Cushions

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
twistedblues

Cushions

Post by twistedblues » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:39 am

I'm thinking about getting one of these guitar cushions
https://www.*** Commercial link removed ***/Golden-Gate-GD-2 ... te+cushion

But I keep seeing reviews talking about how it slips all the time? Is this true?

Any tips on making it not slip?

Any better alternatives? Besides using a footstool?

Are there better brands than the golden gate? Or cheaper but just as good?

petermc61

Re: Cushions

Post by petermc61 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:14 am

I tried searching for it and found that it's actually the Dynarette cushion. If you type in Dynarette on this site you will see it in lots of threads, including tips to reduce slippage.

I have one and never use it anymore. Even when it doesn't slip the guitar never seems very stable to me, and you can't fine tune the height. Have a look at the de Oro support. Cheap, secure, adjustable and elegant.

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:13 pm

I use the Dynarette and really have never had a hint of a problem with slipping or stability. But everyone is different.
-Bob

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:03 pm

I have a Dynarette. I use the smaller size combined with a footstool at the minimum height. Using them together I haven't had slipping/stability issues.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:04 pm

I had one -- it never was very comfortable, it slipped, and I never could achieve the right height. You can control slippage somewhat by using a non-slip material between the cushion and your trouser leg, but I found this wasn't the best solution. Plus it was a pain to carry around even with the bag that it comes with.

Switched to an Ergoplay, and then a DeOro. Love the latter: small, easy to transport, highly adjustable, and it stays in place. Worth a look.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:22 pm

I can't speak highly enough of the DeOro stand. My son also uses one and his guitar teacher rates it very highly as well. Like Peter and celestemcc have said it's cheap, elegant, secure, very adjustable and easy to transport. Plus the owner of the company, Diego, is a really nice guy and easy to deal with.

I would strongly recommend that if you do end up buying the DeOro that you buy the Classica. I started with the Guitarest Trio but found the black nylon strap wasn't flexible enough for classical guitar posture so it wasn't very comfortable. However the leather strap on the Classica is extremely comfortable and moulds perfectly around my legs.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:52 pm

I've been using a support by 'Neck-Up' which is made of leather, is soft, and has two large suction cups. It is comfortable, stable; suction cups don't come loose and it doesn't slide down my leg. It's easily adjustable and the bonus is that it's basically flat when transporting it.
I stopped using my Dynarette.
I have a second support made in Germany of olive wood , quite lovely that works quite well in my practice room. However, for me, it's not the best when I need to travel with it.
Hope this helps.
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:52 pm

Very cool!

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”