Twitching thumb

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Dekselsedek

Twitching thumb

Post by Dekselsedek » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:08 pm

Since my son is now almost 2 I have been able to squeeze in a lot of practice for the last 6 months. Which is great, and I might actually try to get some solo concerts around my hometown of Rotterdam. But I have noticed that lately, when I'm not playing, my thumb on my right hand keeps twitching. They are not great movements and don't bother me while playing, but still I am a little worried.

Does anyone have any similar symptoms? My practice routine is quite tough at the moment. I play some villa lobos etudes and barrios for technique practice. My program consists of the Jose sonata, theme and variation by Ponce, rodrigo invocacion y danza, Dyens Vals en skai/indifference/felicidade, Brouwer sonata 3. Of course I try to maintain things like Asturias and capricio Arabe. So quite demanding pieces for my level (Bachelor of music).

kloeten

Re: Twitching thumb

Post by kloeten » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:41 pm

The joints of my thumbs snap / twitch every time I bend them. Has been like this for as long as I can remember. I recall there was another thread on this topic.

EDIT:

Sorry, I misunderstood the term 'twitching'.
My case is very different from yours.
Last edited by kloeten on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:31 pm

I encourage you to see your doctor and have this checked out. You need peace of mind to continue your regimen successfully. Have you considered that your guitar playing may not be the cause? Good luck to you, and please let us know how you are doing.

SunnyDee

Post by SunnyDee » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Do they stop if you touch the thumb? I, too, urge you to get it checked out.
"Militantly left-handed."

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

First guitar was a vintage Russian 7-string classical.

Dekselsedek

Post by Dekselsedek » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:29 pm

I'm going to see a doctor if it remains for two weeks or gets worse. Of course it might not be guitar related, I had not thought of that yet. Touching the thumb does not eliminate the twitching.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”