Dynarette...redux

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Charles Mokotoff

Dynarette...redux

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:48 am

The trusty Dynarette seems to be the least bad support for me. I am averse to suction cups and clamps, and have not made the transition to magnets as yet.

That said, a friend pointed me to a Dynarette knock-off which I got on the big shopping site that starts with an A. Although they claim its leather (PU Leather to be precise) my fervent hope is its something not synthetic and it won't interact badly with my guitar finish. I've found with the classic vinyl Dynarette that it squeaks loudly on French polish, and actually deteriorates shellacked finishes. This one is far quieter, a bit grippier and its little rubber strip seems to be keeping it from moving around too much on my thigh. All the things that I dislike about my real one. Its also a lot easier to get the cover off if you want to swap out something for the hard foam inside.

The company name is Flanger and its pretty cheap...if you try it, let me know what you think.

zupfgeiger

Re: Dynarette...redux

Post by zupfgeiger » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:03 pm

I have made the same bad experience with the Dynarette. After a short while the shellack sides of my guitars got really dull and worn out. Luckily Andrea Tacchi gave me a small bottle of his polish (not the shellack) and a a cotton pad to rub it in. From time to time I treat back and sides with some drops of the polish and it is amazing how it cleans up the surface. Looks like new afterwards.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Kent

Post by Kent » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:20 pm

On the Dynas, use a small microfiber cloth between the cushion and the guitar. I found small micro-fiber cloths at Target that are for car washing. Four for 9 bucks.

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:47 pm

Kent wrote:On the Dynas, use a small microfiber cloth between the cushion and the guitar. I found small micro-fiber cloths at Target that are for car washing. Four for 9 bucks.
I find the guitar moves around on that too much. Its not grippy enough. The best solution I have found is real suede.

Kent

Post by Kent » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:20 pm

You are good to persuade, I will try Real Suede.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:30 pm

I have used the De Oro auction cups Charles and have never had a problem with marking FP Charles, but I take it if every time when not playing and use a clear protective sheet supplied by de Oro. The guitar is just SO much more secure I could never contemplate the Dynatette again.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:54 pm

There was a thread here about do-it-yourself supports like the dynarette. Essentially it is part of the cut off leg of a pair of jeans stuff with some foam. It should be findable with google or your favorite search engine.

eno

Post by eno » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:02 am

Yes, it's synthetis leather and can damage the French finish. I got a sheet of real leather and and I place it on top of the cusion, that works perfect for me, got it from A. site, it's called "REED® LEATHER HIDES".
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001 spruce
Mitsuru Tamura No.800 1969 cedar
Rokutaru Nakade 1967 spruce
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967 spruce
Takamine C136S cedar
Yamaha SLG200S silent

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu May 04, 2017 9:37 am

petermc61 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:30 pm
I have used the De Oro auction cups Charles and have never had a problem with marking FP Charles, but I take it if every time when not playing and use a clear protective sheet supplied by de Oro. The guitar is just SO much more secure I could never contemplate the Dynatette again.

After having tried out the De Oro as well I second what Peter said. The suction cups are really comfortable and harmless to the polish (if both, the cups and the sides, have been cleaned before). I prefer the D Oro over the Dynarette which is clearly lacking stability.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”