A guitar support that make your guitar sound better?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
SteveL123

A guitar support that make your guitar sound better?

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:18 am

I first wrote about this guitar support in this thread viewtopic.php?f=71&t=112432&start=15#p1207058 but I think it deserves it's own thread.

Yeah that's right, a guitar support that's easy to make, costs nothing and makes your guitar louder, more resonant, better sustain. I discovered these properties only after using it a bit after making one on a whim. It can be used sitting or standing next to a table.

How does it do that? I think it's due to less damping by your body due to no more contact. The vibration/ sound of the back is reflected by the cardboard.

Picture's should be self explanatory as to how to make one.
Who's going to try it? 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Re: A guitar support that make your guitar sound better?

Post by simonm » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:30 am

I haven't tried it (yet).

I suspect that every guitar support makes your "guitar" sound better. Why? By using a support (correctly) you automatically get a better position for the guitar neck and your hand positions improve dramatically so your tone is instantly better. The guitar doesn't change but the improved playing position does wonders for your playing.

Mårten

Post by Mårten » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:54 pm

I'll try it as soon as I get home👍

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:19 pm

It's a bit difficult for me to recognize what you did in the middle of the back wall of the cardboard box. Looks like a protrusion, but I'm not sure.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:44 pm

simonm wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:30 am
I haven't tried it (yet).

I suspect that every guitar support makes your "guitar" sound better. Why? By using a support (correctly) you automatically get a better position for the guitar neck and your hand positions improve dramatically so your tone is instantly better. The guitar doesn't change but the improved playing position does wonders for your playing.
It's not a question of having a guitar support vs no support, which puts your right hand/ fingers at a disadvantaged position resulting in poor tone. This cardboard support has three very small surface areas of contact to the guitar:

1. upper bout
2. lower bout
3. upper bottom bout

vs in your lap, which has much more surface areas of contact.

plus it has a reflector

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Mårten wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:54 pm
I'll try it as soon as I get home👍
I'd like to hear your feedback after you've tried it.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:53 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:19 pm
It's a bit difficult for me to recognize what you did in the middle of the back wall of the cardboard box. Looks like a protrusion, but I'm not sure.
It's a dent in the cardboard made by the weight of the printer. You do not have to recreate that. :D It serves no useful purpose as far as a guitar support is concerned.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:01 pm

When you build yours, try to make it so that the guitar sits balanced by itself. In my pic, I had to shim one end with a 3 hole binder to make it balanced. I'll be glue-ing some cardboard strips underneath to fix that.

Mårten

Post by Mårten » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:05 am

Hmm, I couldn't make one that felt alright. Felt a bit clumsy and not well balanced when playing but then I'm not the handiest person 🙂.
Gonna go to the store and see if I can find a better one.
I now use a footstool but I'm getting some back problem so I'm trying alternatives.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:18 am

It would be great to know the dimensions of the box and to see a picture how you actually hold it...

Apart from possible surplus advantages of your support I absolutely agree that every support improves your position and relieves you from the strain of using a foot stool.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:50 am

Dimensions on the inside are: 14.5" long 7.75" tall 4" deep

The cardboard came from a printer which cradles the printer to protect it and is not a conventional cardboard box. In the pic, you can see it is folded over so it is double layered and that gives it more stiffness than a regular cardboard box. If your's is too flimsy, you can hot glue more layers on to make it stronger/ stiffer.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:31 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:18 am
It would be great to know the dimensions of the box and to see a picture how you actually hold it...
Here's a pic. You don't have to hold it. It stays put by itself while playing. You only hold it when you get up.
20170731_111353-768x432.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:04 pm

How about some sound samples before and after?
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:37 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:04 pm
How about some sound samples before and after?
I do not own any decent recording equipment. You'll need to make one yourself to find out. That is if you are curious enough to do so.

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:42 pm

It looks like the guitar ends up pretty far offset to the left compared to where I play mine. Is that about how you liked your positioning before?

I just changed supports after about a year of using the "Tenuto" because of exactly that. Now I use a Barnett. The center of my sound hole is closer to my midline now, just barely to the left. I wanted the neck a bit closer without having to twist or hold it too steeply. I became aware of some back pain that tended to occur in my left lower back, and I believe it was happening due to a body twist/lean I would do to relax my left arm.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”