Update on my RSI

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
uptempo

Update on my RSI

Post by uptempo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi all

Its been nearly 10 months since my injury and there is a chink of light.

After every test imaginable I finally found someone - a proper physio - who sat and carefully listened to my story and symptoms. After tests he concluded that I had golfers elbow in both hands and this in itself can radiate to the hand if there is some compression to the ulnar nerve - in my case there is!

The injury is not caused by the guitar but rather - as is apparently often the case - by other habits. In my case it has been the relentless self massage of tight neck muscles with a bent elbow thus putting too much strain on the elbow tendons. On top of this the right arm has suffered most because of the rotation at the shoulder etc.

My right forearm and triceps had loads of tight knots. The forearm is now super soft and we are working on the triceps. The elbows are slowly getting better and I have trained myself to sleep with straight ish arms.

I stil can't play much but when I do I am almost exclusively working with the ideas taught to me by Jack Sanders over Skype.

As an aside; I stopped caffeine in all forms and for the first time in 20 plus years I get great sleep and lower blood pressure.

Not sure if I will get full recovery because my ulnar nerves are still irritating but the physio is confident that 6 months to a year should see me sorted.

The mental toll of these RSIs is nasty because it affects everything and most upsetting was that it hurt to hug the wife. And the biggest lesson for me was to never ever again try to self diagnose and treat yourself. Case in point being the difference between tendonitis and tendonosis and how if you get itvwrong it will set you back badly.

I am also totally against mindless stretching. I have had consultations with several top neurolgists and orthopedic surgeons who told me about the issues of oversretching. The hands are complex structures so be careful.

At one point not only did I develop OCD with this but the pain was horrendous.
"Never believe what an artist says, only what they do" - Walter Sickert

riemsesy

Re: Update on my RSI

Post by riemsesy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:10 pm

Good news that there is progression.

I've had it too, but not so severe as you.
Best regards,
Richard Frank

Jeffrey Armbruster

Re: Update on my RSI

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:21 pm

nm
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”