Want to try guitar support

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Laudiesdad69

Want to try guitar support

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:26 am

I've been looking at all the threads on guitars supports. Everybody raves about the Barnett support having no suction cups and being held in place by magnetic strips. What I want to know is: what is the best support with suction cups and has a tilt adjustment. My hand/forearm are to big to fit in the sound hole on my guitars and still be able to place the Barnett strips exactly where I want them. So I am going to go for the suction cups. Please limit replies to ones that have the tab on the cup to make removing them easier. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Ramirez George Harrison 2012 SP/IRW
Ramirez 4NE 2011 CD/IRW
Manuel Rodriguez C3 Flamenco SP/Flamed Sycamore
Kremona F65CW TL CD/IRW

rojarosguitar

Re: Want to try guitar support

Postby rojarosguitar » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:43 am

There is a lot about guitar supports if you search in the forum.
Ergoplay
De Oro
Gitano

These are the ones I know and have used or use. They all have succion cups and work allright. Most likely one needs a fooil under the sucction cup if you don't have a shiny nitro laquer guitar. Especially on more porous french polished woods the sucction cups can come loose in most unconvenient moments.

As to the magneticly fixated support of Barnett you could easily ask somebody with smaller hands to do the job. Well worth it.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:08 am

I strongly recommend the de Oro support. Easy to use, adjustable, comfortable and economical.

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:23 am

rojarosguitar wrote:There is a lot about guitar supports if you search in the forum.
Ergoplay
De Oro
Gitano

These are the ones I know and have used or use. They all have succion cups and work allright. Most likely one needs a fooil under the sucction cup if you don't have a shiny nitro laquer guitar. Especially on more porous french polished woods the sucction cups can come loose in most unconvenient moments.

As to the magneticly fixated support of Barnett you could easily ask somebody with smaller hands to do the job. Well worth it.

Yeah, as far as having someone else do it, they probably wouldn't put it where I wanted it and would take several attempts. Besides, that might mean my wife doing it, and I'm not prepared to go there.
Ramirez 4NE 2011 CD/IRW
Kremona F65CW TL CD/IRW

Blondie

Postby Blondie » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:33 am

rojarosguitar wrote:There is a lot about guitar supports if you search in the forum.
Ergoplay
De Oro
Gitano

I have all these also, the De Oro is the one I use. It has the strongest suction cups of the three (with the tabs) and is the most flexible in terms of positioning. The Gitano is the most limited of these.

Dave Stott

Postby Dave Stott » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:08 pm

DeOro has been my support for more than a year now. It's never slipped and is very adjustable. It folds up nicely into my guitar case!

Diego @DeOro has worked with me with tips and suggestions on how to position it on my cutaway guitar.
2015 Cordoba C10
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1995 Vagabond Travel Guitar

souldier

Postby souldier » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:28 pm

De Oro is my go to support for suction cups:
-Great durability, will last a lifetime
-Heavy duty suction cups will never need replacing unlike some other supports
-Suction cups have a really firm grip, and will not slip. Just keep them clean
-Suctions have the easy release tabs
-You can adjust the position of the suction cups to change the position/angle of the guitar.
-Compact and light will easily fit in a guitar case
-They don't have tilt adjustability but you can easily lean the guitar against you without a problem

For even more adjustability, I'd go ergoplay troster. It is however big and bulky and a bit more tedious to adjust and place on the guitar. Suction cups may also need replacing over time.

If you know someone with slightly smaller hands/arms, you can still consider the Barnett as a viable option. I have a tonne of tips on how to install them with ease if ever you decide to go this route.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

2014 James Frieson | Swiss Spruce . Madagascar Rosewood

astro64

Postby astro64 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:27 pm

Of the ones with suction cups I have tried (Efel, Gitano, Ergoplay), the Ergoplay works best for me in terms of adjustability, and in not placing the guitar too far to the left.

celestemcc

Postby celestemcc » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:02 pm

Another DeOro fan here. Light and flexible, feels a bit more natural to me than Ergoplay (which is also good, though).
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:Yeah, as far as having someone else do it, they probably wouldn't put it where I wanted it and would take several attempts. Besides, that might mean my wife doing it, and I'm not prepared to go there.

I don't want to push you, but how about asking a luthier to mount it? As far as the issue of a wrong place is considered, it can also happen if you do it yourself. As long as the magnets inside are not strongly bound to the wood it is not so difficult to shift them in case the position doesn't fit. Also there are some limitations to where you can put the magnets by the little wooden braces supporting the main beams of the top. But the Barnett support is adjustable to compensate minor misplacements of the magnets, too...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

guitarguy

Postby guitarguy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:22 pm

I have just switched from the Barnett support (which is very good btw) to the Guitarlift support. The advantage is that you can move forwards and backwards more easily, which helps in certain playing situations. The disadvantages are suction cups and that it is bigger than the Barnett Support.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Postby Rick Beauregard » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:07 pm

The ergoplay tilts and is bulky as a PP has mentioned. I have a slightly used one I might could sell you. I switched to D'Oro. Light, packs well, simple. And if you offset the cups on the upper bout you can get a tilt effect.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:45 am

I am really at this point where I might try a murata. Thanks to a fellow forum member I now know which length rod I will likely need. It looks to secure better than the suction cups. Note to self: Don't over tighten it.
Ramirez 4NE 2011 CD/IRW
Kremona F65CW TL CD/IRW

bester

Postby bester » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:04 pm

I'll also give the DeOro a big thumbs up. After using the Barnett for a while, I switched to the DeOro flamenco model. It's simple, comfortable and extremely versatile in terms of where you can mount it. And that it fits easily in your case is a big plus IMO.
2013 Jeremy Clark (52 Instruments Co.) Engelmann Spruce & African Blackwood, multi-scale length
---
It is said that the guitar takes ten years to master… per string!

dwtrux

Postby dwtrux » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:29 pm

My recent experience is with the TPGS+ and there is this thread about it.

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=104705

Suction cups secure and easy to remove. Very portable and fits in a case. Good for travel.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”