Wanted: Adjustable Well-Padded Seat/Bench

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
minorkey

Wanted: Adjustable Well-Padded Seat/Bench

Post by minorkey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:58 pm

I'm looking for a very well-padded seat/bench that can be adjusted to as low as 16" off the ground. I'm 5'2" and most decent quality, well padded drum thrones, piano benches, and musician seats I've looked at so far don't adjust low enough. I'm trying to sit ergonomically, with my lap perpendicular to the floor.

I'm hoping to find something under $200. My current keyboard bench works well, but my boney bottom needs a little more padding. :oops:

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Wanted: Adjustable Well-Padded Seat/Bench

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:13 pm

I use standard type office swivel chairs - no arms of course. Easily found used for very little. I just got a new (to me) one that goes down to 16 inches.

They have the added advantage that being swivel-able, they teach one about lower leg tension - too much of that and you end up facing the wrong way!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

robert e

Post by robert e » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:20 pm

How about $20? My bench is 16" at the top of the cushion, so you're probably talking 15" really. It's a cheap, ugly, three-height keyboard bench I found on Amazon, with an X-shaped support. Sturdy enough. I wouldn't call it well-padded, so you'll want to add a cushion or reupholster (which will make it look nicer at the same time).

As someone mentioned in another thread, many chairs can be lowered with the right tools.

EDIT: It also folds flat.

minorkey

Post by minorkey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:26 pm

robert e wrote:How about $20? My bench is 16" at the top of the cushion, so you're probably talking 15" really. It's a cheap, ugly, three-height keyboard bench I found on Amazon, with an X-shaped support. Sturdy enough. I wouldn't call it well-padded, so you'll want to add a cushion or reupholster (which will make it look nicer at the same time).

As someone mentioned in another thread, many chairs can be lowered with the right tools.

EDIT: It also folds flat.
That's sounds like the exact one I have and it is at 16" right now. Heightwise, it's perfect, but it's better cushioning I need. I've tried putting a cushion on it, but it's not ideal.

I wish I were as handy as some of the people on this board, but I don't have the tools or know how. I'd prefer just to buy something that is adjustable so I can raise and lower it if I need to.

minorkey

Post by minorkey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:28 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:I use standard type office swivel chairs - no arms of course. Easily found used for very little. I just got a new (to me) one that goes down to 16 inches.

They have the added advantage that being swivel-able, they teach one about lower leg tension - too much of that and you end up facing the wrong way!
I actually have a couple of office chairs, but the thicker cushioned ones don't have a flat seat--they're scalloped on the sides and that makes for strange straddling. I would also prefer that it doesn't swivel or roll. I'd like it to be as sturdy and stable as possible.

But thanks for the idea.

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Look at the Adjustrite Musician's Chair by Vivo. I've been using one for about 3 years and it is excellent. Easily folds for transport, very adjustable for height and tilt. Google will lead you to some sites with more information.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”