Finding good posture and hand positions with scoliosis

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Jules Wilkins
Student of the online lessons

Finding good posture and hand positions with scoliosis

Post by Jules Wilkins » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:42 am

I have been working extremely hard on trying to find a posture that allows me to have good left and right hand position. I have watched several videos on posture (limiting myself to those who themselves have proper posture) and have been experimenting with every aspect, all to no avail. I feel like I get close, only to be “assigned” a lesson (I am taking the online lessons starting at levels 1 and 2 consecutively with the express goal of replacing bad habits from being self-taught with good technique) that proves that I have not yet found a solution (in that it is impossible to play cleanly without introducing tension and pain).
My problem I am certain stems from my scoliosis (curvature of the spine). I figure without the scoliosis I would be about 2 to 4 inches taller (I am only 6’ tall, but leg wise I have great difficulty finding a car that fits comfortably as most seats simply don’t go back far enough). One potential issue then is the fact that my arms are long relative to my upper body, suggesting perhaps that my guitar should be held more vertical than the normal 45 degrees recommended. A bigger issue is that “curvature” of the spine is a misleading description, for as it curves it also twists…in my case by about 90 degrees. Other bones and muscles compensate somewhat so it is not as if I have a totally gimped physique, though it is immediately obvious to some, but my right scapula is heavily pronated. Among other things this shoulder is subject to getting very painful, and I am currently experiencing increasing back pain which I attribute to my guitar playing. Strengthening the back muscles should help so yesterday I purchased a Bowflex which I intend on using intermittently with my guitar practice routine.
Regarding finding the perfect posture, a bit of advice I found most logical is to sit down on the edge of a chair of appropriate height, check for a straight back and level shoulders, then raise both arms to the appropriate playing position on one’s imaginary guitar. Yes…that makes perfect sense because it will tell me how I should position my actual guitar and now all that is left is to find a way to cradle it in that position. I am glad I did this because it finally put to rest any illusion that such a position was even possible for me. For example, I can find a position where the fingers on my left hand are parallel to the imaginary frets at the first position (once I get to the third position I have no real issues), but it involves raising my elbow which is both uncomfortable and introduces tension and fatigue. When I drop my shoulder in a relaxed position my fingers go to a slanted position and any attempt to bring them back to parallel without raising the elbow again introduces pain and tension. That is not quite true though. If I move my arm (and shoulder) back the fingers relax into the recommended position, but if I then try to hold the guitar in that position the bottom is way too far forward, making my right wrist contact the top edge of the guitar instead of the arm and of course necessitating significant arching of the wrist in order for the fingers to reach the strings. In other words, if I get my right hand right it puts my left hand wrong and vice versa.
A guitar support allowing me to keep my feet flat on the floor might help I suppose, but given that I cannot hold an air guitar in proper form no matter the chair height or how I place my feet and legs I cannot see it solving my underlying problems. I am slowly coming to the conclusion I will be forced to simply choose which compromises I should make to minimize how my scoliosis disadvantages me.
1) Are there any other players out there with scoliosis and if so can you offer any words of wisdom?
2) Assuming I must indeed make compromises in posture and hand positions, what compromises are least likely to hinder my progress? My personal guess at present is to let the left hand fingers slant in first and second position.

ameriken

Re: Finding good posture and hand positions with scoliosis

Post by ameriken » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:10 pm

I've got scoliosis too and have to deal with some issues but for the most part I think I can obtain a somewhat proper position. There is another thread that addresses it somewhat. viewtopic.php?t=106311

An Ergoplay or other guitar support might be a solution.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Jules Wilkins
Student of the online lessons

Re: Finding good posture and hand positions with scoliosis

Post by Jules Wilkins » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:32 am

Thank you ameriken. Since posting my problem I did in fact order a Sagework Atlas Magnetic Guitar Support (after reading many reviews on various supports). Some supports I noticed won't allow you to sink the guitar down between the legs which i suspect would be an issue for me but other than that it occurs to me that most supports will enable one to position their guitar relative to their body in ways that the legs would not allow, or at least not without contorting the body. I also find that currently when I find a position that seems close my guitar wants to slide off my legs and I think that the Atlas will solve that problem as well. Other reasons for choosing the Atlas are that it has adjustments for tilt as well as height (the only one I think) and the fact that once I find an optimum position I can permanently secure the magnets and will thus be able to hold my instrument in the same position each and every time. I notice that every time I try a slightly different position my fingers have to relearn where the strings and frets are so being able to lock into the same position every time should allow them to relearn one last time which should help me advance more quickly. I look forward to receiving it and experimenting. I also found a link giving plans to build a guitar chair and am giving serious consideration to finally finding a good use to some hardwood I have had sitting about for many years now.
The link you provided as well as your personal experience gives me hope that I am on the right track. I will post an update once I have had my Atlas for a spell. :merci:

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”