Adapting to Dynarette (with difficulty)

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
CG-phile

Re: Adapting to Dynarette (with difficulty)

Post by CG-phile » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:02 am

Jack Douglas wrote:Anyway, the combination of low footstool and Dynarette is quite a good pairing.
+1
"Classical guitar... my escape from everyday technocentrism!"

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:52 am

Gary, simple: de Oro support. Economical, adjustable, stable. End of search.

Robert M

Post by Robert M » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:48 pm

I have been using the Dynarette cushion while playing out for years. I found that I had to lower my chair at home. Most standard chair heights that I find when playing out are fine. You just have to adjust to using it. After two back surgeries I'll never go back to the foot stool.

As I had mentioned in other posts. I'm convinced that suction cups cracked one of my guitars. I think the cushion in a safe bet. You can put a non slip material on your leg for more stability. The only problem I have is that I drop it once in a while. But I'm sure this is my fault. :o

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:58 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
lucy wrote:...
At home, on my own chair, I do find it slips, occasionally, when wearing certain trousers, but I think this may be more to do with faulty posture - I think I may, at times, pull the guitar towards me, with my right arm, so this causes the instrument to move on my left leg.

At other times, when I have no choice of chair, I sometimes find it slips, simply because the chair is too high, so my leg slopes anyway. So, very recently, I've started to tape a bit of rubbery material to the underside of the Ergoplay, where it meets my leg. I think the stuff is carpet, or tray grip material. I got it from a fabric shop. It works a treat!
Yes, it slips occasionally, and inserting a rubbery material between the tight rest and your trouser is the most immediate solution. This is the product I bought:Anti-slip Mat.png
A bit pricey, though...
Thanks for that tip Jorge. It looks a bit more durable than the stuff I am using, which is quite thin and curls up easily.
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

lucy

Post by lucy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:45 pm

petermc61 wrote:Gary, simple: de Oro support. Economical, adjustable, stable. End of search.
Hi Peter

I've been looking into the de Oro support, as an alternative to getting a non-slip mat for my Ergoplay, but what I'm not clear about is whether it will slip off my leg less than the Ergoplay. I understand that the bit that sits on the thigh is made of leather. My problem is most chairs I end up sitting on are too high, so my left leg slopes, inevitably. Please see my earlier post for further information.

Would you, or anyone else, know whether the de Oro device would be work better for me?

Thanks.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:35 am

lucy wrote:
petermc61 wrote:Gary, simple: de Oro support. Economical, adjustable, stable. End of search.
Hi Peter

I've been looking into the de Oro support, as an alternative to getting a non-slip mat for my Ergoplay, but what I'm not clear about is whether it will slip off my leg less than the Ergoplay. I understand that the bit that sits on the thigh is made of leather. My problem is most chairs I end up sitting on are too high, so my left leg slopes, inevitably. Please see my earlier post for further information.

Would you, or anyone else, know whether the de Oro device would be work better for me?

Thanks.
Hi Lucy

It is hard to be definitive since it probably depends on the material you wear and also the angle of your leg. Having said that there are two things in the de Oro's design that make it less prone to slip than other designs. Firstly, it is a flexible leather strap so it moulds around your leg shape well under the weight of the guitar. Secondly, the underside of the leather strap is unfinished and hence a rougher surface - which I find provides good grip.

I do think it is worth you trying one for yourself.

Best wishes
Peter

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:45 am

Lucy, I'm temporarily using my footstool at its lowest setting with a Murata support that has a too short 3 inch stock extender rod. Hopefully the longer rod will eliminate the need for a footstool, but honestly the footstool is quite comfortable on the low setting--I may keep this arrangement, which is darn near perfect for me. So, have you considered a footstool at the lowest setting in conjunction with a support? I know that this is sort of fish AND fowl, but still...
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:12 am

petermc61 wrote:
Hi Lucy
... there are two things in the de Oro's design that make it less prone to slip than other designs. Firstly, it is a flexible leather strap so it moulds around your leg shape well under the weight of the guitar. Secondly, the underside of the leather strap is unfinished and hence a rougher surface - which I find provides good grip.

r
This is so much true. Even wearing an anti-slip rubbery mat, occasionally my Ergoplay slips along my trousers :evil:. And the reason it happens is that its tight rest if fixed, not flexible, and the underneath rubbery material, due its daily use became somewhat polished. I'm not going to throw away my Ergoplay, but I'm definitely going to test the de Oro kit :).
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/51, Spruce, RW B&S, Tokio, Japan
1987 - Aria A558, 650/51 mm, Cedar, laminated RW B&S, Nagoya, Japan
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52 mm, Canadian Cedar/Madagascar RW B&S, Banyoles, Spain

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:01 pm

petermc61 wrote:
lucy wrote:
Hi Peter

Thanks.
Hi Lucy

It is hard to be definitive since it probably depends on the material you wear and also the angle of your leg. Having said that there are two things in the de Oro's design that make it less prone to slip than other designs. Firstly, it is a flexible leather strap so it moulds around your leg shape well under the weight of the guitar. Secondly, the underside of the leather strap is unfinished and hence a rougher surface - which I find provides good grip.

Best wishes
Peter
Thanks for your advice Peter. I didn't realise that the underside of strap was unfinished. I'll definitely give it a go. If it works for me, it'll save carrying that bulky Ergoplay around too!

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:Lucy, I'm temporarily using my footstool at its lowest setting with a Murata support that has a too short 3 inch stock extender rod. Hopefully the longer rod will eliminate the need for a footstool, but honestly the footstool is quite comfortable on the low setting--I may keep this arrangement, which is darn near perfect for me. So, have you considered a footstool at the lowest setting in conjunction with a support? I know that this is sort of fish AND fowl, but still...
Hi Jeffrey

I'm afraid I've already tried this arrangement, in conjunction with the Gitano. I did this for several years, until I found it was far more comfortable to not use a footstool at all. I switched to the Ergoplay, at that point, but since doing more public performance, I've found myself uncomfortable, at times, on the allotted chair. It's not such a problem at home, where my chair is a better height for me.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Lucy, it's very subjective, but for what it's worth... I'm a small woman (5'2") and the DeOro works well for me no matter what trousers I wear. But one thing that also helps immensely, as noted above, is to have something that grips between your pant leg and the support. I bought special "towels" for this purpose in Germany, but you can easily duplicate them here at home: just cut two hand-towel sized pieces of black neoprene. Works beautifully with any guitar support. I use them on both legs: it really does hold the guitar better, even though I use the DeOro on the left (the lower bout of the guitar actually does touch the right leg).
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:18 pm

celestemcc wrote:Lucy, it's very subjective, but for what it's worth... I'm a small woman (5'2") and the DeOro works well for me no matter what trousers I wear. But one thing that also helps immensely, as noted above, is to have something that grips between your pant leg and the support. I bought special "towels" for this purpose in Germany, but you can easily duplicate them here at home: just cut two hand-towel sized pieces of black neoprene. Works beautifully with any guitar support. I use them on both legs: it really does hold the guitar better, even though I use the DeOro on the left (the lower bout of the guitar actually does touch the right leg).
Thanks for the advice celestemcc. You're only slightly taller than me! I think I'll try out the de Oro and get some grip pads if necessary. I'm quite looking forward to having something more compact to put in my bag, in any case.

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:45 pm

Just ordered De Oro Support.
Review coming soon!
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:01 pm

Jack Douglas wrote:Hi Gary-n-la,
I'm a Dynarette user with a compromise. I had a very low angled footstool made for me that I use with the Dynarette. I find the slight raised angle of the footstool and roughly 2" of height help hold the Dynarette in place. There are some sheets of material that cling to your leg that are available, SBM (?) to help secure the Dynarette. Anyway, the combination of low footstool and Dynarette is quite a good pairing.
By the way, I have a low seat height, especially for playing the guitar. The Dynarette requires a level leg otherwise it slips.
Good luck.
Jack
I used the Dynarette for years. The small one is quite stable, and - as Jack Douglas suggested - perfectly fits together with a small footstool. But with the huger one I did not get along with. Very unstable and slippery. For some weeks now I mostly use a custom-made wooden guitar rest, excellent and stable. Jack Douglas has the same device at his home. Eager to learn what he thinks about it.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:10 pm

Justfun wrote:Just ordered De Oro Support.
Review coming soon!
I also ordered one, hope to receive it some time next week :D.
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/51, Spruce, RW B&S, Tokio, Japan
1987 - Aria A558, 650/51 mm, Cedar, laminated RW B&S, Nagoya, Japan
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52 mm, Canadian Cedar/Madagascar RW B&S, Banyoles, Spain

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”