Right Hand Position ( needs advice/corrections )

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Justivan

Right Hand Position ( needs advice/corrections )

Post by Justivan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:25 pm

Greetings to the lovely community of CG! :D

I know that this has been asked a lot but I would love your feedback about the placement of my right hand. I've recently bought a classical guitar to get back in playing guitar after a long break because life happened. I'm not a complete beginner since I've played for quite some time during my high school and college days. I'd like to call myself an eternal beginner since I just learned songs before that I want to play through tabs but never look into proper techniques. I really like solo guitar arrangements and I figured that classical guitar techniques is the way to go. Also, I love listening classical arrangements while at work. So anyway, to the main point ( please excuse the introduction, it just felt that it would rude of me to ask feedback without some sort of introduction of myself, since this is my first post aside from the mandatory post at the Introduction section).

As I have mentioned above, I recently started teaching myself classical guitar and I thought that it would be better to get feedback about my right hand position/form before going any further with daily exercises ( unfortunately, I don't have access to instructors nor do I have friends who play guitar. At least to where I'm currently residing. ) . I've seen Pumping Nylon by Scott, Aaron Shearer's ( proper form part ), and some lots of pictures and videos about the correct position of right hand guitar and most of them have different forms if not all. Maybe because of the difference of their physical attributes ( arm size ) or I'm just seeing it incorrectly but one thing is for sure. They all mentioned to find the most comfortable position. So I recorded myself playing to see what my right hand normally looks like when playing. Below are a few screenshots of my right hand from the video I recorded earlier. For the player's perspective ( last picture ). I just took it while positioning my hand when resting. I noticed that my right hand was like clawing as oppose to the position that my knuckle joints should be almost parallel to the strings that my fingers are touching. Please, any feedback/suggestion is highly appreciated. I would like to adopt a good form of finger placement and how to attack the strings correctly before going any further and do daily exercises. Thanks a ton in advance! :merci:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Right Hand Position ( needs advice/corrections )

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:03 pm

Hello Justivan, may I invite you to introduce yourself here?
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Justivan

Post by Justivan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:19 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:03 pm
Hello Justivan, may I invite you to introduce yourself here?
Hi Erik. I already did few days ago. Thank you for approving my post.

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:04 pm

Well it's difficult to say with certainty from just a few pictures.

From the top three, I wonder if you are deliberately holding the hand straight. In a world without gravity, the ideal would be for the hand to be in line with arm, which is what it looks like to me. A lot of people, myself included however, will let the hand relax and fall to a slight bend. Nothing extreme. The fingers seem a bit splayed out compared to mine but that's probably just differences in our hands.

I can't really tell from the last shot because it doesn't show the upper arm, but I'm worried that you might be bending at your wrist. Viewed from above (players perspective), the arm and the hand should be mostly in a straight line, maybe a slight, very relaxed bend.

Comfort is important and within certain parameters, a good indicator that you're getting it right. You certainly don't want to do painful stuff. Do try to keep hand tension at a minimum. Another indicator is, how does it sound? If it's not sounding right, something's wrong. Out of all the potential positions and movements that the hand can assume, I think the ideal is to choose ones that get us the sound we want, when we want it, without discomfort, and with efficiency.

I think you made a good observation when you stated they all seem to have different forms. A lot of people get teachers who can obviously help, but I think in the long run we all make our own technique. If you're going it alone, in addition to what you're already doing, get a method book. It'll be more systematic and it'll teach you to read notation that the vast majority of CG repertoire is in. There are some available for download on this site, although you might have to meet some posting requirements.

Hopefully somebody with better credentials will chime in.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

Daniel Penalva

Post by Daniel Penalva » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:02 pm

Hi,

Have you seen this thread in techniques forum ?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80875

As Mr Delcamp says, position in CG is product of past experience. In the Online CG Classes there is a lot of RH formatting exercises. Personally i think there is many things at stake to choose rh position, like tone quality, volume, texture, techniques requirements.

Your photos reveal that you do put your fingers oblique in relation to the strings, this may be good for some arpeggios but to do rest stroke techniques like picado you may prefer to put your fingers transversal in relation to the strings. I dont think there the best position.
Also i would use short nails and aim for precision in the technical practices:
Unhas.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

meouzer

Post by meouzer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:48 pm

I'm just an intermediate but I agree the fingers look splayed. Charles Duncan says that should not be. Duncan says the fingers should be together and so much so that he also says that for some players, overlapping the fingers is beneficial. On the other hand
at 2:28 onward of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwjX-m4LkYk you can see Ann Vidovic has some space between her fingers but they certainly aren't splayed.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi Ivan,

For what's worth, you seem to have a nice natural right hand position. If this is how your hand is when it is at its most comfortable "relaxed" state while managing to get a good tone out of the guitar, I'd say you've done well so far. I am not sure there is anything inherently wrong with your posture; adjustments will happen as you go along. Yes, your fingers may not be very close at the joints, but the fingertips are close together, and you do seem to have thin fingers for their length (another person with thicker fingers for the same length would have the appearance of them touching or very close at the joint, yet the distance between his/her bones would be exactly the same as yours) .

My one general advice would be to think critically and analyze what may or may not be applicable to you given your anatomy and hand geometry as you are reading various instructions in various guitar books, rather than taking them as an exact engineering/mechanical description - especially if written as a recipe (what to do) without an explanation of why.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Daniel Penalva

Post by Daniel Penalva » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:23 pm

meouzer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:48 pm
I'm just an intermediate but I agree the fingers look splayed. Charles Duncan says that should not be. Duncan says the fingers should be together and so much so that he also says that for some players, overlapping the fingers is beneficial. On the other hand
at 2:28 onward of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwjX-m4LkYk you can see Ann Vidovic has some space between her fingers but they certainly aren't splayed.
I think that this depends on hand's size too. I got small hands and fingers, thus I cant do a good tone in some arpeggios with the thumb on 6th string and IMA on first three strings without opening spaces between I M A.

Also i dont think is good to bend wrist in a way that the wrist is more distant from the guitar.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”