The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
David_Norton

The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Post by David_Norton » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:26 am

Courtesy of Eva Beneke, I learned of the "GuitarLift", a new style of CG support device made in Germany. I received one on Wednesday night, immediately used it for a 3 hour CG Orchestra practice session, and for a couple of practice hours at home since then. The stability and comfort are simply amazing.

Unlike the more familiar side-mounted leg supports, this one has four suction cups which adhere to the back of the instrument. With nine mounting hole options per side, this really does offer a nearly infinite number of heights and angles to choose from. I've found the cups to be rock-solid, and for instruments with a semi-porous finish the GuitarLift comes with four static-cling type pads you can use. Another perk to the cups is that it frees the back of the guitar to vibrate more fully than when being held against the player's body. There's a 25mm rubber hose which affixes to the base and serves as a wonderful leg rest and anti-slide unit. Did I mention this is extremely stable?

I opted for the clear plexi model, it also comes in black plexi as well. The plexi plates are 4mm thick. There are four sizes of plate, Large, Medium, Half, or Child (which has a smaller base arch as well). I have the Half, though in retrospect I think I might have preferred the medium because I prefer a higher "flamenco-ish" seating posture.

Price is about 78 Euros, made in Germany. Distributors in Germany and in the UK. Nothing for North America as yet, but direct purchases are easily done on line.
Lift01.JPG
Lift02.JPG
Lift03.JPG
Lift04.JPG
Lift05.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by David_Norton on Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

David_Norton

Re: The "GuitarLift" - FANTASTIC new support device!

Post by David_Norton » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:30 am

For those who care: the first two photos are the black walnut back of my Johnny Walker guitar. The last view is an orchestra colleague, who tried it on his Yulong Guo guitar. My legs haven't been that slender in decades!!
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:40 am

David

I fully agree with you. It's the best support one can buy. I've had two for about six months now after reading this review by es335:
viewtopic.php?t=104780

If you only have one or maybe two guitars and can afford it then I highly recommend it. The only reason I didn't use it all the time is that I have more guitars and change them fairly regularly and the de Oro is quicker to setup exactly how I want it on a new instrument.

So, for quick, cheap and stable the de Oro gets my vote. For the 'best' (if you can set it up and leave it) the GuitarLift is the ne plus ultra. It is the only one that lets the guitar vibrate more freely and I like that.

Peter

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:10 pm

Thanks for the review. There is always room for one more guitar support....

I wonder though: why would the back vibrate more freely if it has 4 large suction cups on it attached to a rigid plate? The back of the guitar doesn't contact my body at all with any kind of support other than at the one point near the chest so it is already undamped.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:32 pm

Edit to the below: I notice there are a few differences in the model shown above from the one I used, so the suction cups may, on the model above, be easier to deal with than the one I tried.

I test-drove a black one for about a month last fall... great for some people, not so much for me.

The good: It is indeed very secure, and the leg opening is comfortable; the adjustments are infinitely variable for height and neck angle, and the "pad" at the curve for the leg is quite comfortable.

The Neutral stuff: I tried the "regular" size; at 5'2" I found it a bit large, and while there's a smaller, "ladies" model (so described in the literature that came with the one I tried), the leg opening on that one seems a bit small, even for me (I'm slender). The "regular" size's plate covered the greater part of my guitar's back, which is "concert" size, whatever that really means!

The Not So Great: The size makes it awkward to transport, and while I know it can be stuck to a guitar case, I use a case cover. If you prefer to travel light this may not be a good option for you. The suction cups are very secure once on the guitar, but a bit fiddly to adjust, as they do loosen. That said, my Guitar Lift was borrowed so I didn't want to over-tighten any screws or damage it, so I was possibly over-cautious.

Sound: It did somewhat amplify my guitar but I didn't particularly like the timbre of it; my guitar is already loud and found it gave an edge to the quality that I didn't like. Your Mileage May Vary!

(I just ultimately prefer my DeOro...)
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

David_Norton

Post by David_Norton » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:17 pm

astro64 wrote: I wonder though: why would the back vibrate more freely if it has 4 large suction cups on it attached to a rigid plate? The back of the guitar doesn't contact my body at all with any kind of support other than at the one point near the chest so it is already undamped.
Because in my case, the surface area on the back affected by four 50mm suction cups is far less than the area affected by one Santa Claus belly! :roll:
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

khayes

Post by khayes » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:02 pm

David_Norton wrote:
Because in my case, the surface area on the back affected by four 50mm suction cups is far less than the area affected by one Santa Claus belly! :roll:
...but not nearly as jolly! :D Thanks for your review.
Ken

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:36 pm

David_Norton wrote:
astro64 wrote: I wonder though: why would the back vibrate more freely if it has 4 large suction cups on it attached to a rigid plate? The back of the guitar doesn't contact my body at all with any kind of support other than at the one point near the chest so it is already undamped.
So I can drink more beer with this support and still have resonance to spare. I'll keep it in mind ;)

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:49 pm

I would like to try a support like this but there is no way that I am going to put suction cups onto my guitars....

.... so back to the old footstool, I guess.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:58 pm

Guitars that aren't French polished will be fine with suction cups...
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:32 pm

Interesting discussion about suction cups. I have used them for ages on all sorts of FP guitars and never had a problem. Twice I have used them on guitars with nitro back and sides and both times quickly caused damage.

David_Norton

Post by David_Norton » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:44 pm

JohnB wrote:I would like to try a support like this but there is no way that I am going to put suction cups onto my guitars....

If you don't want to use suction cups, I suppose the GuitarLift could certainly be held in place with expansion bolts. But that makes adjusting the angle a lot more difficult, so you'd have to be very certain of the positioning right from the first try.
Expansion.jpg
Alternative to suction cups.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:42 pm

Peter which size do you have? I'm 5'9'' with a typical build, I guess. Legs are maybe a bit short. The half above looks less bulky than the larger sizes. I hold my guitar at a 'standard' angle but I don't like the guitar high up on my chest.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:14 pm

David_Norton wrote:
JohnB wrote:I would like to try a support like this but there is no way that I am going to put suction cups onto my guitars....

If you don't want to use suction cups, I suppose the GuitarLift could certainly be held in place with expansion bolts. But that makes adjusting the angle a lot more difficult, so you'd have to be very certain of the positioning right from the first try.

Expansion.jpg
Alternative to suction cups.
Good idea - I already have some of those!
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:42 pm

I've been using the GuitarLift for a few months now and I am very happy with it. The big plus for me is that you are able to move forwards and backwards with this support quite easily. This helps a lot with LH adjustments (for instance fingerings above 12th fret et al).

I can really recommend this support - and I've tried out quite a few :wink:

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”