Try to find the shoulder pain's reason while playing guitar

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
nmshu1

Try to find the shoulder pain's reason while playing guitar

Post by nmshu1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:09 am

Shoulder pain while playing guitar:

The should pain is from high tension strings applied ?
Otto Vowinkel Concert 650
German V. Rubio Concert 635
Kenny Hill Performance 630
Juan Hernandez Torres 640
Córdoba C9 650
Sweet Tone 640

spanishguitarmusic

Re: Try to find the shoulder pain's reason while playing guitar

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:10 am

I think the shoulder pain is from incorrect posture while playing the guitar. I have experienced shoulder pain as well some times.

khayes

Post by khayes » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:00 am

Is playing guitar the only time you experience shoulder pain? It could be something besides posture.
Ken

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:11 am

Both shoulders? Or just left or right?
1971 Yamaha GC-10

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:08 am

Beowulf wrote:Both shoulders? Or just left or right?
Two years ago, right shoulder first especially in Winter. Now left shoulder happens in Winter....
Córdoba C9 650
Sweet Tone 640

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:11 am

spanishguitarmusic wrote:I think the shoulder pain is from incorrect posture while playing the guitar. I have experienced shoulder pain as well some times.
It was not incorrect posture. It happens in Winter only.

And only plays one special guitar.
Córdoba C9 650
Sweet Tone 640

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:28 pm

nmshu1 wrote:
spanishguitarmusic wrote:I think the shoulder pain is from incorrect posture while playing the guitar. I have experienced shoulder pain as well some times.

Aging of ligaments and tendons, as well as prolonged muscle pressure on nerves may lead to discomfort that appears gradually. Seasonal temperature/humidity differences may also be a factor. If it happens with only one guitar, compare that guitar's parameters to one that does not produce the problem, e.g., scale, string tension, body size, bout size, body depth, neck shape and depth, etc. Using a process of elimination, see if you can isolate the parameters that my be contributing to your discomfort...it may be a combination of factors. Don't discount posture/position, as an issue may appear over time...our bodies change.

Example: my left hand does not warm up as quickly (remains cold to the touch and stiffer) as my right in the winter. This issue has appeared gradually over the last 10 years. The room I play in is kept at a good temperature, however there are many windows and thus heat radiates from my body towards the colder window surfaces. I can resolve this issue by wearing a sleeveless sweater which keeps my shoulders warmer and thus allows better blood flow to my hand. The problem could also be resolved with heavy, insulating curtains.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:38 pm

If you don't have a teacher than at least make a video or two and get an online class consultancy with a really experienced teacher to check out your posture. My teacher has a large mirror behind him on the studio so that I can see my posture. Just looking at you own posture in a video might help.

The winter summer thing might just be that you take other exercise in the summer and you are generally in better shape then. One thing not to forget is that job related things can be a cause. In my case I had should problems due to a laptop bag. I changed to a rucksack and also to lightweight 12".

As for strings - go for a lower tension the next time you restring and see if it makes a difference. Very easy and cheap test.

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:53 am

simonm wrote:If you don't have a teacher than at least make a video or two and get an online class consultancy with a really experienced teacher to check out your posture. My teacher has a large mirror behind him on the studio so that I can see my posture. Just looking at you own posture in a video might help.

The winter summer thing might just be that you take other exercise in the summer and you are generally in better shape then. One thing not to forget is that job related things can be a cause. In my case I had should problems due to a laptop bag. I changed to a rucksack and also to lightweight 12".

As for strings - go for a lower tension the next time you restring and see if it makes a difference. Very easy and cheap test.
Thank you for your comments. Because I use same posture with different size guitars. I guess.
Córdoba C9 650
Sweet Tone 640

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:56 am

Beowulf wrote:
nmshu1 wrote:

Aging of ligaments and tendons, as well as prolonged muscle pressure on nerves may lead to discomfort that appears gradually. Seasonal temperature/humidity differences may also be a factor. If it happens with only one guitar, compare that guitar's parameters to one that does not produce the problem, e.g., scale, string tension, body size, bout size, body depth, neck shape and depth, etc. Using a process of elimination, see if you can isolate the parameters that my be contributing to your discomfort...it may be a combination of factors. Don't discount posture/position, as an issue may appear over time...our bodies change.

Thank you for your information.

Example: my left hand does not warm up as quickly (remains cold to the touch and stiffer) as my right in the winter. This issue has appeared gradually over the last 10 years. The room I play in is kept at a good temperature, however there are many windows and thus heat radiates from my body towards the colder window surfaces. I can resolve this issue by wearing a sleeveless sweater which keeps my shoulders warmer and thus allows better blood flow to my hand. The problem could also be resolved with heavy, insulating curtains.
Córdoba C9 650
Sweet Tone 640

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:28 pm

After changing from 12 holes tie to 6 holes tie, the shoulder pain disappears! I had 3 guitars with 12 holes tie.
Córdoba C9 650
Sweet Tone 640

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”