. I have to
use padding under the Dynarette, as I sit in an incliner: about the same depth again as the cushion (!)

Leitmotiv
"...the wonderful ease of masters" - Albert Camus

lucy

Post by lucy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:11 pm

I am quite small in stature and I tried out a Dynarette in a shop once, but decided it was not for me.

My left leg slopes fairly acutely when I sit on practically every chair, where ever I am! So, for a while I used a Gitano device on my guitar as well as a footstool.

But a couple of years ago I converted to the Ergoplay Tappert model. I tried the Troster one, but couldn't get comfortable. The beauty of my Ergoplay, is I've been able to ditch the footstool altogether!

At home, on my own chair, I do find it slips, occasionally, when wearing certain trousers, but I think this may be more to do with faulty posture - I think I may, at times, pull the guitar towards me, with my right arm, so this causes the instrument to move on my left leg.

At other times, when I have no choice of chair, I sometimes find it slips, simply because the chair is too high, so my leg slopes anyway. So, very recently, I've started to tape a bit of rubbery material to the underside of the Ergoplay, where it meets my leg. I think the stuff is carpet, or tray grip material. I got it from a fabric shop. It works a treat!

Maybe you should go to a good guitar shop, if there is one accessible to you, and try some different designs out. I think you should ditch the footstool, completely, if you've got leg pain. I don't know how tall you are, but I managed it.
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:50 pm

lucy wrote:...
At home, on my own chair, I do find it slips, occasionally, when wearing certain trousers, but I think this may be more to do with faulty posture - I think I may, at times, pull the guitar towards me, with my right arm, so this causes the instrument to move on my left leg.

At other times, when I have no choice of chair, I sometimes find it slips, simply because the chair is too high, so my leg slopes anyway. So, very recently, I've started to tape a bit of rubbery material to the underside of the Ergoplay, where it meets my leg. I think the stuff is carpet, or tray grip material. I got it from a fabric shop. It works a treat!
Yes, it slips occasionally, and inserting a rubbery material between the tight rest and your trouser is the most immediate solution. This is the product I bought:
Anti-slip Mat.png
A bit pricey, though...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jorge Oliveira on Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aria A558, 655 mm, Cedar, 1987, Nagoya, Japan
Hermanos Camps Master, 650 mm, Cedar, 2014 (Nº 3), Spain

gary-n-la

Post by gary-n-la » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:50 pm

Thanks, everybody for the insight. I think the chair height might be part of the issue. I'm already using a non-slip mat - not on my trousers, but between the Dynarette and the guitar.
2015 Santa Cruz Custom 000 - Sitka/EIR
2014 Santa Cruz 1929-00 - All Mahogany
2013 Taylor Custom GA - Cedar/Maple
2010 Collings OM2H Deep Body - Sitka/EIR
2008 Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue (Natural)

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:18 am

Gosh yes, chair height!! Makes a difference with any kind of support, though some are less slippery than others (I found Dynarette too slippery myself). If the anti-slip mat above is anything like mine, I can tell you it's just a piece of 2mm neoprene. I got a few in Germany at a music festival. Works quite well on most pants fabric and with my DeOro, I use one on each leg as they really keep the guitar from moving.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:53 am

reynososupportDynarett.jpg
sorry for the clothing here is my Dynarette setup

btw that is my Richard Reynoso :casque:
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:09 am

The dynarette is not going to be as stable as an Ergoplay or Barnett support. It works fine and I do use it for short periods, since it is so easy to just grab it and play, but if I get serious about practicing I use the Ergoplay or Barnett.

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:23 am

my next purchase will be the Neckup sold at SBM.
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”