Anxiety and hands.

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
uptempo

Anxiety and hands.

Post by uptempo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:58 pm

I have thrown thousands at a diagnosis and had numerous nerve studies performed for what I was sure was cubital tunnel.

At the end of the day I have a clear diagnosis. Firstly, I suffer significant anxiety, and my ulnar nerve area was irritated through repeated self massage on my shoulders and neck with bent elbow. But anxiety can really mess with your hands and it's clear this is what is going on.

I have been diagnosed with 'somataform disorder' which means that psychological distress converts to bodily pain, particularly in vulnerable areas where some injury has been sustained.

As an example. I recently had dental treatment that was painful, but because I got down about it my brain latched onto the symptoms and won't let up.

Anxiety causes ridiculous tension and symptoms.
"Never believe what an artist says, only what they do" - Walter Sickert

Tomzooki

Re: Anxiety and hands.

Post by Tomzooki » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:42 pm

They made a diagnosis; do they have treatment suggestion?
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

uptempo

Re: Anxiety and hands.

Post by uptempo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:43 am

Yes, I have been having a lot of treatment for anxiety.

Ultimately though I have to accept the cause and work on the anxiety. In fact they are already improving.

Anxiety, has over 100 recognized symptoms and probably many more. Of course, a lot of my previous symptoms - of which there are many - have been medically checked out with brain scans and more.

Obviously, injuries are injuries and are treated as such, but I have a potted history of ailments that are psychogenic in nature and this is why I have come to believe that the brain is far too powerful for us to comprehend.
"Never believe what an artist says, only what they do" - Walter Sickert

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”