Foot Support Question

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Kali Chandi

Foot Support Question

Post by Kali Chandi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:49 pm

I am enjoying playing the classical guitar in my first year of study of the instrument. I like supporting the guitar with my leg so I have been putting my foot on a box or one of the metal collapsable foot supports that is made for this specific purpose. However, I do not like the metal collapsable foot support things because they do not come up high enough for me. When I put it on a book, to increase the height, it becomes unstable. Even without the book, I do not feel that such devises are very stable and I don't feel comfortable with these things.

I guess I'm wondering if there is some sort of more sturdy alternative. I am thinking of just finding a wood box and using that - though a wood box would not be so easy to carry around. I have a very heavy old tape recorder that is in it's own box, like an old fashioned travel case...but that's VERY heavy. I'm going to just look around for something like that but just wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

mverive

Re: Foot Support Question

Post by mverive » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:29 pm

Have you considered alternate methods of support (ErgoPlay, Gitano, Dynarette, Murata, others)? They allow you to play with both feet on the ground, keeping your back straighter. Or you could combine a guitar support with a footrest. If using a footrest alone, make sure that you have a chair that allows your thighs to remain parallel to the ground, and you may find that the footrest is enough.

Mike
"(P)Lay on, MacDuff, And damn'd be him that first cries, 'Hold, enough!'"

montana

Post by montana » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:48 am

There is a collapsible step stool that is sold at walmart . Not adjustable , but it is the perfect height. It's higher than the metal adjustable and larger area so the foot is more comfortable.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:55 am

Look into a yoga block. They are the right size and are very lightweight.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

burtong

Post by burtong » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:02 pm

I have the same issue (I am 6'6", 198 cm). I turn my inexpensive foot rest the other way. I use it so that it is highest closest to my chair. In this way, my knee is raised higher than if it were turned the other way, i.e., highest furthest away from my chair. I also sit on a cushion on a regular chair so that when I sit without the foot rest my thighs are parallel to the floor.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:07 pm

Are you having lessons? Reason I ask is to be sure that you have useful reasons for holding the guitar so high.

My practical suggestion; in my lessons room I have 4 short bits of plank (c30cms/12 inches) for use by students with shorter legs who need either their left or right foot (or sometimes both!) a little higher. One chooses the appropriate number of bits of plank. Being very flat, and adjustable by choosing the right number, they are very stable. And much more portable than boxes.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

JohnyZuper

Post by JohnyZuper » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:00 pm

I also play with the footstool turned around with my heel on the highest part.

I've seen people combine a footstool with another support like ErgoPlay, Gitano or Dynarette for an extra high position. The Gitano is very portable!
―Michaël Samyn.

Kali Chandi

Post by Kali Chandi » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:22 pm

Yes, I take lessons but my teacher does not have a foot rest that is any different then mine. I've tried the cushion support that allows you to keep both feet on the ground and I'm not comfortable with that. The kind of support that uses the suction cups...not so keen on those. The Yoga block is a great idea - I'm going to look into that. Thanks for all the input!

Kali Chandi

Post by Kali Chandi » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:29 pm

The folding step stool may be a very practical solution as well.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”