"a" finger shaking on arpeggios

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Jeffrey Armbruster

"a" finger shaking on arpeggios

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:37 pm

So I'm revamping how I hold my right hand and strike the notes. In itself this seems a little awkward but my tone has definitely improved. However my a finger is just almost spastic or shaking at times. I'm worried that this is something more than just changing my angle of attack. I always played arpeggios without a thought. Even before I revamped my right hand this started to change. Now I want to plant in order to gain stability, but his isn't always what's needed. I know this is vague but I'm a little concerned. Maybe it's just a matter of learning to coordinate with a whole new hand position.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Giomhurtbees

Re: "a" finger shaking on arpeggios

Postby Giomhurtbees » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:49 pm

Give it some time to adjust to the new position.
It's probably just that. The a is the weirdest dinner anyways. :mrgreen:

lagartija

Postby lagartija » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:27 am

Jeffrey, are you trying to play at the tempo you were using before the change? If so, you might be challenging yourself a bit too much.
You might try to practice quite slowly so that you are not introducing dysfunctional tension, slow enough that you can feel that your hand is still relaxed as you play the arpeggio.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Jeffrey Armbruster

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:14 am

Thanks for the replies. After posting I played a little arpeggio piece that had me concerned and it went much better. Yeah, the "a" is a pesky little critter. It's never acted like this before. But I'm asking it to do new things.

Lagartija, I do have trouble slowing down. I'm working on it.

It seems to be arpeggios in particular that are giving me issues.

I now have a teacher who also thinks that its not muscle neurosis, or whatever. but he never heard me play before.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

lagartija

Postby lagartija » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:16 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:Thanks for the replies. After posting I played a little arpeggio piece that had me concerned and it went much better. Yeah, the "a" is a pesky little critter. It's never acted like this before. But I'm asking it to do new things.

I now have a teacher who also thinks that its not muscle neurosis, or whatever. but he never heard me play before.

The metronome is your friend when it comes to enforcing a slow down. :)
First explore what things are like when you go slow...really slow. Still relaxed?
Then pick a very relaxed metronome setting; one click for the sixteenth note. If you can do that, you can try it with a click per 1/8th note...not changing speed, just fewer clicks to listen to. If you are challenged to accurately subdivide when going slow, just use the one click per sixteenth.
__/^^^^^o>

Blondie

Postby Blondie » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:24 am

Be careful. One of the most common triggers for focal dystonia is a change in hand position, and continuing to play/trying to play as normal. Weird uncontrollable finger movements should not be taken lightly, readjustment to a new position takes time and care.

Moonlighting2610

Postby Moonlighting2610 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:55 am

lagartija wrote:
Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:Thanks for the replies. After posting I played a little arpeggio piece that had me concerned and it went much better. Yeah, the "a" is a pesky little critter. It's never acted like this before. But I'm asking it to do new things.

The metronome is your friend when it comes to enforcing a slow down. :)
First explore what things are like when you go slow...really slow. Still relaxed?
Then pick a very relaxed metronome setting; one click for the sixteenth note. If you can do that, you can try it with a click per 1/8th note...not changing speed, just fewer clicks to listen to. If you are challenged to accurately subdivide when going slow, just use the one click per sixteenth.

I share the same thought with Lagartija here! Changing hand position without working very careful and slowly on the basics could make you a lot of trouble in the long run

Jeffrey Armbruster

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:44 am

"The metronome is your friend when it comes to enforcing a slow down."

Yep, metronome solved it. I keep forgetting how much easier the metronome makes things for me. I tend to play everything too fast, just beyond where I can play without making mistakes. Metronome helps immensely here too. Also, since the metronome keeps time, it's one less thing going on that you have to juggle.

What a relief. I was fearing the early stages of focal dystonia. Slowing down and doing drills is helping a lot--I feel much less uncoordinated and shaky.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

lagartija

Postby lagartija » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:35 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:"The metronome is your friend when it comes to enforcing a slow down."

Yep, metronome solved it. I keep forgetting how much easier the metronome makes things for me. I tend to play everything too fast, just beyond where I can play without making mistakes. Metronome helps immensely here too. Also, since the metronome keeps time, it's one less thing going on that you have to juggle.

What a relief. I was fearing the early stages of focal dystonia. Slowing down and doing drills is helping a lot--I feel much less uncoordinated and shaky.

:D
__/^^^^^o>

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”