Lower Back issues

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Saitenfee

Re: Lower Back issues

Post by Saitenfee » Thu May 25, 2017 2:16 pm

Hello,
try to use "guitarlift". It is a new developed guitar support, made by "Felix Justen" in Germany. I am using this support for a year now, and I enjoy it. No problems with any part of my body. In addition to that I sit on a chair which is variable in height. (I have to sit very low)

To play with guitarlift is very comfortable. I'm very happy with this!

Saitenfee

Post by Saitenfee » Thu May 25, 2017 2:17 pm

Hello,
try to use "guitarlift". It is a new developed guitar support, made by "Felix Justen" in Germany. I am using this support for a year now, and I enjoy it. No problems with any part of my body. In addition to that I sit on a chair which is variable in height. (I have to sit very low)

To play with guitarlift is very comfortable. I'm very happy with this! :D

neil

Post by neil » Sun May 28, 2017 3:31 pm

My teacher told me to stretch my back after every 30min of training. I think it's really important to stretch all your body and finger before playing, and after.

MorneZaayman

Post by MorneZaayman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:31 pm

BugDog wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 2:58 pm
I've had some sciatic nerve problems on both sides. Not debilitating, but I had the discomfort.

Oddly a foot stool sometimes relieves the discomfort.

What helps (me) a lot is stretching and exercise. The effect isn't instant. It can be overdone. But the effect is real and significant. You have to stay with it. Now days it mostly only bothers me it when I sleep too long.
Thanks BugDog,

I have been doing some stretches and it's helping. I don't feel as stiff anymore and there is no pain, thankfully :)

MorneZaayman

Post by MorneZaayman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:32 pm

guit-box wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 5:07 pm
If you're having trouble with sitting and guitar playing young, it's likely to only get worse with age. Sitting in general and certainly sitting in one position for long hours are just plain bad for the body. Many people have problems with the way the sciatic nerve pierces the glut muscle, in some bodies it goes around the nerve and they have less trouble. Check out piriformis stretches on google.
Hi Guit-Box,

I have been doing stretches. It has helped tremendously. :) The pain has gone thankfully.

MorneZaayman

Post by MorneZaayman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:39 pm

@SteveL123- That is an incredible and innovative way. I think I should investigate and give it a try :) Thanks for the tip.

@ LesC - I should invest in a strap and maybe ask my teacher to help set it up. It may help as well. Although, I have been taking more breaks while practising and also stretching more.

@ Spinality - wow.. .10 years is a long time. I can't imagine. I am glad you came back to guitar and that you're playing again. I want to get one of the cushions supports here in South Africa. I just have to locate a place where they're sold. The chiro was happy that my back was OK and said that I can play but I shouldn't strain it and I must do stretches frequently between practice sessions. It seems to be working and helping. Now, if only my fingers would find the right strings. I am still a beginner player, :) I also changed the height of my footstool and that seemed to have helped as well.

@Luis-Br: I play for about 15 mins, then stop for 2, then play again... and I do a quick stretch between. I should begin the lower back exercises though.

MorneZaayman

Post by MorneZaayman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:43 pm

@ Saitenfee - I haven't heard of that support but I am very very interested. I wonder if I can get it here in Cape Town??? I think I should look around.

@ Neil - yeah I take more breaks and I don't sit for a long period. I stretch as well between sessions of practice. I haven't been doing the finger stretches though :( my bad... I have to start on that soon :)

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:21 pm

Captonius wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:39 pm
@SteveL123- That is an incredible and innovative way. I think I should investigate and give it a try :) Thanks for the tip.
I first got that idea with the Kris Barnett support on and got uncomfortable after sitting a while, so I stood up, rested the guitar + support on the table.

A few weeks ago, I installed strap buttons for a strap and it is wonderful! Should have done that long ago! I can play standing or sitting or kneeling (have not actually tried that yet lol).

Before I bought the Kris Barnett (now Sageworks), I made this DIY out of cardboard glued together with a hot glue gun. It works great! More comfortable on the leg than the Sageworks support because of the wide base.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MorneZaayman

Post by MorneZaayman » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:56 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:21 pm
Captonius wrote:
I first got that idea with the Kris Barnett support on and got uncomfortable after sitting a while, so I stood up, rested the guitar + support on the table.

A few weeks ago, I installed strap buttons for a strap and it is wonderful! Should have done that long ago! I can play standing or sitting or kneeling (have not actually tried that yet lol).

Before I bought the Kris Barnett (now Sageworks), I made this DIY out of cardboard glued together with a hot glue gun. It works great! More comfortable on the leg than the Sageworks support because of the wide base.
OMG This is fantastic! I am definitely going to make this!!!! It may just work out. Thanks SO much for the photos :) :merci:

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Captonius wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:56 pm
SteveL123 wrote:
Captonius wrote:

OMG This is fantastic! I am definitely going to make this!!!! It may just work out. Thanks SO much for the photos :) :merci:
That was the first one I made to test out an idea and was done in less than 45 minutes so the workmanship is rough. The cutout was an afterthought to make it lighter and easier to grab. It was done by drilling 4 holes then cut on an electric scroll saw. The marks and roughness are from it bouncing up and down against the stops of the saw. I plan on making another one from lessons learned. I'd make the cutouts on the cardboard pieces before gluing. The shape and height is also not ideal for me. On the next one, I'd extend the support towards the upper bout so the guitar sits balanced instead of the headstock dropping. I'd make the base even longer (sits on both legs instead of one) so I can move the support horizontally for variable positioning instead of fixed. I'll also add magnets to the support so it stays on the guitar (I already have magnets in the guitar).

MorneZaayman

Post by MorneZaayman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:39 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:32 pm
Captonius wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:56 pm
SteveL123 wrote:

That was the first one I made to test out an idea and was done in less than 45 minutes so the workmanship is rough. The cutout was an afterthought to make it lighter and easier to grab. It was done by drilling 4 holes then cut on an electric scroll saw. The marks and roughness are from it bouncing up and down against the stops of the saw. I plan on making another one from lessons learned. I'd make the cutouts on the cardboard pieces before gluing. The shape and height is also not ideal for me. On the next one, I'd extend the support towards the upper bout so the guitar sits balanced instead of the headstock dropping. I'd make the base even longer (sits on both legs instead of one) so I can move the support horizontally for variable positioning instead of fixed. I'll also add magnets to the support so it stays on the guitar (I already have magnets in the guitar).
I'd love to see the new one once it's done! It sounds like a fun project too.

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:47 am

Nice idea for the homemade support. Thanks for sharing it!

wchymeus

Post by wchymeus » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:16 am

I guess exercising is key. Go see a physio and ask for specific exercises. My physio literally saved me from my lower back pain with only 2 simple exercises... And same here, I had a ski accident in my early 20s and thought that this would never end.

Now I am happily just left with Bach problems... :-)
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:10 am

Captonius wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:39 pm
I'd love to see the new one once it's done! It sounds like a fun project too.
I went down to the basement to look for the remains of the Canon MB2720 printer box to make another guitar support that fits me better and noticed the internal printer support cardboard pieces and an idea popped into my mind. These 2 supports literally took less than a minute to make and is one of the 2 printer packing pieces cut in half with the knife shown. The taller one is just right for me while standing up resting it on the table and the shorter one is just right for me sitting. With such a long base, I can move it left or right (sitting) to find the optimum position. Even though I have the guitar strap, I still like to vary playing positions by sitting sometimes and resting it on a table other times. Now I have all bases covered. This is a lot less work than glue-ing up cardboard pieces. If you don't mind the looks, this is the way to go for a quick and cheap support. You wouldn't want to use this on stage but at home, who is going to know? :mrgreen:

I have not used my Sageworks support for a few weeks now. I think the only time I will use the Sageworks again is when the guitar leaves the house, which will be seldom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MorneZaayman

Post by MorneZaayman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:23 pm

wchymeus wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:16 am
I guess exercising is key. Go see a physio and ask for specific exercises. My physio literally saved me from my lower back pain with only 2 simple exercises... And same here, I had a ski accident in my early 20s and thought that this would never end.

Now I am happily just left with Bach problems... :-)
Hi there...

I was at the chiropractor and he gave me really cool lower back stretches and exercises I can do before bed. It's really been a great help.

LOL... Bach problems...I am not there yet but I will be one day ;)

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”